ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DCA behavior with mix busses  (Read 284 times)

Malcolm O'Callaghan

DCA behavior with mix busses
« on: September 19, 2019, 09:26:44 pm »

I discovered something over the last couple weeks on the X32/M32 platform and I was curious if this is consistent across other digital mixing platforms.

I am using a buss pair, post-fader, to send a slightly altered mix to a video stream. Obviously this buss pair is not assigned to the main mix. Pretty standard.

I use DCAs in a standard way too - vocals/band/drums. I also have vocal effects assigned to a DCA so I can mute them when a musician is talking between songs.

I doubt that any of this is particularly out of the ordinary.

What I *thought* was that DCAs only affected channels and busses that are assigned to the main mix. What I realized is that DCAs affect ALL post-fader mixes, regardless of where they are routed. This is totally consistent and makes total sense given that the main mix/busses are essentially another post-fader mix.

The thing that surprised me is that DCA mutes are included in this board's definition of post-fader. I'm pretty sure I remember that this is something that is not very consistent across board manufacturers - some include mute in post-fader mixes, some don't - I imagine more expensive consoles allow this to be configured.

Does this make sense? Are my assumptions about other boards approaching correct? I have used a lot of analog boards, but aside from using a couple Yamaha digital boards once each and the completely prosumer experience of using Presonus boards, the X32/M32 platform is where the majority of my digital experience is.

Thanks in advance,
-mal

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber