ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Church intercom/public announcement system - smartphone capable  (Read 3875 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Church intercom/public announcement system - smartphone capable
« on: October 07, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »

Any thoughts on a smartphone app that can do this?

I know a system such as qSys or rane or symmetrix or xilica would work with some added components; but i'm curious if there is an imbeded solution already?

We use Digital Acoustics at my day job, but I don't think they have a smartphone app.

Requirements:
1.  Microphone / smartphone announcements (A smartphone app would limit access to only those with the permissions)
2.  Pre-recorded announcements (initiated via smartphone)
3.  Panic button capable (via smartphone)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Re: Church intercom/public announcement system - smartphone capable
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 05:08:14 PM »

I know a system such as qSys or rane or symmetrix or xilica would work with some added components; but i'm curious if there is an imbeded solution already?

We use Digital Acoustics at my day job, but I don't think they have a smartphone app.

Requirements:
1.  Microphone / smartphone announcements (A smartphone app would limit access to only those with the permissions)

I don't believe it will meet requirements 2 or 3, but the new QSC MP-M40 and MP-M80 will allow you to send pages from a smartphone. You record the page into the mic of the smartphone and then send it to the system.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »

Requirements:

We have done this on a show (which needed active shooter emergency notification into PA) using Unity Intercom.  App on phone android or Apple has logon with password and then PTT to announce through the PA.  Needs computer running the Unity server (apple) and an audio IO out the USB port.  Total cost for 3 users not including hardware is $700.00 (server plus I/O).  Sound quality full range 15kBW audio.

Needs external IP and the ability to open Port 20101 on your router.  Runs on cellular best - not wifi...

With additional equipment app can trigger other recorded announcements using GPO...

No pre record tho...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 07:50:31 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »

Needs external IP and the ability to open Port 20101 on your router.  Runs on cellular best - not wifi...

Pete, forgive me for the stupid question, but what exactly does "external IP" mean?  Is that a "public facing IP address"?  Or something else?  IOW, if we're using cellular data, how does the iPhone "see" the local Unity Intercom Server and how is that then addressed?

[i'm asking mostly to make sure that the things i say at AES next week about this are not wildly wrong as i kinda would prefer to not wildly embarass myself.  :) ]
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 08:01:35 AM »

Pete, forgive me for the stupid question, but what exactly does "external IP" mean?  Is that a "public facing IP address"?  Or something else?  IOW, if we're using cellular data, how does the iPhone "see" the local Unity Intercom Server and how is that then addressed?

[i'm asking mostly to make sure that the things i say at AES next week about this are not wildly wrong as i kinda would prefer to not wildly embarass myself.  :) ]

Yes.  The phone app is pointed to the public IP.  See the video and info in my website about UNITY.  http://www.bestaudio.com/unity

My server is at home and I use a service to actually find my ip.  try this:

Demo unity
Install client on your phones-they’re free.

In direct connection settings
IP is peterskine.selfip.com
Port is 20101

User is U6, U7, or U8 and pass is 1234

Works on any data cellular connection.

In the VOLUME section you will need to turn down the program feed.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:05:47 AM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »

Yes.  The phone app is pointed to the public IP.  See the video and info in my website about UNITY.  http://www.bestaudio.com/unity

My server is at home and I use a service to actually find my ip.  try this:

Demo unity
Install client on your phones-they’re free.

In direct connection settings
IP is peterskine.selfip.com
Port is 20101

User is U6, U7, or U8 and pass is 1234

Works on any data cellular connection.

In the VOLUME section you will need to turn down the program feed.

So the trick is Dynamic DNS.  Very cool.  When i was doing this trick at my last job [intercom over cellular] the company had a Fixed static Public IP address that they paid for through their ISP. but there are only a fixed number of those available and that can get costly.  It's also harder to remember when you're programming panels on site from a rental provider.  A Domain Name is much simpler and obviously more portable.

Thanks!

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »

Thanks, Pete, Unity Intercom looks perfect for an expandable solution.

Curious, having used the system. Would you be happy with Unity replacing a standard wired system such as Pro Intercomm LLC with the cellphone app and headsets? Uses: Theater/Live production. Thinking this might be a better solution thats more easily scalable for myself.

Also, Scot, this might be a fantastic embedded solution! Might have to figure out how to do the pre-record, but looks like it does everything else really well! Thanks!

Thanks!!

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 11:20:43 AM »

Curious, having used the system. Would you be happy with Unity replacing a standard wired system such as Pro Intercomm LLC with the cellphone app and headsets? Uses: Theater/Live production. Thinking this might be a better solution thats more easily scalable for myself.

Also, Scot, this might be a fantastic embedded solution! Might have to figure out how to do the pre-record, but looks like it does everything else really well! Thanks!

Thanks!!

1.  This is used all the time for live TV events, usually in outdoor events
2.  Consider battery life for Cell phones... some work all day like SONIUM  and an iPhone might be just a few hours.
3. Good cell service is key... I have found it isnt very good on wifi
4. While I have used it in stadiums and on city streets, sometimes the data met gets overloaded and comms take a minute to reconnect... thus not great for reliability.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 03:55:23 PM »

Thanks!!

What Pete said.  But also remember that Unity Intercom has client software for computers and tablets as well as cell phones, so anyone that has a fixed station can be hardwired using the computer they likely already have at their station.  The UI widget just sits in the corner of their screen and runs with whatever else they are doing.

It's also possible to hardwire iPads as well as Android devices for stationary use.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 02:39:10 PM »

What Pete said.  But also remember that Unity Intercom has client software for computers and tablets as well as cell phones, so anyone that has a fixed station can be hardwired using the computer they likely already have at their station.  The UI widget just sits in the corner of their screen and runs with whatever else they are doing.

It's also possible to hardwire iPads as well as Android devices for stationary use.

1.  This is used all the time for live TV events, usually in outdoor events
2.  Consider battery life for Cell phones... some work all day like SONIUM  and an iPhone might be just a few hours.
3. Good cell service is key... I have found it isnt very good on wifi
4. While I have used it in stadiums and on city streets, sometimes the data met gets overloaded and comms take a minute to reconnect... thus not great for reliability.

Thanks, guys, thats very useful info!

I am surprised the wifi not working as well as cellular.

---------

As far as the main topic is concerned we're looking at the QSC MP-M40.
It actually has a USB mp3 player that can host the pre-recorded files and a "panic button" file.
As well as recording on the app and then sending/uploading to the core a message, it's not live, but it is almost live which works well.
Embedded solution is a big pro.
User profiles with restrictions so we can have admin, security, user, front desk, etc... with different user privileges.
Future wall controllers are nice too.

Thanks!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 02:39:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 23 queries.