ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: Not my G.A.S this time - LOL  (Read 68978 times)

Robert Lunceford

Re: Not my G.A.S this time - LOL
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »

It has always surprised me that it would take four TH118 to keep up with a pair of SM80. According to the Danley literature, "In many cases a single TH118 will take the
place of 2 standard 2x18” front loaded cabinets." So a single TH118 should have similar output to both of your SRX828 combined!
Running two TH118 will be like having four SRX828!
https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/TH118-Specs-V2.0-1.pdf

What are your plans in regard to getting the SM80 up in the air and tilted down? Are you planning on using speaker stands or sub poles?
The SM80 has an 80X80 dispersion so once they are up in the air they will be putting as much sound on the ceiling as they do on the audience unless you tilt them down.
The best solution for tilting down an SM80 seems to be the Nimrod bt-12 as it keeps the center of gravity centered over the stand. http://www.bt-12.com/about.php
You might want to get a pair on order as I believe they ship from the UK.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 02:12:19 PM by Robert Lunceford »

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2019, 02:11:25 PM »

The best solution for tilting down an SM80 seems to be the Nimrod bt-12 as it keeps the center of gravity centered over the stand. http://www.bt-12.com/about.php

An alternative would be the Stagehand Systems Anglers sold by LAB member Dave Garoutte.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2019, 03:25:19 PM »

It has always surprised me that it would take four TH118 to keep up with a pair of SM80. According to the Danley literature, "In many cases a single TH118 will take the
place of 2 standard 2x18” front loaded cabinets." So a single TH118 should have similar output to both of your SRX828 combined!
https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/TH118-Specs-V2.0-1.pdf

What are your plans in regard to getting the SM80 up in the air and tilted down? Are you planning on using speaker stands or sub poles?
The SM80 has an 80X80 dispersion so once they are up in the air they will be putting as much sound on the ceiling as they do on the audience unless you tilt them down.

This is more about how powerful the SM80s are than how 'weak' the TH118s are ( they are NOT!).
We did some tuning yesterday in the parking lot and one SM80 has no problem with two THs.
My Angler also helped bringing the edge of the sound field closer to the 'stage', perhaps not requiring front fills.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Scott Bolt

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2019, 03:27:37 PM »

I'll use short SpeakOns doing things this way with an amp per side but I'll need at least one long one so that if I had an amp go down and had to power both sides from just one amp, I'd have the cabling to do so. Hopefully it will never need to be used though.... I look forward to coiling short SpeakOn cables .... I have really enjoyed my powered system for this reason but an amp per side is a pretty good compromise to get a system of this quality.
That sounds like an excellent plan.

For every gig I do where I am tickling the limiters on my PRX subs, I will envy you :)

Really really nice Rig Debbie.

Are you planning on getting small cases for the amps?  I am just remembering a gig where the back of the tent poured water onto the top of my amp rack which blessedly prevented my 2 QSC PLX 3000's and 1 Crown K2 from getting soaked.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2019, 04:19:27 PM »

My Angler also helped bringing the edge of the sound field closer to the 'stage', perhaps not requiring front fills.

When you put a product on the market such as your Angler, did you have to have an organization such as UL do testing to determine the load capacity and make sure it is safe to use for it's intended purpose in order to get a product liability policy?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2019, 05:49:09 PM »

So Debbie, now for a bit of homework:  how does the purchase of all the gear before you made the Danley Decision total up to?  All the JBL/Yamaha and any extras needed to make them work... and comparison to what the Danley priced out at...  You don't need to show the specifics of your deal with Mike or anything private, but trying to see if the 3dB$ works here, or if Buy Once, Cry Once shows the investments to be similar.

Well all I can say Tim is that I wish I'd gone for the Danley system years ago before I got the SRX system. Now I lose money selling used of course.
Although the pieces are pricey compared to MI gear, you get what you pay for. As Chris always says, " If you want a plump turkey, you gotta pay for a plump turkey".
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »

This is mind blowing but I have been told this more than once!

Thanks for the heads-up...I have Dave garoutte's Anglers so they will do the job perfectly!!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »

That sounds like an excellent plan.

For every gig I do where I am tickling the limiters on my PRX subs, I will envy you :)

Really really nice Rig Debbie.

Are you planning on getting small cases for the amps?  I am just remembering a gig where the back of the tent poured water onto the top of my amp rack which blessedly prevented my 2 QSC PLX 3000's and 1 Crown K2 from getting soaked.

Yes I'll need cases.  I case EVERYTHING!!
The T602 is so small though so a rack case almost seems overkill. Not sure what I'll be doing there yet.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »

When you put a product on the market such as your Angler, did you have to have an organization such as UL do testing to determine the load capacity and make sure it is safe to use for it's intended purpose in order to get a product liability policy?
No.
I do my own testing, use high quality materials and over-engineer everything.
The cost of UL listing for such a small market makes it impossible to do so.
I have 100% confidence in my products.
BTW, the other product that serves the same function does not claim to be UL listed.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up...I have Dave garoutte's Anglers so they will do the job perfectly!!!

Dave's Anglers look really sweet. I watched the youtube video that Corey made showing the operation of the Angler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpw_seXbJ4k
The Anglers serve the same purpose as the Nimrods but with a much simpler design. Simpler is oft times better.
The Nimrods appear to have much more engineering involved and I really like how the Nimrods tilt the speaker by easily turning a knob. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-LCakjFXc

Are you going to use speaker stands or sub poles?

Even though the SM80 has some weight to it, the design of the box and the handle placement make it reasonably easy to put up on a pole compared to other speakers in the same weight class. I can put them up on a 6' high pole by myself.
Like any other speaker, it is more difficult taking them off the pole than putting them on.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2019, 07:30:58 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.