ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: Not my G.A.S this time - LOL  (Read 67483 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Not my G.A.S this time - LOL
« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2019, 03:05:58 PM »

Regarding EQ: The Danley DSP settings document I have for SM80 shows freq, Q and gain which I am used to but it also has some values for bandwidth. I don't see this is an option on the EQ page on Armonia. Is it important and if so where would I find it on Armonia?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2019, 03:39:47 PM »

Regarding EQ: The Danley DSP settings document I have for SM80 shows freq, Q and gain which I am used to but it also has some values for bandwidth. I don't see this is an option on the EQ page on Armonia. Is it important and if so where would I find it on Armonia?

Q & Bandwidth are two ways of describing the width of the filter or slope.

Some DSPs want one and some want the other. JR and Ivan have expressed frustration with the industry failing to standardize on a definition.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2019, 04:46:01 PM »

Where is Danley in all of this configuration stuff?  They should have a preset file that just works.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »

IIRC, Ivan was working with an X8 to derive some presets. Not sure of the progress of that, though.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #254 on: October 12, 2019, 07:57:41 PM »

Where is Danley in all of this configuration stuff?  They should have a preset file that just works.

For their amps. And old powersoft...?

I would imagine buying a non Danley amp with a Danley system is understood to "you can roll your own".

T series is new. Seems armonia files need to be updated to armonia+ since Mike Pyle sent her the K series presets.

That's not to say that Danley can't/won't help people out. But we already need to get Debbie/anyone to the point of being able to configure the amps from Her laptop with A+ and then convert the files. Non trivial tasks for the uninitiated when software that can do complicated stuff is normally very confusing for simple tasks.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2019, 07:58:21 PM »

Here is a link to a page to convert Bandwidth and Q. Welcome to the world of system tech.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »

Rob and Ed  : Thanks - makes sense.
Chris: Ivan provided Mike spk2 file. Also, thank you so much for all the info you have provided.

Having spent yesterday evening at a show and today rehearsing, I will continue tomorrow to try to get the amps programmed up.
My stumbling block right now is making sure I have the Limiter section values all plugged in right. I am getting confused with
there being so many limiter type options and the fact they already have preset values in them .
I need to make sure I have good handle on what that screen is all about with so many different limiter terms.
I have the EQs and crossovers  pretty much dialed in I think.
I worry that I'll connect everything up when the speakers arrive and blow something up!!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #257 on: October 14, 2019, 12:50:17 AM »

I worry that I'll connect everything up when the speakers arrive and blow something up!!!

I think your eardrums will blow first. :o
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #258 on: October 14, 2019, 03:26:54 AM »

It's unlikely. So long as your highpass filters are set properly (ie, the drivers are protected from mechanical damage), the speakers will tell you they're in distress well before melting.

If in doubt, push the fader slowly while listening.

Amusing side-story:
- Distributor brought some T-series amps for me to try out in a local venue (I know the owner, and had permission to make some noise)
- Chap admits it's the first time those amps have been connected to speakers, as this was the first demo in the UK of these amps
- Spend a little while dialling in processing
- Run up some music, sounds okay
- Push the fader a bit, and there's a rattling noise on kick drums. Strange.
- Listen for a while trying to find the source, and it's the HF drivers
- Check processing again, all the EQs and crossovers have magically been flattened, and the HF drivers were receiving full-band signal. That rattling was the diaphragms hitting the phase plugs.
- Dial in processing again, all sounds good.
- Later, I opened up the HF drivers to inspect for damage. Not a scratch.

Good-quality equipment is remarkably tolerate to abuse. I honestly expect you'd be fine to run without limiters, so long as you can hear the speakers and will turn it down if it's obvious the system is being pushed too hard.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2019, 06:20:12 AM »

It's unlikely. So long as your highpass filters are set properly (ie, the drivers are protected from mechanical damage), the speakers will tell you they're in distress well before melting.

If in doubt, push the fader slowly while listening.

Amusing side-story:
- Distributor brought some T-series amps for me to try out in a local venue (I know the owner, and had permission to make some noise)
- Chap admits it's the first time those amps have been connected to speakers, as this was the first demo in the UK of these amps
- Spend a little while dialling in processing
- Run up some music, sounds okay
- Push the fader a bit, and there's a rattling noise on kick drums. Strange.
- Listen for a while trying to find the source, and it's the HF drivers
- Check processing again, all the EQs and crossovers have magically been flattened, and the HF drivers were receiving full-band signal. That rattling was the diaphragms hitting the phase plugs.
- Dial in processing again, all sounds good.
- Later, I opened up the HF drivers to inspect for damage. Not a scratch.

Good-quality equipment is remarkably tolerate to abuse. I honestly expect you'd be fine to run without limiters, so long as you can hear the speakers and will turn it down if it's obvious the system is being pushed too hard.

Chris

I have not blown a speaker (personally, had others damage my gear) in 20 years and I wqs really abusing that rig.

I have however dropped a KW181 off the back of a truck and knocked the magnet off (it's riveted) so stupidity knows no bounds.

I think of Debbie dropped one of jer speakers she would have a heart attack on the spot.   Whoever gets her JBL rig is lucky!
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #259 on: October 14, 2019, 06:20:12 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 44   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.