ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old School Garage Studio  (Read 2502 times)

Bobby Tullock

Old School Garage Studio
« on: September 23, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »

Hello Everyone. Here is something new, or is it really old?? I am creating a little TV studio in the garage in the new home I just purchased. By the way, and here's the fun part, it will  be all analog as I am getting most of my equipment from ebay which you can now find pretty cheap. This is a mostly fun hobby project although I dont see why I might not be able to lend it out locally for little talking head shows for cable access or YouTube.  Regardless, my question is about lights right now.

I have purchased about 20 - 30 older Moles, Arris, Stand Iris 1's (for cyc) and they all predate DMX. How do I set them up so I can dim, or at the very least, turn them on and off without going up and dow a ladder each time to do so individually? The 20 x 12 foot side of the space has a vaulted ceiling so the lights will be no lower than 10 feet from the ground after the grid is installed.

They previous owner had auto repair workshop (also a hobby) so the 20 x 20 space has plenty if electrical service - although I will have my trusty electrician totally review what I have. I want to be safe.

I have not installed any grid or piping yet so feel free to suggest anything as all I have done so far is painted and layed a beautiful new concrete floor as the one before was trashed from oil, grease and cracking from the powerful car lift.

As I stated, this is a fun project but I would like it to be fully functional with a cyc, lights,  camera, audio....just bring your own talent!

Many thanks! - Bobby
Bobby T.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 09:25:52 AM »

Hello Everyone.

Please go to your profile and change your displayed name to your real name to conform to the forum posting rules.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Old School Garage Studio
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 11:48:15 AM »

Hello Everyone. Here is something new, or is it really old?? I am creating a little TV studio in the garage in the new home I just purchased. By the way, and here's the fun part, it will  be all analog as I am getting most of my equipment from ebay which you can now find pretty cheap. This is a mostly fun hobby project although I dont see why I might not be able to lend it out locally for little talking head shows for cable access or YouTube.  Regardless, my question is about lights right now.

I have purchased about 20 - 30 older Moles, Arris, Stand Iris 1's (for cyc) and they all predate DMX. How do I set them up so I can dim, or at the very least, turn them on and off without going up and dow a ladder each time to do so individually? The 20 x 12 foot side of the space has a vaulted ceiling so the lights will be no lower than 10 feet from the ground after the grid is installed.

They previous owner had auto repair workshop (also a hobby) so the 20 x 20 space has plenty if electrical service - although I will have my trusty electrician totally review what I have. I want to be safe.

I have not installed any grid or piping yet so feel free to suggest anything as all I have done so far is painted and layed a beautiful new concrete floor as the one before was trashed from oil, grease and cracking from the powerful car lift.

As I stated, this is a fun project but I would like it to be fully functional with a cyc, lights,  camera, audio....just bring your own talent!

Many thanks! - Bobby

You need a dimmer and a board.  Should be able to get some ETC sensor stuff cheap on eBay. 

Why analog on the cameras (and I assume switcher and chroma keyer?)  You looking for an NTSC composite vibe?  Digital switchers and camera's are amazing and cheap todayl

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 01:52:36 PM »

No incandescent light is directly controlled by DMX. You need a suitable dimmer, which is controlled via DMX. L  By "suitable", I mean a dimmer that is rated for the full wattage of the lamp you are controlling.  2kw per dimmer is what is/was common in a live theater.  A dimmer can be used as an off/on circuit, known as "dim/non-dim." Dimmers usually are racked as a package, with 48 or 96 dimmer channels.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 07:42:19 PM »

No incandescent light is directly controlled by DMX. You need a suitable dimmer, which is controlled via DMX. L  By "suitable", I mean a dimmer that is rated for the full wattage of the lamp you are controlling.  2kw per dimmer is what is/was common in a live theater.  A dimmer can be used as an off/on circuit, known as "dim/non-dim." Dimmers usually are racked as a package, with 48 or 96 dimmer channels.
Chauvet has a four channel dimmer pack.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 08:57:56 PM »

Chauvet has a four channel dimmer pack.

As do several others. Many of them have a 15A limit, however.  If the OP's fixtures use 1000 watt lamps, then the Chauvet dimmers are essentially only good for one fixture each.  As JR says, "it depends", but with 30 fixtures, finding a good used dimmer rack might be more cost effective, and have better dimmers in it.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 09:25:12 PM »

Many of them have a 15A limit, however.  If the OP's fixtures use 1000 watt lamps, then the Chauvet dimmers are essentially only good for one fixture each.

Yes, and on top of that, many cheap dimmer packs only allow ~600W/channel.  Even the ones that claim 1200W/channel often can’t sustain regular service without failing prematurely.  The most I’ll put on those dimmers is (1) 500w Par 64 per channel or (2) 250w Par 38s.  Anything more and you’re pushing your luck.  If electrical service is abundant and with dimmers on the cheap, there’s no reason not to get the right stuff here.   

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 10:06:36 PM »

Yes, and on top of that, many cheap dimmer packs only allow ~600W/channel.  Even the ones that claim 1200W/channel often can’t sustain regular service without failing prematurely.  The most I’ll put on those dimmers is (1) 500w Par 64 per channel or (2) 250w Par 38s.  Anything more and you’re pushing your luck.  If electrical service is abundant and with dimmers on the cheap, there’s no reason not to get the right stuff here.   

This is exactly what I was thinking.  I saw an ETC Sensor rack with really nice breaker and distro panels in it for $700 on eBay and almost bought it just to turn it into a distro.  If he is near me I have a pile of old Strand Century dimmers we took out of a community theater I would let go for scrap prices.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 05:12:19 PM »

This is exactly what I was thinking.  I saw an ETC Sensor rack with really nice breaker and distro panels in it for $700 on eBay and almost bought it just to turn it into a distro.  If he is near me I have a pile of old Strand Century dimmers we took out of a community theater I would let go for scrap prices.
There is usually not much dimming going on in a studio due to the buzz that gets into all the power as well as the physical filaments "singing" being picked up by the boom mics.
A DMX relay-only pack might be more appropriate as pure sine-wave dimming gets quite expensive.  (or just a bank of light switches with dedicated cords to each light)
A couple stand-alone variacs may be helpful to moderate a specific fixture.
-but if used, remember to keep in mind the color-temp shift of a dimmed filament
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 05:12:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.