ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bassboss Quad 21" Sub  (Read 10483 times)

Sean Brown

Bassboss Quad 21" Sub
« on: October 07, 2019, 02:54:58 AM »

Has anyone heard BASSBOSS's new quad 21" sub "The KRAKEN"? Looks very innovative (as far as I know it's not a manifold sub like the MTL-4) and impressive. Size 48 x 48 x 36. Powered sub- 8000w RMS. Going to a demo in a few days. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 03:05:36 AM by Sean Brown »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Bassboss Quad 21" Sub
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 03:38:25 AM »

Looks interesting, although I can see a couple of issues with the design.
Will be interesting to see if those issues are borne out in listening.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Taylor Hall

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 08:43:58 AM »

Interesting indeed. Hard to tell if it's sealed or ported from the photos, unless those cavities in each corner are ports they seem like an excellent spot for unwanted harmonics to build up...
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 12:17:06 PM »

Interesting indeed. Hard to tell if it's sealed or ported from the photos, unless those cavities in each corner are ports they seem like an excellent spot for unwanted harmonics to build up...
The four corner ports, like any bass reflex port, will have "unwanted harmonics", port resonances, above the sub passband.

The short offset horns used in the Kraken increase the upper sub pass band output compared to a front-loaded bass reflex. There is nothing particularly "innovative" about that approach, functionally it the same as the L-4 quad 15"s we used in the mid 1980's, or EV's MTL-4, only the "horn" (manifold) has moved from the cabinet center to the outside.

Art

Aaron Weidner

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 07:23:56 PM »

Looks interesting, although I can see a couple of issues with the design.
Will be interesting to see if those issues are borne out in listening.

Chris

What are those couple of issues?  :)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 08:04:40 AM »

What are those couple of issues?  :)

Well, there's the limited upper bandwidth by putting the driver part-way down a short horn - when sound hits the (closed) back and comes forward, you've got a delayed source leading to cancellations. Might not be much of an issue, but depends on the crossover point.

There's also the potential for cone sag over a couple of years.

Just seems to me that there's not much advantage over a pair of 2x21" cabs, but the size/weight of the thing means there's no chance of moving it solo.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Rory Buszka

• Gearmonger
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 01:19:00 PM »

Well, there's the limited upper bandwidth by putting the driver part-way down a short horn - when sound hits the (closed) back and comes forward, you've got a delayed source leading to cancellations. Might not be much of an issue, but depends on the crossover point.

There's also the potential for cone sag over a couple of years.

Just seems to me that there's not much advantage over a pair of 2x21" cabs, but the size/weight of the thing means there's no chance of moving it solo.

Chris

While I agree that there probably isn't any advantage with this approach over a pair of 21" cabinets based upon the relationship of output to enclosure volume, I don't think the loading of the driver is an issue as you stated. If it were, you couldn't horn-load any large woofer in the way Danley does in their DBH218 and many of their tapped horns, or in the way that Bassmaxx used to do it (with the driver offset along a horn), and you would need some kind of phase plug or very carefully designed throat section that normally is only pursued for mid-frequency horns. The path length distance here is 14-16" at most, and that would create cancellation only above 400 Hz; below that, the duct is being pressurized more or less uniformly. (And this is a subwoofer - it will never be asked to produce 400 Hz at any significant level.) The issue I see with it is that it is large, and probably very difficult to handle. It will sell to some customers who want to be able to say "Hey man, it's a quad-21", but it probably won't see much touring use.

Friends don't let friends mix a band from the stage.

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

Sean Brown

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 05:09:39 PM »

If any one is interested here's the production version:

https://www.bassboss.com/buy/kraken-powered-subwoofer/

#kraken
#Bassboss

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 10:58:57 PM »

While I agree that there probably isn't any advantage with this approach over a pair of 21" cabinets based upon the relationship of output to enclosure volume, I don't think the loading of the driver is an issue as you stated. If it were, you couldn't horn-load any large woofer in the way Danley does in their DBH218 and many of their tapped horns, or in the way that Bassmaxx used to do it (with the driver offset along a horn), and you would need some kind of phase plug or very carefully designed throat section that normally is only pursued for mid-frequency horns. The path length distance here is 14-16" at most, and that would create cancellation only above 400 Hz; below that, the duct is being pressurized more or less uniformly. (And this is a subwoofer - it will never be asked to produce 400 Hz at any significant level.) The issue I see with it is that it is large, and probably very difficult to handle. It will sell to some customers who want to be able to say "Hey man, it's a quad-21", but it probably won't see much touring use.

David is catering to the DJ market. I'm sure he would be happy to sell to portable operators, though.

I'll wager this thing delivers the goods based on past BASSBOSS experience, but I have not heard it.  It was just released last month.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 05:14:16 PM »

If any one is interested here's the production version:

https://www.bassboss.com/buy/kraken-powered-subwoofer/

#kraken
#Bassboss
460 pounds of fun, did you hear the demo you mentioned last October?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 05:14:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.