ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas / behringer AES woes  (Read 2023 times)

doug johnson2

Re: Midas / behringer AES woes
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 12:05:35 PM »

Many years ago, I plugged my foh rack into a RPBG outlet.  It was not pretty.  I have also run across duplex outlets in hotels that tested at 207 and 220 volts. 

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 10:37:23 AM »

Sounds like a boot-leg ground, or a faulty receptacle. 

Had a very similar situation in my garage a couple of years ago.  Hooked up my system (including power) to re-patch some cabling (all analog system) and got a slight tingle touching the outboard and the console.   With help from a few of this board's members, they pointed to a grounding issue. The receptacle I use (90% of the time) had a mechanical failure inside of it.  I replaced the receptacle... problem went away.  No failures to any of the gear from the grounding issue.

John Schalk

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2022, 09:21:56 AM »

I was looking at this study hall article to learn more about testing AC outlets. https://www.prosoundweb.com/analyzing-failures-in-ac-outlet-testing-what-it-means-for-pro-audio/
Thanks for posting this link Kent.  Now I have another piece of gear I need to add to my gig bag.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2022, 11:55:48 AM »

Thanks for posting this link Kent.  Now I have another piece of gear I need to add to my gig bag.

There's at least one manufacturer now who makes a single unit that's a traditional u-ground/GFCI tester on one end and an NCVT on the other. Makes quick work of outlet testing (particularly if you also need to test for GFCI functionality).

-Russ

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2022, 02:16:19 PM »

RPBG has been well discussed in Mike Sokol's forum.

I pissed away too much time and money, two things I don't have enough of, inventing an outlet tester that actually works to measure and detect faulty outlet wiring.

http://www.johnhroberts.com/OD1.htm  link to TMI about my outlet tester.

Besides using a NCVT (non contact voltage tester), there are old school techniques that work to some degree. Another old tool a neon lamp probe will generally light if you grasp one lead in your finger and probe the suspect hot lead with the other probe. The typical neon lamp probes have a current limiting resistor in series with the neon bulb.

Another similar old school trick is to use a VOM set to measure voltage. While gripping one probe with your free hand probe with other. A hot outlet pin can measure 50-60V. Of course be extremely careful to make sure you are set for voltage mode. If you accidentally use current mode you could get a shocking result  :o.

I abandoned my outlet tester project 6 years ago or so.... the widespread adoption of GFCI outlets have saved many lives.

JR   
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2022, 02:16:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.