ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: Not my G.A.S this time - LOL  (Read 22867 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Not my G.A.S this time - LOL
« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2019, 08:15:10 pm »

I would look into getting a copy of Parallels, it will let you run Windows in a virtual environment on your Mac and let you use all the same ports and network connections so you won't have to lug around two laptops.

I wish I knew more about Armonia (or had any Powersoft gear for that matter!) to be able to help out, hopefully the lightbulb comes on sooner than later!

Thanks Taylor - good to know but I have no intention of taking lap tops to shows - I need to be ready to plug and play.

edit for spelling
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:33:03 pm by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Frank Koenig

« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2019, 09:12:40 pm »

I have no intension of taking lap tops to shows.

The only reason to run Armonia at a show is if you're pushing it and want to watch the limiters, or are bored and want to check "Live Impedance" to get that healthy speaker glow and live your intergalactic space ship control room fantasy.

I use Powersofts for multiple speaker systems in multiple configurations and put a tape label on the amp rack to remind me which configuration it's in. No Armonia required at the show. I do always have the laptop, and a backup USB flash drive, along just in case something is messed up. I assume that you, as I, set your sub delay (and gain?) from the mixer's main/matrix.

You're going love this once you learn it.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2019, 09:34:33 pm »

The only reason to run Armonia at a show is if you're pushing it and want to watch the limiters, or are bored and want to check "Live Impedance" to get that healthy speaker glow and live your intergalactic space ship control room fantasy.

I use Powersofts for multiple speaker systems in multiple configurations and put a tape label on the amp rack to remind me which configuration it's in. No Armonia required at the show. I do always have the laptop, and a backup USB flash drive, along just in case something is messed up. I assume that you, as I, set your sub delay (and gain?) from the mixer's main/matrix.

You're going love this once you learn it.

--Frank

Yes , I want to do everything from the mixer - I have no need to be anything other than 'old school' in that regard.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2019, 09:41:44 pm »

Would the DJ "monitors" be a candidate for reverse tilt?
Yup, But I just made some pins to hook the tops to the subs and tilted the whole mess.
The next day, I just used the tops.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #244 on: October 12, 2019, 04:34:42 am »

Thanks Taylor - good to know but I have no intention of taking lap tops to shows - I need to be ready to plug and play.

edit for spelling

FWIW, I take a laptop to shows. It's an older model Lenovo Yoga, which folds back on itself to become a tablet. I keep it light, having REW, Armonia and Foobar2000 on it, and that's about it. It gets thrown in the "I.T." bag with the iPads, and I grab it when I want/need it. As Frank said, often just to watch things and feel like I'm on a spaceship.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to be running Armonia Plus for the T-series amps. Here's how to do it:

- Connect the amps (by Cat5) to your network. You can daisy chain them. With that in place, connect the laptop to the same network (over WiFi is fine), and open Armonia.
- At the bottom, click "Match", and then "Discovery" at the top right. That should net you a list of amplifiers on your network.
- Click "Add All" to put them in your work space.

You'll get something like this:

Now, Danley doesn't appear in the Speaker Preset list, so we're going to be putting numbers in ourselves. You'll need to ask Danley for what the numbers should be, I'm just going to show you where to put them.

First up, click the little arrow/pointer icon next to the "add" button at the bottom, and then double-click on an amplifier. You'll get this:

Click the circled bit.

... and make your screen look like this:

That means both amplifier channels are going to respond to the input on Ch1. Don't worry about if it's Dante/AES/analogue - there's an automatic backup structure, and it'll work with whichever you plug in.

Next, we're going to look at crossover & EQ stuff:

This is where the info from Danley will come in. I could guess at what might be needed, but it'd almost certainly be wrong.

Next, we're going to go to the limiter page:

With that lot in place, you should be just about set. Navigate down the tabs on the left to the icon that looks like a floppy disk drive, and you'll be able to save that as a "snapshot" of the amplifier's overall condition. Standby mode, mains limiting, the lot.

Since you're in the USA, and you don't want to use a laptop each time, it might be prudent to come up with a couple of different snapshots that have different mains current limiters in place. It's not a big deal here in the UK (we can pull 13A continuous at 240v, and the fuses will pass 30A for a second), but it sounds like you guys have real trouble with tripping breakers, so being able to clamp the mains current down will be beneficial.

Anyway, save some snapshots.

With those in place, you can recall them at a gig from the amp front panel. I'd also recommend saving to the laptop and a pendrive, which I'd tape inside the amp rack.

You can then move the preset from your laptop to the second amplifier by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom, and double-clicking the second amp.

Good luck, and if you've got any questions, as away.

