ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breaking Out an L5-30  (Read 3892 times)

Kevin Graf

Re: Breaking Out an L5-30
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 01:40:36 PM »

Mike, no shit I had this happen at a wedding for at least 600 right in the middle of speeches........................................................
I have had people plug hot-pots into the same circuit that I was using for the sound system in an all day sports event. The outlet was on the other side of the wall in the lobby. Now I tape over those outlets.  Lucky it wasn't on the computer scoring system circuit.
Speedskater

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 08:34:00 AM »

I too amp in the process of breaking out of an L5-30 to a distro.
My need stems from a way to get power from my two Honda eu3000is generators (L5-30 outlet) to the distro.
The distro has two L14-30 inlets with each inlet going to two 20 amp/breaker'd circuits.

Instead of changing the inlets on the distro to L5-30's I did the following:

Yesterday, I made two extension cord/adaptors.
30' of 10/3 SOOW cable w/ L5-30 male on one end and L14-30 female on the other end.
On the L14-30 female I put a "jumper" combining the X/Y terminals....very easy to do.

I tested it and it works well.

My need stems from a remote outdoor gig last April where the PA/stage ended up being under a tent due to inclement weather.
On that gig I was fortunate enough to be able put the genny on the down-wind side of the stage (approximately 20' away from the stage) using a 12 gauge extension cord....  It was a windy day, thus the exhaust fumes were purged/vented.  If the sides were on the tent, I would have been in a bind.

The issue with that is the fact that I could only use 20 of the genny's available 23 amps.
Using my cords/adapters (going into both sides of my distro) I will now have all 23 amps available per generator/side of my distro (total of 46 if I use both gens).

Of course, is this UL approved (probably not) but it would get me through a "one off" if needed.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:44:58 AM by Mike Monte »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »

He was pissed at me for the whole night because I batted the charger out of his hand as I could not under the circumstances verbally communicate the urgency of leaving my shit alone.

I hear ya Scott.  Some people are just clueless about when to leave us alone - which is most of the time.  Most also lack the common courtesy to ask before touching someone else’s (very expensive and mission-critical) equipment.

Now I tape over those outlets.

This is what I do too, especially when I know I’ll need 100% of that circuit’s capacity.  In my corner of the market I’m usually competing with the obnoxiously large bounce houses powered with janky Home Depot extensions cords, though I’ve come to start finding electric scooters being plugged into my stage stringers as well.  One time I came back to find a random person taking a nap on my stage with his scooter charging and feet propped up on my subwoofers!   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.