ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH crossover using a digital snake?  (Read 6412 times)

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
Re: FOH crossover using a digital snake?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2019, 11:57:34 AM »

How is that three?

My downstage monitors come off the downstage stagebox, the drummer's wedge comes off the upstage stagebox, and the balcony fills come right off the desk. Three locations. All active, no amp rack.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »

Very true, that's basically how I ended my last post.

I know we all use them everywhere these days for mission critical connections but am I the only one who looks at a .50 cent RJ45 connector crimped on to the end of a cable and thinks I'm depending on this to work! I know Ethercon connectors beef them up and offer protection.
Yeah, and was what I implied in my first post.

The rush to throw overboard the analog snake is misplaced and ill-advised.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2019, 06:20:29 PM »

Plenum rated is used mainly for installs when the cable is ran in air return spaces and is generally has a stiffer outer jacket.

Look at tactile rated cat cable, RAT sound has a couple offerings.

If you do not already have the cabling I would look at just getting/making an ole fashioned drive snake with the number of channels you need plus a couple extra.
Thanks.  Wasn't sure if Plenum cables had another life in live portable sound.

I know we all use them everywhere these days for mission critical connections but am I the only one who looks at a .50 cent RJ45 connector crimped on to the end of a cable and thinks I'm depending on this to work! I know Ethercon connectors beef them up and offer protection.
Exactly!

The rush to throw overboard the analog snake is misplaced and ill-advised.
I struggle with people who immediately call me old-fashioned and out-dated for "still using analog" snakes.  I'm actually surprised by how many people have thrown analog over-board.  I do like the idea of having one cable "do it all", but the reality shows otherwise.

Read some great ideas here.  I haven't ruled out digital; just need to approach it differently.
Thanks for all the posts.

Mal Brown

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »

Bob has an interesting conundrum, a "legacy" DSP with serial connection and a more recent mixer/stagebox system.

Sounds familiar.   BSS Mini Drives in each of my 4 way power racks.  Soundcraft SI boards and stage boxes.   My real question is why not re-configure the location of the 260 ?  Do we really have to tweak the x-over from FOH ?  If so party on Garth ...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2019, 01:07:28 AM »

Thanks again for all the feedback on everything.  As mentioned before, I'm not anti-digital; my needs/setup still require analog for larger shows.

Looking forward... for those whom use cat-5/6/7, are you using outdoor rated cables?  Perhaps plenum rated?

Looks like I may go with the XLR to cat-5/6/7 converters to support a FOH xover control.  Considering this and using a digital snake option (Presonus), are there any cat-5/6/7 cable bundles (i.e. with 3 or 5 or ?? number of cables) already manufactured?  I see a lot of multi cable Ethernet bundles, but all with no termination.

Definitely not Plenum.  I'd never want it on a cable used in temporary situations, it's a bitch to handle compared to good cable.  For portable/temporary I prefer purpose-built cables made with a tactical catx.  The most recent one I purchased was a rat sound super cat cable for use with an AES50 system.

As far as catx mult, I'd stay away from it.  Stick with individual lines loomed together.  That way when one of them gets busted you're not out a whole mult but you just replace one line on a shop day and re-loom it.  I think there was a thread here recently about catx mult and the general consensus was to skip it.  The idea of mult where you've got snake, data, analog, and spare is great till you use that spare 'cause one busted.  Then you've gotta replace the whole thing if you want to keep a spare available.  Otherwise you're down to 3x and just waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Plus like others have said you need power as well so just loom it all up together in a trunk and rock-n-roll.

Peter Morris

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2019, 02:37:47 AM »

Standard practice today is putting the crossover (DSP) on stage and control it remotely from a computer.

If you have a analog crossover without remote capabilities I would consider replacing it or running a small, separate return multicore.

Thats exactly what I do - Lake LM26, Powersoft X4 or PLM20K at the stage end connected to the network port of our A&H dLive DM rack ...  the computor connected to the network port on the surface ... lots of other options.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 02:39:48 AM by Peter Morris »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2019, 02:37:47 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.