ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus Series iii "Key Filter" on Gate  (Read 1073 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
Presonus Series iii "Key Filter" on Gate
« on: October 07, 2019, 09:42:25 AM »

Anyone know what the Q value would be for the Presonus (Series iii) "Key Filter" gate functions?

Looking in the Presonus manual for detailed information on their "Key Filter" for the gate, didn't return what I was looking for.  All I could find was that the gate will open based on what the filter is set at. Did a search on this forum, but didn't find anything with focused on the key filter (what I did find was a few years old).

An internet search didn't return much of anything new that was already posted.

My last stop will be to contact Presonus; though, wanted to find out if anyone here has any other knowledge/experience on a (possible) Q width for the gate.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Presonus Series iii "Key Filter" on Gate
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 02:47:07 PM »

I would imagine that it is the width of the filter that is used to engage the gate. If you have say a snare you want to gate and it is heavy on the bottom end and too sensitive on the high end ( the hi-hat opens the gate ), you would then use a parametric filter to narrow the bandwidth down that will trigger the gate. If the drummer is light-handed, or inconsistent and can't get the same crack out of the snare on every hit, then you can widen or narrow the filter to get the needed bandwidth to get the gate to open more reliably. Too wide and it will open too often for stuff that isn't of interest and too narrow will cause it to be too picky about what makes it open. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 10:36:25 PM »

Thanks Luke.  On my analog rig, I have 8 gate channels.  Each of these channels can be tuned for the instruments (mostly drums) that it is gating.  Any frequency range can be set for a channel.  i.e.  I can gate a mic to open with any frequency range from 30hz to 120hz, or from 1K to 2.5K, or from 50hz to 5K, the bottom and top ranges can be set for whatever is needed.

The Presonus board has a wide range it can gate on, but it's only one frequency that triggers the gate.  Was thinking (hoping) that whatever frequency the gate is set at, that perhaps the gate would also be triggering on (maybe) an octave below and above the selected frequency.  The snare has a lot of frequencies in it; it would be nice to set the gate to open on that range of frequencies, instead of picking one (possibly very narrow) frequency.

Sean Anderson

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 12:07:54 AM »

Thanks Luke.  On my analog rig, I have 8 gate channels.  Each of these channels can be tuned for the instruments (mostly drums) that it is gating.  Any frequency range can be set for a channel.  i.e.  I can gate a mic to open with any frequency range from 30hz to 120hz, or from 1K to 2.5K, or from 50hz to 5K, the bottom and top ranges can be set for whatever is needed.

The Presonus board has a wide range it can gate on, but it's only one frequency that triggers the gate.  Was thinking (hoping) that whatever frequency the gate is set at, that perhaps the gate would also be triggering on (maybe) an octave below and above the selected frequency.  The snare has a lot of frequencies in it; it would be nice to set the gate to open on that range of frequencies, instead of picking one (possibly very narrow) frequency.

Bob, you could route the snare input to both the snare channel and an unused channel (do not send to mains). Next, carve out an eq range in the second channel. Then sidechain the snare gate to that heavily eq'd channel. This may work well for you, if you have spare channels.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 09:06:10 AM »

My first thought reading this thread was: Why gate a snare?

Second one: Your analog gates almost certainly also had just a center frequency and a variable slope (q). It was just presented differently to you. Wide freq band is low q, narrower is higher q.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 09:06:10 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.