ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Splitting Mixing Board Main LEFT/RIGHT outputs  (Read 3790 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Splitting Mixing Board Main LEFT/RIGHT outputs
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 07:54:33 AM »

Thank you all ... a lot of good info.  Very much appreciated.  So I really don't require a DA, but out of curiosity and in the interest of erring on the side of caution, I started looking at the RANE DA216s and found it interesting that I couldn't find one with XLR ins/outs.  They have these "Phoenix" or "Euroblock" connectors - which I would have to get adaptors to go to XLR.  The other brands (ROLLS, Nady, Behringer, Whirlwind) have XLR ins/outs but only 8 outputs (4 per side).  Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I only found the RANE DA216s has 16 outputs.  Does anyone know of a 2x16 DA that has XLR ins/outs?
Euroblock and Phoenix connections are generally used in installs.
Think "Stadium without Danley"  8)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Steve Ferreira

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 12:04:44 AM »

Thank you all ... a lot of good info.  Very much appreciated.  So I really don't require a DA, but out of curiosity and in the interest of erring on the side of caution, I started looking at the RANE DA216s and found it interesting that I couldn't find one with XLR ins/outs.  They have these "Phoenix" or "Euroblock" connectors - which I would have to get adaptors to go to XLR.  The other brands (ROLLS, Nady, Behringer, Whirlwind) have XLR ins/outs but only 8 outputs (4 per side).  Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but I only found the RANE DA216s has 16 outputs.  Does anyone know of a 2x16 DA that has XLR ins/outs?

I'd mount the DA in the rack with the equipment it's serving then use the phoenix direct to the amps.  For the inputs connectorize them on a rack panel.  Using input panels vs directly patching to the equipment is a cheap way to protect the equipment connectors from overuse/misuse. 

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 08:25:50 PM »

Euroblock and Phoenix connections are generally used in installs.
Think "Stadium without Danley"  8)
Chris.

this^^

Audio DAs are generally not necessary for most sound systems for all the reasons already discussed.  They ARE often used in permanent installs essentially as a way to balance different outputs as well as a way to "isolate" the different pieces of gear from each other; not so much in a grounding sense but more in a fault protections sense.  If you have all your amps essentially Y'ed together than a short ANYWHERE in the wiring shorts out ALL the inputs.  Using a DA helps guard against this situation.  In an install an audio DA is cheap insurance.  And most install gear does NOT use XLR connectors as they are large and expensive and harder to terminate than phoenix connectors.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 09:48:48 AM »

To be clear, minimum load impedance for full output voltage swing (max current) and output impedance are not the same thing. A power amp may be able to drive a 4 Ohm load to full voltage but has an output impedance of  miliohms. Just keeping the terms straight.
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 10:48:49 AM »

Hello,

Newbie here.... Can someone advise me on what is the best way to split mixing board main LEFT/RIGHT outputs?
I don't mean just a single Y splitter to split into two lines; 
Ron Roberts
Fairfield, CT

Two words... "Daisy Chain."  If the BIG boys do it why cant you...

We have chained "Hundreds " of amps together and its fine..

I have seen installations with the AES Digital lines Chained together for many, many amps.. and its fine..

Now granted we have started to use the Focusrite Rednet Systems to Create " DA" outputs for drive or press purposes... But often each one of those concurrent outputs drive dozens of amplifiers all chained together...

You are doing better then most with the Split 6.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 02:35:18 PM »

The OP's description gives me the mental picture of a bunch of 2 way loudspeakers piled up, driving by an equally impressive pile of 30 year old amplifiers.  I hope I'm wrong.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 07:48:55 AM »

The OP's description gives me the mental picture of a bunch of 2 way loudspeakers piled up, driving by an equally impressive pile of 30 year old amplifiers.  I hope I'm wrong.

This ^^

I was hoping someone might be asking why he needs to do that. Want to enlighten us?
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 03:04:25 PM »

I was thinking zoned (walled) distributed system? Hoping anyway :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 03:04:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.