ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bands bringing IEM systems to bar shows  (Read 8164 times)

Jim Layton

Bands bringing IEM systems to bar shows
« on: September 19, 2019, 08:45:02 AM »

Never mind-just saw the thread.

But in general, if a band as an IEM rig, they should have their own splitter?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:23:37 AM by Jim Layton »
Between Allentown & Philadelphia

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Bands bringing IEM systems to bar shows
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »

Yes.  A band shouldn't magically expect to show up to a venue with a house rig and be able to be handed a set of tails from a split.  The smart and easy move would be for the band to have their own, especially if they have their own IEM rig otherwise.

Sean Anderson

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 09:37:23 AM »

Never mind-just saw the thread.

It all depends. I have done bands who bring loose transmitters and set them on amps or by my rack. Then I run mixes to them using my own mics. Others have racks, splitters, and their own mics. Some are in between. I would ask the band.

If you are asking for your own band, then yes I like when bands mix their own iems.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 10:48:40 AM »

It all depends. I have done bands who bring loose transmitters and set them on amps or by my rack. Then I run mixes to them using my own mics. Others have racks, splitters, and their own mics. Some are in between. I would ask the band.

If you are asking for your own band, then yes I like when bands mix their own iems.
Same here.  I certainly prefer the bands that “bring their own stage” and just hand me a split fan out for FOH but I also have several that plug their transmitters into my aux outs and then mix their own ears via the QU-You app to our QU24.
..db

Barry Reynolds

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 11:37:19 AM »

Same here.  I certainly prefer the bands that “bring their own stage” and just hand me a split fan out for FOH but I also have several that plug their transmitters into my aux outs and then mix their own ears via the QU-You app to our QU24.

My band provides 24-32 channels from our splitter.  Our monitor mixer is SQ5.  We have 6 stereo wireless mixes plus 2 ME1 mixes. We use some of our mics and some provided by sound company.  Depends on the gig.  The problems with using FOH mixer Auxs is that there are are often not enough of them, we don’t want to learn the phone apps for every brand mixer we encounter, and having to recreate our monitor mixes from scratch at every sound check is a pain compared to our memorized mixes on our SQ5.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »

If the band wants to incorporate their gear with a house system, they should coordinate with the house.

If their intent is to have their entire own mix and use their own mixer, bringing a splitter along would be a good choice.

As a venue operator, however, I'd cringe a little if I had to run all of the inputs through someone else's splitter because I know how well some of that stuff is treated.  Generally, I do a split from my signals and run a separate main vs monitor mix.  If the band wants just bus outputs, they can have that. If they want to use their own mixer, I can simply unplug them from my monitor mixer and into theirs.  This way I'm never inserting something unknown in the signal path to FOH.
Brian Jojade

Jerry Ziarko

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »

With our band, with prior agreement AND approval, we bring our own stage, and that usually means everything. Stands, mics, DI's drop snakes, IEM mixer, and WELL marked split snake. Everything is quality and has backups to leave little to chance. Of course all of it depends on the venue and their ability to work within the given parameters. On a multiple act or festival type show that obviously would not work.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »

As a venue operator, however, I'd cringe a little if I had to run all of the inputs through someone else's splitter because I know how well some of that stuff is treated. 

As a musician, I'd cringe a little if I had to use the venue's gear because I know how well some of that stuff is treated.  ;)

Obviously not everyone takes care of their gear, but most people know when their stuff isn't working. Good communication before the fact can solve a lot of potential issues.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »

I like to be self contained as a band - we have our own mixer, IEM's, mics, stands, and splitter. Everything is well maintained and racked up, well labeled and ready to go. We handle our own IEM mix and send isolated splits from our own mics to FOH. We only need 8 ch going into the IEM's (vocals, guitars, bass, kick drum, etc). If the venue requires OH mics on the drums or they want to throw up more mics, that is on the venue and we don't require those mics in our IEM mix.

Makes it simple for the venue - we roll on, hand them labeled splits on a snake, they handle FOH, we handle monitors, and then we roll off. Nice and clean.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 03:25:26 PM »

I have worked with a couple of bands that bring there own IEM rig. One of them brings everything and hands us a split and the other one uses some of our mics and stands but they also hand us a split. These are both great bands and I love it when they come to play.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 03:25:26 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.