ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Latency/ phase issues at recorded live shows.  (Read 219 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Latency/ phase issues at recorded live shows.
« on: September 23, 2019, 11:16:06 am »

So I do a lot of multitrack recordings on our live shows direct to QU drive. I find this is a good way to help the guys review any songs where maybe something wasn't quite right but mainly for me to be able to listen and isolate to make sure I am getting the best sound for each instrument and adjust for next time if need be.
One of things I have always found annoying is the wishy washy phasy effect of the drums caused by stage mic bleed. No amount of gating, EQing or deletion of empty space makes that much difference .....It isn't as big a problem through the overhead mic.
So a while back I started doing something that works really well and maybe it is a known fix but I had never thought of it before.
When I set up the tracks in the DAW, any miked instruments or vocals I slip each one appropriate to the distance in feet from the O/H. I sing from FOH so I have to bring mine forward too....
If I get it just right, it is amazing the difference it makes - does anyone else do this?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
Re: Latency/ phase issues at recorded live shows.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 02:51:05 pm »

I usually don't do that with live recordings, but I do time align the drums on studio recordings. It's one of the reasons I like to use XY overheads, so I have one arrival time to match. With a spaced pair it's not quite as straightforward.

Most of my live recordings are 4-track on a Zoom H5, stereo onboard mics plus board feed. If I record from out in the house I'll have to account for the acoustic delay. I exploit precedence effect to really dial it in. I'll put one in the left ear and one in the right, get the levels balanced, then slide one on the timeline and listen for the subtle panning effect from precedence.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Latency/ phase issues at recorded live shows.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 02:51:05 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.