ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose L1 Compact As FOH Speaker  (Read 8239 times)

Robert Lunceford

Re: Bose L1 Compact As FOH Speaker
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »

The Bose L1 compact is a terrible Fisher Price kids toy dressed up as a pro audio speaker. Jerry are you a Bose fan or did you just see this unit as a potential solution to your problem? Don't fall the marketing BS on the website that claims this thing can do all sorts of magic, it's just not possible with a 6" line of tiny drivers The thing I really despise about Bose is the value quotient.. you really do not get good value for your money with a $1k retail price. This box in particular is pretty bad IMO, it's really flimsy and not very powerful with no more output than half of the average $300 home theater in a box. I get that you want something small and light and realistically for the small retirement home gigs you hardly need a PA but that is all the L1 compact would be good for.. it would be totally overwhelmed in front of a larger crowd. If you want some good value for your money I'd suggest you pick up a single EV ZXa1 and an aluminum stand, these sound really sweet.. are light at 19lbs and while they don't get as loud as a larger PA speaker a single box will easily outclass an L1c and you will have saved $300 or more.

https://youtu.be/xzp9YiEhJPM

Steve Crump

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 10:52:38 AM »

https://youtu.be/xzp9YiEhJPM

I do not own a Bose system and never plan on purchasing one. I can admit that one reason, (not the only reason) that I have never even considered purchasing one is because of the guys that I work around that own Bose systems and think they are the end all-be all for sound. I know that is not much of a reason, but it works for me.

But, with all the bashing that goes on concerning the Bose systems this post by Robert made me laugh (at myself).

Pat Metheny...What would he know?.....LOL. ;D  I would say he is qualified.

Only artist to win Grammy Awards in ten different categories[21]
Down Beat Hall of Fame, 2013
Miles Davis Award, Montreal International Jazz Festival, 1995
Orville H. Gibson Award, 1996
Honorary Doctorate of Music from Berklee College of Music, 1996[22]
Guitarist of the Year, Down Beat Readers' Poll, 1983, 1986–'91, 2007–2016
Best Jazz Guitarist, Guitar Player magazine, 1982, '83, '86
Best Jazz Guitarist, Guitar Player magazine Readers' Poll, '84, '85, 2009
Best Acoustic Guitarist, Acoustic Guitar magazine Readers' Poll, 2009
Echo Award for Best Guitar Instrumentalist – International for TAP: John Zorn's Book of Angels Vol. 20, 2014
Echo Award, International Ensemble of the Year, Kin, 2015
Missouri Music Hall of Fame, 2016
Lifetime Achievement Award, JazzFM, 2018
Elected into Royal Swedish Academy of Music, 2018
2018 NEA Jazz Masters, 2017[23][24]
Honorary Doctorate of Music from McGill University, 2019
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:57:52 AM by Steve Crump »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 11:41:42 AM »

I do not own a Bose system and never plan on purchasing one. I can admit that one reason, (not the only reason) that I have never even considered purchasing one is because of the guys that I work around that own Bose systems and think they are the end all-be all for sound. I know that is not much of a reason, but it works for me.

But, with all the bashing that goes on concerning the Bose systems this post by Robert made me laugh (at myself).

Pat Metheny...What would he know?.....LOL. ;D  I would say he is qualified.

Only artist to win Grammy Awards in ten different categories[21]
Down Beat Hall of Fame, 2013
Miles Davis Award, Montreal International Jazz Festival, 1995
Orville H. Gibson Award, 1996
Honorary Doctorate of Music from Berklee College of Music, 1996[22]
Guitarist of the Year, Down Beat Readers' Poll, 1983, 1986–'91, 2007–2016
Best Jazz Guitarist, Guitar Player magazine, 1982, '83, '86
Best Jazz Guitarist, Guitar Player magazine Readers' Poll, '84, '85, 2009
Best Acoustic Guitarist, Acoustic Guitar magazine Readers' Poll, 2009
Echo Award for Best Guitar Instrumentalist – International for TAP: John Zorn's Book of Angels Vol. 20, 2014
Echo Award, International Ensemble of the Year, Kin, 2015
Missouri Music Hall of Fame, 2016
Lifetime Achievement Award, JazzFM, 2018
Elected into Royal Swedish Academy of Music, 2018
2018 NEA Jazz Masters, 2017[23][24]
Honorary Doctorate of Music from McGill University, 2019

Pat is a wonderful guitarist and composer.  Probably the best reason to like him was his description of saxophonist Kenny G "...he has a limited improvisational vocabulary".  8)

If Mr Metheny likes Bose, he's close to the mothership (a few miles on the Mass Pike) and probably has a guest pass in his car... but he's not providing audio to The Masses, which I think disqualifies him from *our* profession.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 11:49:50 AM »

Pat is a wonderful guitarist and composer.  Probably the best reason to like him was his description of saxophonist Kenny G "...he has a limited improvisational vocabulary".  8)

If Mr Metheny likes Bose, he's close to the mothership (a few miles on the Mass Pike) and probably has a guest pass in his car... but he's not providing audio to The Masses, which I think disqualifies him from *our* profession.

You didn't go see the Clair-provided tour with all Bose?   ;)
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Steve Crump

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 12:06:24 PM »

Touche...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 05:39:12 PM »

For what ever it's worth in Pat's video it looked there were multiple towers, I'm going to say each one had a different mix of something going to it.

Saw him in a theater some years ago on a very non Bose PA and it sounded great.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 05:42:36 PM »

Mr Metheney undoubtedly prefers the sound achieved by his Bose system to the sound system that you would supply to provide audio to the masses. Mr Metheney seems to care more about quality than quantity. Wish there were more like him in the music business rather than those that turn music into hamburger for mass consumption.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 08:31:12 PM »

Mr Metheney undoubtedly prefers the sound achieved by his Bose system to the sound system that you would supply to provide audio to the masses. Mr Metheney seems to care more about quality than quantity. Wish there were more like him in the music business rather than those that turn music into hamburger for mass consumption.

If it's on stage, it's part of the back line rig.  If he likes it, fine.  I'll enjoy the music either way.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 08:46:21 PM »

From the video it is stated that there are approximately a dozen of the Bose systems spread around on the stage.  Looks as if each instrument is amplified and reproduced on it's own Bose system.  Essentially being used as backline amps that Pat can control the balance of and in essence performing as a sort of stage monitor system for Pat personally.  Ground stacked line arrays (ugh) are clearly visible stage left and right presumably as the house PA.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »

For what ever it's worth in Pat's video it looked there were multiple towers, I'm going to say each one had a different mix of something going to it.
The FOH guy said “we have twelve altogether”.  My guess is you are correct, each tower handles a different “instrument”.
..db

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 23 queries.