ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with getting Chauvet DMX to work  (Read 1506 times)

Keith Komos

Re: Problems with getting Chauvet DMX to work
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 09:14:37 PM »

Debbie, thanks for writing out those steps. no dice with the four duds, sadly.

Good thoughts from Jeff and Rich. I cycled through almost three dozen DMX cables ranging from cheaper "accu-cable" brand to medium-range "Pig Hog" cables with the same result. No 5-pin to 3-pin adapters in use or anything. Half the fixtures are dead to DMX or flickering, but they behave consistently regardless of the cable, position in the chain, or if they're addressed to 001 and the only one being controlled. They're duds, but they're consistent at it.

I'm still not sure if it's malfunctions in the fixtures (and the splitter) or if it's a controller problem. I found someone on Youtube whose Obey 70 created similar problems. Jeff, you mentioned hearing this happen before too. I have another controller sitting at the post office waiting to board a truck (Enttec DMXIS) so I'll give this another go when it gets here.

Rich, Debbie, Jeff, and all: thanks for the replies.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 09:35:41 PM »

Good thoughts from Jeff and Rich. I cycled through almost three dozen DMX cables ranging from cheaper "accu-cable" brand to medium-range "Pig Hog" cables with the same result. No 5-pin to 3-pin adapters in use or anything. Half the fixtures are dead to DMX or flickering, but they behave consistently regardless of the cable, position in the chain, or if they're addressed to 001 and the only one being controlled. They're duds, but they're consistent at it.

I'm still not sure if it's malfunctions in the fixtures (and the splitter) or if it's a controller problem. I found someone on Youtube whose Obey 70 created similar problems. Jeff, you mentioned hearing this happen before too. I have another controller sitting at the post office waiting to board a truck (Enttec DMXIS) so I'll give this another go when it gets here.

You are welcome .
WOW so still no luck eh? Well yes try the other controller just in case.  Thing is if you have tried each fixture using the same commands from the controller yet some work and some don't (consistently) , logic dictates it has to be something to do with those non working fixtures. But there again as was mentioned earlier to receive 4 duds out of 8 is VERY unusual.
The reason I said to make sure to test each one individually is because DMX can be weird. You can have 4 fixtures daisy chained with one flickering or behaving unusually, and the problem fixture could be farther up or down the chain.
Good luck.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 09:43:07 PM »

If even his splitter isn't working then it has to be a weak/corrupted signal from the controller. I've had similar problems with an Obey 40 in the past.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 10:27:54 PM »

This is why I keep a simple 16 fader DMX console on the bench for testing fixtures. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 10:27:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.