ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a basic LED "ACL" bar or just single light?  (Read 8816 times)

Steve Garris

Re: Is there a basic LED "ACL" bar or just single light?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 12:48:23 PM »

Just not sure how much punch those little guys would actually have. I ended up buying 6 of the American DJ Saber Spot. https://www.adj.com/saber-spot-rgbw

I'll let you know how well they work. I figure I'll do three groups of two lights to start with. I just want to get some beams happening in there. If they work out I'll add some more next year.

Please do. Those ADJ's look like the real deal, and you can at least believe the 15W claim. With that narrow beam, those should be nice.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 02:01:39 PM »

Please do. Those ADJ's look like the real deal, and you can at least believe the 15W claim. With that narrow beam, those should be nice.

I like how the beam comes out collimated. It doesn't "flip" after it leaves the lens like the cheap ones do.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 07:27:44 PM »

Tim, I was wondering what your conclusion was.  Searching on line I find a lot of aircraft LED replacement lamps, but nothing like the various 28V PAR lamps that were (are) used in concerts.

I have used both the 250W and 600W PAR 64 - 28V ACL's.  I also came across PAR56 30V locomotive headlights which made for slightly smaller lower powered "ACL" effects in the pre LED days.  The 28V PAR36 ACL lamp was used to make "mini ACL 4 bars".  When I first bought 4 light "audience blinders" I used these wired in series instead of the "correct" 120V 650W DWE wired in parallel.  A few of the audience member were very well lit!  I was corrected by the LD after the first show.  Now the new LED audience blinders contain some amber LED to emulate the glow of dimmed DWE's without needing 2600 watts of dimmer per set of four!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 11:50:16 PM »

Tim, I was wondering what your conclusion was.  Searching on line I find a lot of aircraft LED replacement lamps, but nothing like the various 28V PAR lamps that were (are) used in concerts.

I have used both the 250W and 600W PAR 64 - 28V ACL's.  I also came across PAR56 30V locomotive headlights which made for slightly smaller lower powered "ACL" effects in the pre LED days.  The 28V PAR36 ACL lamp was used to make "mini ACL 4 bars".  When I first bought 4 light "audience blinders" I used these wired in series instead of the "correct" 120V 650W DWE wired in parallel.  A few of the audience member were very well lit!  I was corrected by the LD after the first show.  Now the new LED audience blinders contain some amber LED to emulate the glow of dimmed DWE's without needing 2600 watts of dimmer per set of four!

The lights have been delivered, but I took the week off to do a bunch of projects around the house. I'll get back to it this coming week.

Thats funny. I could just imagine a 4 light loaded up with ACL's! haha

Yeah we used both flavors of ACL in the bad old days too. If we had the 120k rig out we had four 4-bars of Par 64 sized ACL's/ For club shows we had another four 4-bars of par 38 ACl. They really made an impact in a club! We would routinely put up 24-36k of pars plus the 4 little ACL's.

Man, what a pile of work we gave ourselves back then........
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2019, 05:04:57 PM »

Let me know what you think please. I'm about to order 4 of the Saber Spot Go battery versions. They cost a lot more than pinspots but I think they will do a lot more, as well.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

John Fruits

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 07:57:07 PM »

Let me know what you think please. I'm about to order 4 of the Saber Spot Go battery versions. They cost a lot more than pinspots but I think they will do a lot more, as well.
I recently noticed that 4Wall/usedlighting.com has some ADJ B-stock units for sale.
https://www.usedlighting.com/44262/adj-saber-spot-go?ref=weekly
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 04:50:47 PM »

I recently noticed that 4Wall/usedlighting.com has some ADJ B-stock units for sale.
https://www.usedlighting.com/44262/adj-saber-spot-go?ref=weekly

I found probably the same supply but on amazon. I payed 99 each for 6 of them.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 05:01:31 PM »

Here's a little update on the "LED ACL" prject.

I got the Saber Spots in and I am fairly impressed with them. I also got some B-stock Intimidator 305 scanners as well. More on that later.

To be right up front about it, these are club level lights!. I will be using these on a stage with a 10 foot height, about 12 foot deep and maybe 25 feet wide. Not a big space at all! The seating in there is maybe 150 if they are packed in.

Now on to the show.

I unpacked one of each light and threw it in automatic mode just to see whats up.
White and white the Saber Spot seems a little lacking.

But things change dramatically when the Spots are using color. Colors out of the saber spot seem a good bit brighter than just the white.

The Intimidator 305's are a 60 watt LED source. Pretty dang bright for the size, weight, and price I'd say! Here is a few shots of the two lights overlayed so you can see relative brightness. The 305's in a royal blue will allow beams from the Saber Spots to highlight pretty well I think.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 05:09:10 PM »

Just FYI I was about 20-25 feet away from that wall. No lights on in the room, but there are large windows on my right. It's an overcast day though, so make of that what you will. Ambient is brighter than a club, darker than most churches.

So here's a bit about the Intimidator 305's.

I chose these because the brightness is clearly there for a club sized fixture, but also they have one extremely important feature that makes them look like big-boy lights. Rotating Gobos. Yes. They only have one gobo wheel, but they rotate. Plus it has a simple 3 facet prism so you can split those rotating gobos and have some real texture on stage. The cracked glass gobo will be especially useful I think!

Did I mention they were small?

The Saber Spot is in the window back there.

Gobos and prisms.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 10:15:33 PM »

Thanks Tim.  I was hoping the Saber Spots were brighter, but they are what they are.  There are some LED ACL aircraft replacement lamps out there.  Some are very pricy!  I found a comparison video for incandescent, HID, and LED versions of the PAR 36's.  I don't have the link, but it was interesting.  I'll try to find it.  The LED and HID were very pricy compared the 28V PAR 36.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 10:15:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.