ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DL32 + M32 and X32R digital split AND WSG for FOH  (Read 1263 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
DL32 + M32 and X32R digital split AND WSG for FOH
« on: September 29, 2019, 01:35:28 PM »

Been working on this for a few weeks now, and I'm leaning toward my idea not being possible... figured I would ask here to see if anyone knows something that I don't.

Scenario:

Stage Rack has:
DL32 stage box (master input)
X32 Rack + IEM gear + Wireless vocal receivers

FOH rig has:
M32R Live w/X-WSG card
Waves SoundGrid Server (Server One)
Talkback

I'm facing a couple of challenges:

a) I can't get the talkback to route back into the X32 Rack so that the artists can hear talkback through their IEM

b) I'm not sure I've got the best "digital" split config set-up... I got it to work, and analog gain is controlled by FOH, but it seems "messy"

c) I'm not sure if I can incorporate the Waves SG server into the set-up... I have the internal synchronization for the M32R set to "AES50A" so that everything else will work, and I believe that will render the WSG set-up inoperable. I also don't want the WSG to route back into the IEM rig - it's just for FOH use.

I'm going on tour with a group later this year, and we're opening for the headliner, so I am trying to keep everything as compact and tidy as possible. Trying to avoid an analog split snake and whatnot. And, because they use the X32R for IEM, I figured it would be extra nifty to leverage my DL32 and M32R, and just use the DL32 as the lone stage box for everything.

Any ideas/suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:37:48 PM by Steve Litscher »

Robert Lofgren

Re: DL32 + M32 and X32R digital split AND WSG for FOH
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »

Can you explain your intended setup more in detail?

How you want to utilize wsg?
Are you using the actual talkback functionality or just a mic on a channel?
How do you preferably want the split to work?

With the rumored forthcoming v4 firmware (don’t ask me when it drops) you will get better routing options since the blocks-of-8 limitation will be lifted and you may benefit from this in your setup.

Been working on this for a few weeks now, and I'm leaning toward my idea not being possible... figured I would ask here to see if anyone knows something that I don't.

Scenario:

Stage Rack has:

FOH rig has:
M32R Live w/X-WSG card
Talkback

a) I can't get the talkback to route back into the X32 Rack so that the artists can hear talkback through their IEM

b) I'm not sure I've got the best "digital" split config set-up... I got it to work, and analog gain is controlled by FOH, but it seems "messy"

c) I'm not sure if I can incorporate the Waves SG server into the set-up... I have the internal synchronization for the M32R set to "AES50A" so that everything else will work, and I believe that will render the WSG set-up inoperable. I also don't want the WSG to route back into the IEM rig - it's just for FOH use.

I'm going on tour with a group later this year, and we're opening for the headliner, so I am trying to keep everything as compact and tidy as possible. Trying to avoid an analog split snake and whatnot. And, because they use the X32R for IEM, I figured it would be extra nifty to leverage my DL32 and M32R, and just use the DL32 as the lone stage box for everything.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Jonathan Hole

• Sound Resume
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 03:59:37 PM »

Scenario:

Stage Rack has:

FOH rig has:
M32R Live w/X-WSG card
Talkback

Any ideas/suggestions?

I run almost identical setup but with Core + DL32 + router + wireless recovers + IEM transmitters in one rack and I use iPad to mix FOH in situations with limited FOH, festival/quick turnaround, opening act/shorter set, etc.  I use the M32R when we are the headliner or only act and larger shows.  Obviously we are using the DL32 for all aux outs, so when using the M32R I simply setup the wireless access point to the M32R instead of the Core. (I have a 2 ft ethercon that I disconnect from Core, turn Core off when using M32R) This eliminates the TB routing issue as all outputs are on the DL32 no matter.  I don't worry about Waves outboard when using Core and iPad mix. 

I also happen to have a X32 Rack in the truck ready to go with one show that replaces the Core should it go out and one show that replaces the DL32 should it go out, obviously cutting down the ins/outs in that case but we can limp through a show with 16 channels and 5 aux outs if needed.  All this is probably obvious but thought I'd throw it out there, sometimes good just to talk it thru.

FYI:  The TB issue is of course using a virtual output to a physical output on a 2nd stage box which is the X32 Rack - to do that you'll need to move a group of M32R outputs to the X32 Rack using AES B but IMHO not worth it.  A quick and dirty workaround would be to set a M32 out (if you have a spare) into a channel on the X32 Rack and then it can be mixed into their ears.  Too much to worry about for me, especially if you have a failure and that's why I keep my X32 Rack offline as backup for either mixer and/or stage box if needed.  Hope some of this helps!

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »

Ok, quick update and sorry for the slow reply - spent the rest of the day in the shop working on the rig.

I think I have it dialed-in, but TBH, I didn't focus on the talkback mic at all - just wanted to experiment with WSG and the routing.

I routed Channels B1-B16 over to the X-WSG card, and then returned WSGS through Aux 1 - 4. Only gives me four channels, but that's really all I need. I'd love to be able to insert it on whatever channel I'd like, so hopefully new firmware routing will allow for that.

I'm still not convinced that my routing is "the best" but it seems to work...

What I'd like to have is the ability for:
- M32R to control analog gains
- X32R serve as IEM mix/output
- DL32 serve as main input + FOH output; depending on venue, M32R may have to be FOH output
- WSG to be able to return more than 4 channels, and to be able to mute WSG effects via Mute Group

I'll diagram and document what I have after I get home today.

Thanks again everyone.
-Steve

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.