Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Electrical codes in building DIY distro?

(1/3) > >>

Sam Saponaro Jr:
Are there any electrical codes that need be followed when building a 220V distro?? I did go through residential/commercial electrical back in high school so I'm familiar with hooking sub panels,proper grounding etc....But anything I should know as far as the tie in end??
 My simple little plan is for a small 4 circuit distro. Plan to Mount a small subpanel (the type that has no main just space for 4 single or 2 double poles)to ply wood. 4x 20amp single pole breakers each breaker feeding a 4x4 "quad box" mounted to the plywood. Use 12ga. MC cable to feed the quads. Now my plan is to use a 6' 50 amp electric range pigtail to feed the panel(the kind with a 50 amp 4 conductor plug on it). Allot of places I've worked have a 50 amp outlet at the stage.
Next plan was to make and extender cable,useing range cable with a 4 conductor 50amp outlet on one end and stripped end on other for locking into a panel if no 50amp plug is available. Plan to carry a couple differant 50 amp double pole breakers(Square D type Westinghouse type)
 Mainly I need a circuit for Main PA(main amps,processing mixer),one for Sub amps and two for lighting(still hauling par 56s ugh!!). So a simnple 4x 20 amp should do. Figure two 20 amp breakers per leg is 80% load on a 50 amp main(on building panel).
Sound Good?

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Sam Saponaro Jr on October 02, 2019, 12:12:26 am ---Are there any electrical codes that need be followed when building a 220V distro?? I did go through residential/commercial electrical back in high school so I'm familiar with hooking sub panels,proper grounding etc....But anything I should know as far as the tie in end??
 My simple little plan is for a small 4 circuit distro. Plan to Mount a small subpanel (the type that has no main just space for 4 single or 2 double poles)to ply wood. 4x 20amp single pole breakers each breaker feeding a 4x4 "quad box" mounted to the plywood. Use 12ga. MC cable to feed the quads. Now my plan is to use a 6' 50 amp electric range pigtail to feed the panel(the kind with a 50 amp 4 conductor plug on it). Allot of places I've worked have a 50 amp outlet at the stage.
Next plan was to make and extender cable,useing range cable with a 4 conductor 50amp outlet on one end and stripped end on other for locking into a panel if no 50amp plug is available. Plan to carry a couple differant 50 amp double pole breakers(Square D type Westinghouse type)
 Mainly I need a circuit for Main PA(main amps,processing mixer),one for Sub amps and two for lighting(still hauling par 56s ugh!!). So a simnple 4x 20 amp should do. Figure two 20 amp breakers per leg is 80% load on a 50 amp main(on building panel).
Sound Good?

--- End quote ---

Nope, those panels are UL listed for installation not portable use. 

My advice is just pick up a lunchbox distro from Lex and be done with it.

Erik Jerde:
Yes, lots of codes to follow.  Perhaps the most pertinent is that distorts now have to be listed.  This effectively ends your plans if you donít want to risk getting shut down by the local AHJ.

Sam Saponaro Jr:
Ooohh.........and there you have it.
Wow I remember allot of bands with homemade distros not terribly long ago made from service entrance panels and long cables with both breakers and (Eeekk) clamps.Hell we had a panel mounted in a rack with a gazzilion foot feeder cable and breakers to terminate at the panel with one group I was with. Either they were illegal then or codes have changed....either way there goes that idea. :( :(

Jeff Bankston:
Here in los angeles it would need to be safety approved and that cost lots of money. Get a Lex.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version