ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back to SM58's  (Read 5053 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Back to SM58's
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2019, 02:59:23 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqBZ6xjYDVE

Lets try this with some chinese mics and see what happens! lol.

I've got nothing against SE or any other mics for that matter, but I can't stand the fanboy-ism that happens everytime a new mic player comes on the scene. "These are the greatest, why would you use those old dinosaurs!!!1!"

Well those old dinosaurs are the standard to which your mics are measured. If you been in this business long enough you probably have used SM58's that were as old or older than you are. And they are still in service paying dividends to the owner after decades of hard use.

The mic swingers of the punk scene, the stand kickers of industrial, and the outdoor festival providers in seattle all agree that you just can't beat a good old 58 for toughness and reliability. When you want to buy a rider accepted mic, and keep it for the long term, there is none better than the 58. Audio performance doesn't even enter the equation. It's what the riders will accept, so thats what providers will provide.

^^^ THIS

I've said this a dozen or more times on the PSW forums: if you or your staff are the only people who have to be pleased with an equipment purchase decision you should buy and use whatever makes you happy.  When you need to make *other people* happy, you need to have what they want.

If you ran a car rental business and only had the cars you liked, you'd have a much narrower market (and that might be the point of your biz, which is another matter) from which to profit.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Dave Dermont

• Forum Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • From The Great Pocono Northeast
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2019, 09:36:06 pm »

Beyerdynamic has been around longer than Shure and the M88 has been in production longer than the SM58. I like the fact that Beyerdynamic still manufactures the M88 in their home country.

The M88 is a great mic.

What other mic can be great on a trumpet, great on a vocal, and great on a bass drum?

Have you noticed that they are over three times the price of an SM58?
Dave Dermont

Warning: Dates on calendar may be closer than they appear

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2019, 11:26:35 pm »

Beyerdynamic has been around longer than Shure and the M88 has been in production longer than the SM58. I like the fact that Beyerdynamic still manufactures the M88 in their home country.

I love everything about the M88 except the price tag, and it's not the "universal" mic that every singer seems to know well.  I've had 2 performers in the last 15 years ask for Beyer M88 or M69.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2019, 11:30:05 pm »

Friends asked for more cowbell. I recorded this with 2 SM58 mics. One was given to me and needed the connector. I bought the other for $5.00 and put a new windscreen on it. I have a really spread out double bass drum kit. This recording was done in a real hurry. I think the 58's did a nice job considering one was above the kit and the other was laying on the carpet 3 feet in front of the bass drums. My snare drum was tuned loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Q5bpDd-oc

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:38:26 pm by Jeff Bankston »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2019, 07:56:34 pm »

I'll give it to you guys that the SM58 is the measuring bar when it comes to vocal microphones.  It is also true that they are universally accepted more than any other microphone.  It is also true that they are nearly the most bullet proof mic out there (the SM57 actually takes that award in my book)

What isn't true is that they win very many A/B comparisons with most better microphones in their price range.  There are better sounding mics out there for most vocalists.  I am not saying that some vocalists wouldn't pick them out in a blind test ..... but my belief is that is mostly because some people have become accustomed to the SM58 "sound".  Most vocalists would pick something else in a blind test IME.

Still, you can't go around running sound without a bunch of them in your bag :)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2019, 01:26:54 pm »

Still, you can't go around running sound without a bunch of them in your bag :)

Sure I can. I just put up a load of e935s. If someone has a mic they like to use, I ask them to sing a line through one of mine to see what they think. The only time someone swapped their mic in was when they had a Beta-87 and preferred the top-end sizzle.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2019, 01:39:22 pm »

Sure I can. I just put up a load of e935s. If someone has a mic they like to use, I ask them to sing a line through one of mine to see what they think. The only time someone swapped their mic in was when they had a Beta-87 and preferred the top-end sizzle.
Chris

Love the 935s.  Very smooth response. Rarely doesn't work. Less filling. :o
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2019, 03:04:06 pm »

Love the 935s.  Very smooth response. Rarely doesn't work. Less filling. :o

+1

I'll bring my 935 mics to gigs even when there's a house mic package. 
I'll break out my sE V7 only if there's a female vocalist who could use the low-end boost (due to the proximity effect of the mic) on a noisy stage. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2019, 03:04:06 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.