ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is there a limit to devices that can connect to a console?  (Read 2611 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Why is there a limit to devices that can connect to a console?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2019, 10:43:21 AM »

Eh my point is a Raspberry Pi can host a webserver and 20+ clients can login without issue using $20 hardware. A ~$5000 soundboard should be able to do the same.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 12:00:02 PM »

Eh my point is a Raspberry Pi can host a webserver and 20+ clients can login without issue using $20 hardware. A ~$5000 soundboard should be able to do the same.

In my case a 20+ thousand dollar CL5 surface.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 01:05:02 PM »

Hosting a webserver is vastly different than realtime control of a surface.  If your web server hiccups for a second and the page takes slightly longer to load, most people wouldn't notice.

If your console suddenly became unresponsive, and adjustments made took 2-3 seconds to happen, suddenly that console would be considered a piece of shit and replaced with something that doesn't do that.

The limits they put in place are there to make sure that the resources of the console are NEVER taxed beyond the worst case scenario for remote control. That way, it works all the time.

Just a few short years ago, the concept of 10 tablets being able to control a single mixer was an insane concept.  Now that it's more mainstream, that limitation seems a little lower than some may like.  As time goes on, I'm sure manufacturers will see the demand for more devices being able to connect, and will produce hardware that can do more.
Brian Jojade

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »

Hosting a webserver is vastly different than realtime control of a surface.  If your web server hiccups for a second and the page takes slightly longer to load, most people wouldn't notice.

If your console suddenly became unresponsive, and adjustments made took 2-3 seconds to happen, suddenly that console would be considered a piece of shit and replaced with something that doesn't do that.

The limits they put in place are there to make sure that the resources of the console are NEVER taxed beyond the worst case scenario for remote control. That way, it works all the time.

Just a few short years ago, the concept of 10 tablets being able to control a single mixer was an insane concept.  Now that it's more mainstream, that limitation seems a little lower than some may like.  As time goes on, I'm sure manufacturers will see the demand for more devices being able to connect, and will produce hardware that can do more.

When Yamaha first came out with the iPad control for CL/QL the limit was ONE device, so yeah we've made progress.  :)

Goalposts keep moving...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.