ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a basic LED "ACL" bar or just single light?  (Read 8951 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Is there a basic LED "ACL" bar or just single light?
« on: October 06, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »

I kinda want to put up 3 ACL 4-bars in our youth room. I have been looking around for a modern LED version of this classic and can't really find one.

There are several moving, multi-headed types of lights, but it's not exactly what I want. I wish they made those heads in stand-alone par type fixtures, but with the super tight beam.

Maybe I could use some of the newer LED pinspots if they are bright enough. This is a smaller stage. I'll be using some 60 watt LED movers (Intimidator Scan 305) and your basic mismash of LED pars. So it doesn't have to compete with pro lights, but I want it to be bright enough to punch through a wash.

Got any suggestions?

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
Re: Is there a basic LED "ACL" bar or just single light?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 11:08:13 AM »

Here's my wash lights. You can see this is a smaller stage. Maybe 25x15 or so.

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 11:45:56 AM »

I kinda want to put up 3 ACL 4-bars in our youth room. I have been looking around for a modern LED version of this classic and can't really find one.

There are several moving, multi-headed types of lights, but it's not exactly what I want. I wish they made those heads in stand-alone par type fixtures, but with the super tight beam.

Maybe I could use some of the newer LED pinspots if they are bright enough. This is a smaller stage. I'll be using some 60 watt LED movers (Intimidator Scan 305) and your basic mismash of LED pars. So it doesn't have to compete with pro lights, but I want it to be bright enough to punch through a wash.

Got any suggestions?

There might be some, but there wouldn't be much motivation to package them as 4 bars. Aircraft Landing Lights (ACL) were 28V lamps, so were packaged as bars of 4 in series to use with 120VAC. Since any modern replacement wouldn't require the series wiring they could be packaged individually. Any bright narrow beam unit should be be able to simulate what ACLs did, which was usually beams in haze or streaks on backdrops.

Mac

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 12:20:08 PM »

There might be some, but there wouldn't be much motivation to package them as 4 bars. Aircraft Landing Lights (ACL) were 28V lamps, so were packaged as bars of 4 in series to use with 120VAC. Since any modern replacement wouldn't require the series wiring they could be packaged individually. Any bright narrow beam unit should be be able to simulate what ACLs did, which was usually beams in haze or streaks on backdrops.

Mac

True that.

It's mostly that I'm accustomed to seeing them in groups of 4. I figured there might be something out there to simulate this effect. It probably doesn't sell very well though since it's kind of a one-trick pony.

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 02:39:33 PM »

Well, Elation has the cuepix4 and ChauvetPro has the Strike4 but they are rather overkill and no doubt above budget.  Looking around at Amazon, I was intrigued with the U'King and Donner "beam pinspot" fixtures.  They re 19W, RGB(maybeW), dmx control and have a yoke.  I could see rigging four of them in a quad. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 02:25:53 PM »

Well, Elation has the cuepix4 and ChauvetPro has the Strike4 but they are rather overkill and no doubt above budget.  Looking around at Amazon, I was intrigued with the U'King and Donner "beam pinspot" fixtures.  They re 19W, RGB(maybeW), dmx control and have a yoke.  I could see rigging four of them in a quad.

Here's the white only (I think) version of that light. These are all over eBay, and I've thought about making a 4-bar of these just to see how well they work.

https://ebay.to/2ASqSLm

This Donner light has a reviewer showing that it does have RGBW led's (see pictures):
https://www.amazon.com/Donner-Spotlight-Pinspot-Lightning-Control/dp/B019GFDK10

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »

I have a 10w white only version of the above led pinspots and IMO it beats the 12v ACL, don't remember if I bought that fixture online or locally but I had to search for the white only version.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 06:57:31 PM »

Here's the white only (I think) version of that light. These are all over eBay, and I've thought about making a 4-bar of these just to see how well they work.

https://ebay.to/2ASqSLm

This Donner light has a reviewer showing that it does have RGBW led's (see pictures):
https://www.amazon.com/Donner-Spotlight-Pinspot-Lightning-Control/dp/B019GFDK10

Just not sure how much punch those little guys would actually have. I ended up buying 6 of the American DJ Saber Spot. https://www.adj.com/saber-spot-rgbw

I'll let you know how well they work. I figure I'll do three groups of two lights to start with. I just want to get some beams happening in there. If they work out I'll add some more next year.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 06:58:28 PM »

I have a 10w white only version of the above led pinspots and IMO it beats the 12v ACL, don't remember if I bought that fixture online or locally but I had to search for the white only version.

By 12v ACL do you mean a pinspot? It wouldn't be hard to beat that.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »

By 12v ACL do you mean a pinspot? It wouldn't be hard to beat that.
Yes.. but to be clear this is comparing a chauvet 30w acl pinspot to the 10w led pinspot.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:18:08 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.