ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PSA - Do NOT Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet  (Read 1872 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
PSA - Do NOT Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet
« on: October 08, 2019, 11:29:17 am »

Thinking about upgrading to MacOS Catalina? Download the freeware app Go64 first to see what apps or parts of apps you have that will be broken by Catalina, which no longer supports 32-bit apps, like older versions of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or music apps like Pro Tools or Ableton Live.  The list is longer than you think... and while Pro Tools is 64-bit, the Video Engine is not. Various plugins are also still housing 32-bit code. For the fullest picture, choose Scan for "All Executables" https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

There are other non music/Adobe apps that are also impacted - dumb but useful things like Logitech's MyHarmony remote programming app, Wondershare AllMyTube, etc.
[/size]
[/size]Edited to change back to bigger font - not sure what happened.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 02:34:20 pm by Ned Ward »

Eric Snodgrass

Re: PSA - Do NOT Upgrade to MacOS Catalina Yet
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 11:52:31 am »

Thinking about upgrading to MacOS Catalina? Download the freeware app Go64 first to see what apps or parts of apps you have that will be broken by Catalina, which no longer supports 32-bit apps, like older versions of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or music apps like Pro Tools or Ableton Live.  The list is longer than you think... and while Pro Tools is 64-bit, the Video Engine is not. Various plugins are also still housing 32-bit code. For the fullest picture, choose Scan for "All Executables" https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ 
There are other non music/Adobe apps that are also impacted - dumb but useful things like Logitech's MyHarmony remote programming app, Wondershare AllMyTube, etc.

This is a cleaned-up version of the OP for those of us whose old eyes can't read four-pixels tall fonts. 

Riley Casey

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 12:51:17 pm »

I'm sure it's a cute little app but this info is already baked in to the Mac OS.  Simply go to the Apple icon in the left end of the menu bar, click " About this Mac" and then click "System Report".  Go to the Applications section and expand the window so you can see the last column labeled "64 bit".  You can sort the list by the title so that the 32 bit apps show up first.  Looking at mine I see right of that the d&b Array Calc app isn't 64 bit.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 01:03:42 pm »

Catalina is a MAJOR OS overhaul that will break a LOT of legacy code.  I've been testing the beta for a while, and certainly am not recommending customers jump on quickly, as I'm sure there will be a flurry of updates coming in the next few months to weed things out.

For reference, if you opened any apps on your machine and got a warning that says 'this app is not optimized and needs to be updated, blah blah blah,' that was Apple warning you that it WILL NOT FUNCTION in 10.15.

It really sucks when Apple simply abandons older code like it does.
Brian Jojade

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 01:16:18 pm »

Snip

Of course, the kludge of DOS and various windows stuff is fine? Not for me...
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 01:26:09 pm »

Of course, the kludge of DOS and various windows stuff is fine? Not for me...

What, the software than ran under Win3.1 won't work on Win7, 8 or 10?  Oh, the humanity!

Just poking you, Rob, but my observation is that Apple will abandon support for earlier code much more quickly than M$ does these days although that seems to be changing back to the Bad Old Days, too.

I remember when "It Just Works" was Apples marketing slogan; at least M$ never made that claim.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 01:48:16 pm »

now you tell me.... ::)

I've been getting reports about stuff I don't use not working for some time.

JR

PS: Apple is shifting from a hardware company to a services company so enjoy the free OS while you can.
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 02:33:37 pm »

I'm sure it's a cute little app but this info is already baked in to the Mac OS.  Simply go to the Apple icon in the left end of the menu bar, click " About this Mac" and then click "System Report".  Go to the Applications section and expand the window so you can see the last column labeled "64 bit".  You can sort the list by the title so that the 32 bit apps show up first.  Looking at mine I see right of that the d&b Array Calc app isn't 64 bit.

Riley - I'm well aware of the System Report and have used it in the past, but it doesn't list components of apps that are 32-bit and therefore broken like this app does.

On the "cute little app" I can see that Pro Tools, Ableton Live 9, Wondershare AllMyTube have 32-bit components and won't work. On System Report, it claims those same apps are 64 bit, which is incorrect. Pro Tools Video Engine is still 32-bit, but the Apple System Info doesn't catch executables an app may use.

Since the price is free, I'd suggest downloading it and seeing what pops up that may surprise you.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 02:37:28 pm »

Except the path to all 64-bit has been laid out for YEARS for developers - this isn't a "surprise!" announcement, as it was made clear during High Sierra Development that it would be the last OS to support 32-bit. Challenge for developers is that compatibility updates are incredibly time and resource intensive, but most consumers aren't willing to pay an upgrade price for it, so it gets kicked down the development priority list.

Since Avid won't update Pro Tools until May or June of next year, I'll stick with High Sierra until then.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 08:03:34 pm »

Yamaha CL/QL Editors and some Audinate stuff is still 32bit.
StagePlotPro is 32bit, but supposedly a new version is imminent.
Some MOTU software/drivers are 32bit.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 08:03:34 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.