ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about advancements in wireless IEM  (Read 12220 times)

Andrien (No Last Name)

Re: Question about advancements in wireless IEM
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2020, 09:58:54 AM »

Have personally owned PSM900 while the church has Sennheiser G3 IEM. For full range sound I would go for G3, though it has higher noise floor it sounded nice especially for full band instrument. I am not sure why but PSM900 sound seems a bit mid-centric and bass sound weird, but I do not notice any noise floor on the Shure system, I do think Shure sound nicer on Vocals.
I do see digital is the way forward, you could put more content at less the bandwidth requirement and thus better stereo separation and bigger range of frequency response.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2022, 09:34:03 AM »

Resurrecting this thread with a question, Sennheiser IEM G4 VS PSM900/1000.

In terms of value for money, the G4 seems like a no-brainer. It has diversity and cost less than PSM900.
Did a small tour last year with G4 and found that they have less dynamic compression, more low-end and in some cases, a higher noise floor than PSM900/1000.

Any reasons NOT to buy G4 except for the good old "rider friendlyness" and a potentially higher noise floor?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2022, 12:22:21 PM »

In terms of value for money, the G4 seems like a no-brainer. It has diversity and cost less than PSM900.
Did a small tour last year with G4 and found that they have less dynamic compression, more low-end and in some cases, a higher noise floor than PSM900/1000.

Any reasons NOT to buy G4 except for the good old "rider friendlyness" and a potentially higher noise floor?

Until the PSM1000 came out, Sennheiser G4 was the most requested IEM package in one-off gig riders.  We bought 8 mixes of G4 a few months before The Covid... and the tide was shifting to Shure already.  I like the G4 but... if I'd had a crystal ball, I'd have bought the PSM1000 because the folks that want them will not accept any substitutions.  Our Senny IEM rigs still rent out, but not nearly at the rate of Shure.

In Norway your market may be different, and it's the business side, not the technical side, that defines this for me.  I'm decades past "what sounds better" after a certain point is reached, and think instead "what will make money".
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2022, 12:34:43 PM »

Regardless of whether the Shure IS better, it is PERCEIVED as better. I think that's a direct result of the much lower noise floor and the all metal construction of the receiver. I've used both as an engineer AND a performer, and the Shure just "feels" higher quality. Yes I know the Shure is less linear in frequency response, but every IEM earbud that will get plugged into it is pretty non-linear too, so no one really cares. They just know that when they turn up the Sennie it hisses and that just makes it feel cheap.

That doesn't mean it's not the right choice for your application or market. Only you can decide that.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2022, 12:48:47 PM »

I only spec the PSM1000 for a few reasons. Quality, as Brian says, but also some features that my players want, particularly on the P10R+.
1. Volume lock and volume pad
2. Beltpack eq
3. Goes extremely loud
4. Not noisy
5. Better RF

I like the rechargeable battery system with the "smart" Li-Poly batteries and prefer using WWB.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2022, 12:53:52 PM »

I only spec the PSM1000 for a few reasons. Quality, as Brian says, but also some features that my players want, particularly on the P10R+.
1. Volume lock and volume pad
2. Beltpack eq
3. Goes extremely loud
4. Not noisy
5. Better RF

I like the rechargeable battery system with the "smart" Li-Poly batteries and prefer using WWB.

I will say as a user, the volume "limiter" which isn't a limiter but instead just a "it won't go louder than whatever level you set it too no matter what you do with the volume knob", is Brilliant. I keep mine set to 5 and most of the time I just turn it on and it's always at the same level. None of that first 30 seconds of knob twiddling or that accidental volume jump when my growing waistline grabs the volume knob and cranks it at some inopportune time.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2022, 02:51:26 PM »

Rental point noted.
I'm not sure I will get many extra rentals on it anyway, it's for a band I mix regularly who wish to invest in a system.
But, PSM1000 will probably get some extra, I'm guesstimating 0 extra with G4 unless I rent it out for cheap, and that's not how I like to do business.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2022, 02:51:26 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.