Chris

PS - If you want to run subs on Aux (not my jam, but there you go), keep it as two separate inputs. Feed left/LF to one amp, and right/LF to the other. There's XLR daisy-chaining on the back of the amps. Might help:

L/R/LF from desk, feed L/LF to first amp, LF from first amp to second amp, R from desk to second amp.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 04:37:09 am by Chris Grimshaw »
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #245 on: October 12, 2019, 10:18:10 am »

FWIW, I take a laptop to shows. It's an older model Lenovo Yoga, which folds back on itself to become a tablet. I keep it light, having REW, Armonia and Foobar2000 on it, and that's about it. It gets thrown in the "I.T." bag with the iPads, and I grab it when I want/need it. As Frank said, often just to watch things and feel like I'm on a spaceship.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to be running Armonia Plus for the T-series amps. Here's how to do it:

- Connect the amps (by Cat5) to your network. You can daisy chain them. With that in place, connect the laptop to the same network (over WiFi is fine), and open Armonia.
- At the bottom, click "Match", and then "Discovery" at the top right. That should net you a list of amplifiers on your network.
- Click "Add All" to put them in your work space.

You'll get something like this:

Now, Danley doesn't appear in the Speaker Preset list, so we're going to be putting numbers in ourselves. You'll need to ask Danley for what the numbers should be, I'm just going to show you where to put them.

First up, click the little arrow/pointer icon next to the "add" button at the bottom, and then double-click on an amplifier. You'll get this:

Click the circled bit.

... and make your screen look like this:

That means both amplifier channels are going to respond to the input on Ch1. Don't worry about if it's Dante/AES/analogue - there's an automatic backup structure, and it'll work with whichever you plug in.

Next, we're going to look at crossover & EQ stuff:

This is where the info from Danley will come in. I could guess at what might be needed, but it'd almost certainly be wrong.

Next, we're going to go to the limiter page:

With that lot in place, you should be just about set. Navigate down the tabs on the left to the icon that looks like a floppy disk drive, and you'll be able to save that as a "snapshot" of the amplifier's overall condition. Standby mode, mains limiting, the lot.

Since you're in the USA, and you don't want to use a laptop each time, it might be prudent to come up with a couple of different snapshots that have different mains current limiters in place. It's not a big deal here in the UK (we can pull 13A continuous at 240v, and the fuses will pass 30A for a second), but it sounds like you guys have real trouble with tripping breakers, so being able to clamp the mains current down will be beneficial.

Anyway, save some snapshots.

With those in place, you can recall them at a gig from the amp front panel. I'd also recommend saving to the laptop and a pendrive, which I'd tape inside the amp rack.

You can then move the preset from your laptop to the second amplifier by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom, and double-clicking the second amp.

Good luck, and if you've got any questions, as away.

Chris

PS - If you want to run subs on Aux (not my jam, but there you go), keep it as two separate inputs. Feed left/LF to one amp, and right/LF to the other. There's XLR daisy-chaining on the back of the amps. Might help:

L/R/LF from desk, feed L/LF to first amp, LF from first amp to second amp, R from desk to second amp.

Thanks Chris - I am using your instructions to progress. I have managed to update the firmware in the amps and I am at the EQ screen. Not sure how to differentiate between channel 1 and 2 though - remember I need to run the sub from channel 1 and top from channel 2.

Is it analog 1 and analog 2?

I've got to the limiter section but your screen shot is of the EQ section (duplicated)... so I'm not sure what to populate. I do have some limiter settings from Danley but there are a lot more parameter options than I have number for so I am not sure exactly which numbers are needed and which are not.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 11:09:33 am by Debbie Dunkley »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2019, 12:49:52 pm »

Woops, looks like I messed up the images slightly.

The tabs across the top (once you're at the EQ page) are the processing for each channel.
I've labelled up (on the left-hand side) where to click to access the processing for Ch1 and Ch2.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2019, 01:00:05 pm »

Woops, looks like I messed up the images slightly.

The tabs across the top (once you're at the EQ page) are the processing for each channel.
I've labelled up (on the left-hand side) where to click to access the processing for Ch1 and Ch2.

Chris

yes I have already been playing with the limiter screen. My problem is that there are so many limiter options available and I only have basic numbers so not sure what goes where. Eg... on the Danley sheet Mike provided me, I see RMS limiter, Thermal limiter with attack and release settings and XMax limiter settings.
However, in Armonia, I see RMS limiter WITH release and attack settings, Peak limiter with same, Clip limiter with same, True power with same, Current limiter with same.
I have no clue what to put where.....

Frank Koenig

« Reply #248 on: October 12, 2019, 01:20:38 pm »

That's a nice tutorial. I didn't realize that the T-series requires you to use Armonia+, so I was referring to Armonia (classic) that I still can use with  K-series and Ottocanali. I looked at A+ when it came out but it didn't solve any problem I thought I had so I stuck with Armonia. PS appears to continue to support it for now. I see what they called "Scheme" for K and "Ways" for Otto they now call "Design" for T. Maybe one day they'll settle on a translation. But it looks like the actual controls are pretty much the same for all of them. The full matrix for input routing on the Otto is pretty nice and I see that T has that, too.

--Frank

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2019, 01:47:42 pm »

I am trying to register the amps online but the activation link PS sent me doesn't work so I've sent them a message....bit frustrating.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2019, 01:47:42 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 44   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.