ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about advancements in wireless IEM  (Read 11979 times)

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
Re: Question about advancements in wireless IEM
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 10:31:08 PM »

The Shure GLXD systems are 2.4 GHz and are used by tons of guitar players in everything from local bars to touring bands. I've personally used one for years in all sorts of situations and have never had a problem on stage. I will confess that during sound check if I roam the venue to get a first hand impression I can experience dropouts, but never seen this while on stage. My current band is using 3 GLXD systems, including one for the lead vocal mic and it has been rock solid in everything from small cafes with tons of WiFi hot spots nearby and microwave ovens in the venue to bigger shows with tons of people and their cell phones.

I should also add that my use case for wireless is quicker load in and strike, less clutter on stage, and fewer trip hazards. I'm not interested in running all over the place during a show. For this the GLXD systems have been perfect.

I have a couple GLXD guitar systems because I'd worked with several well-known touring acts using them, and they all had great things to say about them. I love them, and my artists do too.

They work great almost everywhere, but one venue in my area has a really crowded wifi spectrum and they won't work from more than 5 feet away on any channel. Always bring a cable, just in case!
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2019, 02:32:58 AM »

...... Always bring a cable, just in case!

^^^^^^^ THIS is my golden rule with any wireless system. I don't care how high end of a wireless system it is, there is always a chance some local interference could shut it down. I always bring cables for instruments and backup wired mics for any wireless mics (along with cables ;-)

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2019, 03:18:31 AM »

The key to a more reliable 2.4ghz wireless is using proper antennas. While this is true for most wireless, the 2.4ghz band can be more crowded due to the close proximity of phones an AP’s. You can’t expect stellar performance from builtin or whip antennas. You need to use a proper antenna distributor and directional paddle antenna(s) to get the expected results.

I’ve seen horrific antenna placements. Why putting antennas at ground level (where half of the signal goes down into ‘the basement’). Or putting antennas at the backside of a rack, blocking most of the signal. Or even having the antenna lobe close to metal surfaces. How about extending the 1/4-wave antenna cable to elevate it, but not providing any ground plane. The list can be made long...

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2019, 03:55:02 AM »

Just a note here, I play on a small stage every week and use a Sennheiser G2 IEM for that. I would take even that (in mono) over a wedge any day of the week, granted there is a decent mix to go with it.

I also use a pair of in-ears that cost like $80 (R900 ZAR). I can definitely appreciate appreciate the need to a pair of good custom moulded drivers but these have good isolation and get plenty loud enough without distortion.

Give me a decent IEM mix that doesn't cut out and I will be happy even if it's a little noisy because it will be far and away better then a wedge
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

David Peterson (IronFilm)

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2020, 12:40:21 PM »

The audio quality difference between the PSM700 and PSM900/1000 is STRIKING.  Going to Senn G3 or G4 is also VERY significant.

That's completely ignoring the enormous difference in RF flexibility and performance.

I stuck with my PSM600 when the PSM 700 came out because they sounded basically the same.  I tend to get pretty frugal when i'm spending my own money.  When i heard the PSM900 i immediately called my local dealer and ordered one.  That was shortly after they came out and i've not had a reason to replace it since.

Do folks here on PSW still reckon even in 2020 that the Shure PSM900/1000 is the best you can get?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2020, 01:46:00 PM »

Yes, the PSM1000 is one of the best you can get. It is still not Audiophile good, but is better than anything else you can get for the price.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »

Do folks here on PSW still reckon even in 2020 that the Shure PSM900/1000 is the best you can get?

There are a couple of other offerings that should be considered if you're looking at PSM1000:
Lectrosonics Duet
Wisycom MTK952/MPR50-IEM
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

David Peterson (IronFilm)

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2020, 09:12:25 PM »

There are a couple of other offerings that should be considered if you're looking at PSM1000:
Lectrosonics Duet
Wisycom MTK952/MPR50-IEM

Have tried out the new Lectro when it came out! At a demo session. Very nice.

But they're nearly impossible to find secondhand (which is the path I'm taking, to save a few extra cents), and Wisycom is unfortunately even more difficult to find.

MikeHarris

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2020, 01:33:30 AM »

we supplied a Mipro TR909 system to a artist to accompany her 6000 handheld...have heard no complaints (but no shows).
Others here may have more comments

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2020, 01:41:03 PM »

Have tried out the new Lectro when it came out! At a demo session. Very nice.

But they're nearly impossible to find secondhand (which is the path I'm taking, to save a few extra cents), and Wisycom is unfortunately even more difficult to find.

Lectrosonics Duet has only gotten better with firmware updates that fix some dropout issues and sound quality issues.

As for used Lectro, check with Location sound groups on FB or get friendly with a Lectrosonics AD and see what comes through on B stock. I have wish lists for several of my clients.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2020, 01:41:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.