ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amp recommendations 300-500W a side 8Ohms  (Read 1986 times)

Brad Jekko

Amp recommendations 300-500W a side 8Ohms
« on: September 26, 2019, 09:42:05 PM »

I have been looking for an amp to power a pair of 15" JBL 2205 (300w) subs or a pair of EVM15B (200w) mids. I have a Crest CA6 rated 400W set aside for one pair of speakers. Need another amp for the other pair, any suggestions or experiences with these, I am mainly concerned with the best sound, it is an installation and I don't need headroom I'll never use as much as I need it to sound pretty.

QSC PL230 (550W)
Yamaha P3500s (350W)
EV q66-II (380W)
QSC RMX 2450  (450W)
Crest 6001 (430W)   
Jands SR1500  (500W)

I have been running 2205s off the CA6 just fine, because the speakers are so efficient I don't think I need more headroom.  I was going to recone them as 2235s at some point but don't want to lose the sensitivity, and create the need to drive the amp more.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Amp recommendations 300-500W a side 8Ohms
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:02:44 AM »

Do you have these specific amps already at your disposal? It's an interesting list of old and discontinued models. Regardless, as you mentioned your drivers are very efficient, so you don't need much power.

The QSC RMX2450 has plenty of power for your needs and is easy to come by on the used market for quite cheap. I'm not sure anything on the list will "sound better" than anything else but the RMX will definitely be reliable.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 02:46:37 AM »

A Behringer NX4-6000 will produce 4x 300w @8ohm, which means you've cut your rack size down considerably. I've been using one for monitors for a while, and it always does the job just fine.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

scottstephens

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 11:35:26 AM »

Brad,

What is the airflow on your Crest CA6? Front to Back or Back to Front? You will want to keep the airflow the same with your new amp.  And, as mentioned, why older amps? Are you buying used? If so, why don't you just get another CA model? 

Scott

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 02:09:39 PM »

My guess, weight to performance to sound quality.  The CA amps aren’t wonderful.  Finally about gave away the last of my CA/9’s.  Still have s few EV P2000’s

If it were me...it was me a couple of years back.  I settled on plx ii 3102’s for sub and low, 1602 for mid and highs.  Cut almost 70 lbs per mono rack ...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 03:06:49 PM »

I have a couple of new-old-stock QSC PL325s on the shelf that sound like what you are looking for. Top of the line build quality, brand new but moderately priced since they are discontinued.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 04:00:30 PM »

My guess, weight to performance to sound quality. 

For an install, weight is typically not that critical in the decision, and older linear amps should be in theory more reliable long term than something with a switching power supply.

I used to run RMX 2450's which I then replaced with PLX3602's.  On paper, the 3602's were supposed to be more powerful, but they certainly had a hard time keeping up when pushed.  Still, on a portable rack, the 2450's had to go.  In an install though, I'd stick with the 2450.

The reality is, the rated power of the amps doesn't tell the entire story.  It all depends on HOW you plan to drive the speakers.  If you're not getting to the point where you need to squeeze every last bit out of the amp, then it doesn't really matter.  ie, if you never see a clip light, then you have enough amp and they'll likely sound about the same.  There are some sonic differences between topology design of the amps, but unless you do a side by side comparison, it's very difficult to pick out those differences in a live situation when using any professional amps.

My personal opinion on the matter is that having matching amps is the best way to go, if possible.  Not only does matching gear look prettier in the rack, if you need to swap things out, there's less thinking involved.
Brian Jojade

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 07:46:19 PM »

If I ran double 18’s the 3102’s would be inadequate.  LA400’s get loud AF with 500 per side. There is a difference in sound between the EV P2000 & P1200 pairs they replaced.  The EV’s May have been a littler sweeter.  They weren’t getting any younger though... neither am I   So for my uses which are mobile, the plx, plxII stuff was easy.   I’ve been running QSC stuff a long time with 1 volume pot replacement ... so reliability has not been an issue for me.  I have had failure in multiple other brands though.  At this point there is one remaining Carvin dcm 2004 (I think, 300 into 8 by 4 channels). It’s a spare in a monitor rack.  The rest of the monitor amps are plx II 1804’s.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 09:54:30 PM »

I have been looking for an amp to power a pair of 15" JBL 2205 (300w) subs or a pair of EVM15B (200w) mids. I have a Crest CA6 rated 400W set aside for one pair of speakers. Need another amp for the other pair, any suggestions or experiences with these, I am mainly concerned with the best sound, it is an installation and I don't need headroom I'll never use as much as I need it to sound pretty.

QSC PL230 (550W)
Yamaha P3500s (350W)
EV q66-II (380W)
QSC RMX 2450  (450W)
Crest 6001 (430W)   
Jands SR1500  (500W)

I have been running 2205s off the CA6 just fine, because the speakers are so efficient I don't think I need more headroom.  I was going to recone them as 2235s at some point but don't want to lose the sensitivity, and create the need to drive the amp more.
If it's an install quit looking at M.I. and touring amps.

Look instead at the Powersoft Quattrocanali line, Lab Gruppen E series, QSC CXD, Crown CDi Drivecore, and Ashly Audio (among others).  All make amps designed for permanent install in the power ranges you want. 
Many are more than 2ch and have DSP options if you want to go that way.  (In theory you could easily run your whole system and processing off 1 small rackmount box)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 09:54:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.669 seconds with 24 queries.