ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I need suggestions on how to label male xlr ends  (Read 17732 times)

Steven warner

Re: I need suggestions on how to label male xlr ends
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 12:14:21 PM »

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I was amazed when I did several searches and turned up next to nothing, seems like someone could make some money making custom numbered end sets that are engraved or even just labeled strain reliefs that fit neutrik ends

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 12:40:53 PM »

The reason I think the only thing permanent should be the engraving of the company that owns the cable is that we do all kinds of stuff and the cables could get moved from work box to work box. For all I know the LD could have all of what would be my number 4s in the air if they went and robbed them without asking.

I'm curious how the LD got your snake tails up in the air. No one in this thread is talking about labeling mic cables. Remind the LD he should be using DMX cables.

Mac

Misread it earlier. Oh well, shit happens.

Like "LD"s can remember that stuff

TomBoisseau

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I was amazed when I did several searches and turned up next to nothing, seems like someone could make some money making custom numbered end sets that are engraved or even just labeled strain reliefs that fit neutrik ends

Actually, somebody does.  Whirlwind supplies their snakes (or at least some of there snakes) with numbered male connectors, white on black, that are very easy to read.  They are essentially a Neutrix design but have a "flat" area on the side with a nicely permanantly labeled number.  I have been able to order them through my local dealer. Just specify what numbers you want.

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/bulk-connectors-multipins-adapters/audio-connectors/inline-connectors

Tom
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:11:27 PM by TomBoisseau »

Nate Conti

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 08:32:06 PM »

I came across a cheap reel snake that I have decided to rebuild. I have no idea what the best way is to label the male ends.
     I would like something highly visible and least half decent looking. The only thing I have thought of so far involves plastic print outs under clear heat shrink. I would really like to do something better, thoughts?

buy these and print a label with a label maker and put them on it.

http://audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/XLR_Cord_Ends/Colored%20Rings/XLR_Colored_Rings_CR_cutsheet.shtml
Crescent Pro Audio

Randall Hyde

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 03:05:19 PM »

I came across a cheap reel snake that I have decided to rebuild. I have no idea what the best way is to label the male ends.
     I would like something highly visible and least half decent looking. The only thing I have thought of so far involves plastic print outs under clear heat shrink. I would really like to do something better, thoughts?

Get yourself a Dymo D1 labeler; purchase the expensive (and permanent) polyester tape.
You'll find the labeler comes in handy for a million and one things on your rig, not just the snake cables.  I paid something like $180 for a "professional" labeler. A $40 one from Office Max will work just as well. The  important thing is to get good D1 tape (polyester rather than vinyl). The vinyl tape is quite a bit less money, and okay for non-permanent stuff (or stuff that doesn't have to suffer through mechanical stress all  the time), the polyester tape is far better for cables and such.

Nate Conti

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »

http://audiopile.net/products/Adaptors_Connectors/XLR_Cord_Ends/Colored%20Rings/XLR_Colored_Rings_CR_cutsheet.shtml
Crescent Pro Audio

Gus Housen

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »

Just go get any cheap label maker from office max.

George Dougherty

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 01:06:14 AM »

Guessing you're not talking about the XXR rings there.  Not sure why Neutrik went with those when the others with the flat spot for a label work so much better.  You can find the XCR rings elsewhere for about $.25/ea.  I like dealing with Mark and Liz, buy a lot of stuff through them, but their pricing on the rings isn't as good as elsewhere.

Skip the label maker and just use a sharpie.  Labels will peel off, Sharpies can be re-written as they fade.  I've been using the XCR rings to color code for length and writing an identification number on both ends of mic cables for several years now.  It's nice when you have to trace a loose cable back to the snake box.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »

The usual numbered heatshrink is too hard to read in low light.  I like a large number on the XLR, and color coding using the resistor color code.

thomas jones

• NE WI
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 01:39:10 AM »

What's the matter with the screaming across the room and pulling the cord till the connector rips off method?
I came late but I made up for it by leaving early.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 01:39:10 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.