ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of problem have I created?  (Read 2548 times)

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
Re: What kind of problem have I created?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 12:50:59 PM »

You are correct, I did miss the point. I think at this point I am just going to buy passive crossovers based on the info provided by the driver manufacturer, which seems to be the simplest solution.

Thanks for the input..

Without measurement equipment and other tools, not to mention know-how, this is probably the best option.  And I hope you're referring to a schematic from the manufacturer of the coaxial driver. 

I will add to this that filters based on a text book "8 ohm load" are really only useful for designing active crossovers and for general discussion of crossovers.  The real impedance curve of a typical driver is anything but "8 ohms".  A compression driver in particular will have significant ups and downs near the crossover region which means that the resulting filter curve, and sometimes more importantly, the resulting impedance curve are rather complex.  Unless you're going into very sophisticated crossovers with zobel networks etc, or you're lucky,  you're not going to be able to best the response of even an economy speaker today with a generic crossover.  Nor with a crossover intended for different drivers/horn/system. 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Steve Crump

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 05:05:34 PM »

Have you seen these?  http://www.usspeaker.com/radian%20324-1594-1.htm they have some slick features.  May be a good match for your application.

Thanks for the link, but the manufacturer supplied a diagram and component list, so if I can find the specific parts needed I am going to build the crossovers. Honestly, I really wish I would have donated the speakers to the local community theatre.  But, unless I complete the project the speakers have no value. So, forward I shall go....reluctantly.

Steve Crump

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 05:45:29 PM »

Or a crossover and biamp.

No biamp...lol. I am going farther with this project than I intended to as it is. Hopefully in the end I will have a monitor that I can grab and use with different amps without a lot of fuss with just a HP filter at the amp and some eq changes at the board. I really don’t intend for these to be my main monitors, just the ones for certain applications.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 05:45:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.