ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avantis - A&H Completing the Trilogy: SQ, dLive, ???  (Read 19250 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Avantis - A&H Completing the Trilogy: SQ, dLive, ???
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »

Personally, I don't quite get what y'all are saying as far as price.
Okay, yes. dLive is better bang for buck. But it's not too extreme.
Sure if you get the C2500 or C1500 dLive starts making a lot of sense compared to Avantis.

FYI Avantis MAP is already lower than introductory pricing.

MAP pricing & apples to apples (24 faders) comparison:
SQ6 (48/36) + GX4816 = 8k
Avantis (64/42) + GX4816= 14.5k (45% over SQ)
dLive C3500 (128/64) + CDM48 = 24k (42% over Avantis)

For a non apples-apples comparison:
dLive C2500 (128/64) + CDM48 = 20k (28% over Avantis)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2019, 02:21:05 PM »

Personally, I don't quite get what y'all are saying as far as price.
Okay, yes. dLive is better bang for buck. But it's not too extreme.
Sure if you get the C2500 or C1500 dLive starts making a lot of sense compared to Avantis.

FYI Avantis MAP is already lower than introductory pricing.

Caveat - I don’t know what MAP or street are for any of these systems right now, but these are the reasons I think the Avantis is too expensive relative to DLive based on what I do know:

- There’s a lightly used C3500/CDM48 system on the Marketplace right now for $15K.
- If you need more than 12 inputs at FOH, the price gap between Avantis and DLive narrows by $1k as the Avantis doesn’t have a second SLink/DXLink port on the surface. The DLive does.
- I often need more outputs than inputs. Avantis has 16 on stage; DLive has 24. If that’s a factor, that’s another $1000+ to the Avantis to be at parity with DLive.
- Though this will I’m sure change, Avantis has no offline editor or remote control apps
- I don’t find that much utility to the second screen on the c3500 surface. I realize there’s fader count difference with the c2500 vs Avantis, but in my use case that’s not a huge factor, so I am comparing the C2500 to Avantis.

Things i like about the Avantis:
- I suspect the Avantis UI will be cleaner and more modern than DLive. I think I would find more utility for the screens split by channels rather than by function as on the DLive c3500.
- I do some shows where 12 inputs and 12 outputs would be adequate, so I wouldn’t have to bring the rack.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2019, 03:03:48 PM »

Caveat - I don’t know what MAP or street are for any of these systems right now, but these are the reasons I think the Avantis is too expensive relative to DLive based on what I do know:

- There’s a lightly used C3500/CDM48 system on the Marketplace right now for $15K.
- If you need more than 12 inputs at FOH, the price gap between Avantis and DLive narrows by $1k as the Avantis doesn’t have a second SLink/DXLink port on the surface. The DLive does.
- I often need more outputs than inputs. Avantis has 16 on stage; DLive has 24. If that’s a factor, that’s another $1000+ to the Avantis to be at parity with DLive.
- Though this will I’m sure change, Avantis has no offline editor or remote control apps
- I don’t find that much utility to the second screen on the c3500 surface. I realize there’s fader count difference with the c2500 vs Avantis, but in my use case that’s not a huge factor, so I am comparing the C2500 to Avantis.

Things i like about the Avantis:
- I suspect the Avantis UI will be cleaner and more modern than DLive. I think I would find more utility for the screens split by channels rather than by function as on the DLive c3500.
- I do some shows where 12 inputs and 12 outputs would be adequate, so I wouldn’t have to bring the rack.

You make good points, and I tend to agree with you.

I think as usual it comes down to use-case and isn't so cut and dry Avantis vs dLive.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2019, 08:00:55 PM »

Uhmmm...

SQ6 8k
Avantis over SQ: ((14.5/8)-1)*100 = 81.25% more, or SQ is 45% less
dLive 3500 over Avantis: ((24/14.5)-1)*100 = 65.51% more, or Av is 40% less
dLive 2500 over Avantis: ((20/14.5)-1)*100 = 37.93% more, or Av is 28% less

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2019, 04:09:32 PM »

Did any one on here see the Avantis mixer at AES in NYC this week? If you did do you know the name of the A&H fellow that was at the booth? The thinner one.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2019, 09:39:03 AM »

Did any one on here see the Avantis mixer at AES in NYC this week? If you did do you know the name of the A&H fellow that was at the booth? The thinner one.

I talked to him but don’t remember his name. He assured me that the circuit boards in the dLive mix racks are coated. When I suggested that they’ll sell a shitton of Avantis he seemed pleased and said the only problem is building them fast enough. More when I’m back on a real keyboard.
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2019, 05:27:05 PM »

As someone who has actually had my hands on an Avantis and who has two on order I can tell you that these consoles are going to be awesome for us midlevel providers!  I spent the summer on dLive and love it.  These are very close to dLive, much closer than a website can show.

I own two GLDs and a QU, this is much more than just a replacement for the GLDs.  This is not at all like SQ.  SQ is like a QU on steroids.  If you think of the GLD as a baby iLive, you'll think of this as a baby dLive.

Unlike the dLive though, the Avantis has two useful screens that represent the strips below them.  On the dLive, the right screen is a configuration screen and the left screen is the processing screen.

Not having as many rotary controls is a non issue.  It still has the knob for selected attributes plus the rotaries above the Channel strips become your parametric EQ controls when selected.

The screens are much better than GLD!

I have two on the way with a Gx4816 and a GigaAce card for digital split.  This setup is considerably less expensive than the dLive C3500/DM48 that I was considering.  And I can still use my AR2412/AR84 with them if I need to.

Givin the cost of these I have a feeling that I will be selling several of them to venues and HOWs around town.  Yes we are dealers.  Biggest problem will be the wait due to allocation for any customers that want them.

For those of you trying to figure out some rational value based upon List or Map pricing, don't even worry about it. Either you'll want to grow into this from whatever you've been using or you spend significantly more for dLive only if you actually need the additional capabilities.  For us, these are way more than capable for every show we do.  We will continue to implement our GLDs quite a bit but the Avantis consoles will be going out on all of the higher profile shows.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2019, 08:13:45 AM »

We have an Avantis in the shop right now.  We sold our C3500/CDM48 and will but 2 Avantis.  We also have two SQ6.  We're going to sell one and get an SQ5 instead.

For us, we need to have consoles that are on riders OR that just work and do what we need them to at a decent price point.  We thought that the SQ might fit the bill for smaller festival stages.  They work, and they're better than an M32 or anything else at the price, but the Avantis is really a giant step up.  Having 24 channels of visual feedback on the screens, lined up with the faders, is something you don't get from another manufacturer until you get to consoles 4x the price.  I think it goes a long way to facilitate better mixes.

Folks on PSW complain like to about wanting more processing channels, outputs, etc.  For us, we're looking for 40 input channels and maybe 12 outputs.  We don't do 8 mies from house plus zones or 12 stereo in-ears.  We find that once it gets complicated, tours are carrying.  We also have CL5, CL3, SC48 for those events. 

Anyway, Avantis seems very very close to the dlive and the UI is pretty great.  It will take a bit of getting used to and there are a few layout options not quite there, but it should be very easy to walk up and mix on.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2019, 08:13:45 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.