ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is there a limit to devices that can connect to a console?  (Read 2603 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Why is there a limit to devices that can connect to a console?
« on: October 02, 2019, 04:08:32 PM »

So just wondering here. Most consoles limit the number of phones or ipads or whatever that can connect to them. Why? It seems like an arbitrary amount too, since often it's 10 devices. If these things are using existing network technologies why couldn't it be a hundred devices? Why limit it? Especially on bigger desks like I'm using (CL5's). I hit the device limit all the time with a fairly reasonable church band. I'd hate to think what a big horn band would do.

Is there a legitimate reason to limit devices?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Why is there a limit to devices that can connect to a console?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 04:24:00 PM »

So just wondering here. Most consoles limit the number of phones or ipads or whatever that can connect to them. Why? It seems like an arbitrary amount too, since often it's 10 devices. If these things are using existing network technologies why couldn't it be a hundred devices? Why limit it? Especially on bigger desks like I'm using (CL5's). I hit the device limit all the time with a fairly reasonable church band. I'd hate to think what a big horn band would do.

Is there a legitimate reason to limit devices?

It seems strange to me too.

The control is TCP and is fairly low bandwidth.

The meters is UDP and fairly high bandwidth (considering).

I'd setup the devices to link up to a multicast address and take away any processing duties of the desk for the data-intensive part.

I could see the console being overwhelmed by too many input sources, it would be hard to tell 50 devices hey this control is locked while device 1 adjusts a parameter, but the race conditions would seldom happen with what most of us are using as many devices (personal mix apps).

dLive's custom control doesn't have a limit though I assume its in the hundreds of devices (though can be bogged down from too much metering), so there has to be some design considerations and methods around the device limit.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 04:52:09 PM »

DLive I thought had a limit of something like 40 connections.
Seems to me that on any connection that's getting realtime meter data, you'd have to limit the number of devices or things would get pretty laggy pretty quick.

I expected the limitations have more to do with responsiveness than anything else. Over 10 and stuff starts to slow down and be non-responsive...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 05:10:24 PM »

The connection is just that, a connection. The limit isn’t tcp or udp.

Each device that connects is actually connecting TO a computer program running in the desk. The device requests actions to be done. The architecture of the computer in the desk determines how many controllers can connect.
The older a Yamaha desks could only do one.
Also, each connections uses resources, ram & cpu. That is always a limited resource.
Another issue is that a program in the desk needs to keep track of the requests from the remote devices and deal with conflict.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 05:24:02 PM »

Many times you buy into a chipset and get what the chipset manufacturer decided to implement.

Limited memory, bandwidth, stack and realtime performance of other tasks than data communication must still work so you must limit available resources to make everything roll.

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 11:28:29 AM »

Processing power, pure and simple.   Implemented DSP has a finite limit and the implementer has to decide how to allocate that.  In the case of products like the XR-18, ui-24r and other lunch pail mixers or the soundcraft SI series, there is generally no external computer doing processing.  If attached, they are recorders or sometimes clients.  All the processing happens inside the mixer.

Older architectures like the original Presonus SL boards were different.  There the external computer interfaced to the board and handled the client connections passing control information off to the board.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 01:38:19 PM »

It seems strange to me too.

The control is TCP and is fairly low bandwidth.

The meters is UDP and fairly high bandwidth (considering).

I'd setup the devices to link up to a multicast address and take away any processing duties of the desk for the data-intensive part.

I could see the console being overwhelmed by too many input sources, it would be hard to tell 50 devices hey this control is locked while device 1 adjusts a parameter, but the race conditions would seldom happen with what most of us are using as many devices (personal mix apps).

dLive's custom control doesn't have a limit though I assume its in the hundreds of devices (though can be bogged down from too much metering), so there has to be some design considerations and methods around the device limit.

In the case of Yamaha Monitor Mix you only get master metering anyway. Actually I'd be happy without metering at all on phone apps. You just need to adjust levels, which is super low bandwidth.

I can understand the need to limit actual "full mix" apps. Whether they be ipad or computer based. That is a lot more bandwidth transmitting all the meters to the client.

I was an early, early user of remote mixing and on my 01v96 I had to turn the meters off after I got things up and running, or the response was just too slow.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 08:53:38 PM »

How many clients can dance on the head of a pin... er, connect to the console server?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 09:20:01 AM »

This is sort of like asking why power amps are limited to a specific number of watts.  Why can't they simply just pass along as much power as the wall outlet will provide?

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 12:31:38 AM »

Actually I'd be happy without metering at all on phone apps. You just need to adjust levels, which is super low bandwidth.
Personally I vote metering all the way as I dearly appreciate having a hi-res RTA on my tablet EQ screen for ringing out monitors :)
..db

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 12:31:38 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 26 queries.