ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bands bringing IEM systems to bar shows  (Read 8187 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Bands bringing IEM systems to bar shows
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 08:26:27 PM »

This could be a good use of the UI24 linking where you can run two of them as one unit.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2019, 01:33:47 AM »

This could be a good use of the UI24 linking where you can run two of them as one unit.

Indeed, one for monitors/IEMs and one for FOH. Only need a CAT5 cable between the two.

Sam Saponaro Jr

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2019, 04:11:38 AM »

Been thinking how to integrate IEM into my system if I am asked to do so. I started running for a band on thier system that is all IEM on a tablet but they pretty much mix them selves unless they need a tweak of something.
But on my own system I am all analog I dont want to go digital. Thinking of adding a split on my snake to hand to bands with full in ear rigs to mix their own.
But if I am handed 6 receivers I dont want to be creating 6 mixes from foh auxes.Have done up to two this way and its a PITA. Not sure weather to get a monitor consule or a mixer with 6-8 auxes for stage and let bands mix them selves on that.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2019, 05:23:46 AM »

Been thinking how to integrate IEM into my system if I am asked to do so. I started running for a band on thier system that is all IEM on a tablet but they pretty much mix them selves unless they need a tweak of something.
But on my own system I am all analog I dont want to go digital. Thinking of adding a split on my snake to hand to bands with full in ear rigs to mix their own.
But if I am handed 6 receivers I dont want to be creating 6 mixes from foh auxes.Have done up to two this way and its a PITA. Not sure weather to get a monitor consule or a mixer with 6-8 auxes for stage and let bands mix them selves on that.

What does the weather have to do with it?

Why are you stuck with analog?  You need the tools digital provides to effectively mix a bamd full of IEM's.  It could be done analog with a bunch of outboard gear and lot of patience but why?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 07:06:59 AM »

Actually they'd be handing you transmitters, not receivers.

Not sure why you think mixing iem mixes is more work than wedge mixes? Actually, IMO it's usually less work since feedback and other wedge caused issues are no longer a problem. 
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2019, 08:56:19 AM »

Not sure why you think mixing iem mixes is more work than wedge mixes? Actually, IMO it's usually less work since feedback and other wedge caused issues are no longer a problem.

I will take a band supplying IEM's in any form any day from individually patching in their transmitters to the system all the way up just being handed a split from the monitor rig.
I have had to help troubleshoot a few bands IEM rigs though!

Most bands that I just send mixes to their transmitters have no issues mixing from the QU phone app.
If they don't want to mess with the app I have no problem mixing their IEM's.

Like wise if a band says they only carry their ear buds but will need five mixes of IEM systems in a combination of wireless and hardwired or they could use wedges if need be......what do you think I would rather pack for the show!

Rob Dellwood

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2019, 04:20:05 PM »

[quote
[/quote]

From a working house sound tech perspective with existing PA/wedges, the ideal situation is for a band to have their own IEM mixer, split for FOH, and mix their own IEMs. Worst case scenario for me at least, is when a band comes in with 4-6 in-ear transmitters and needs me to give them their individual ears mixes. That is a PITA. 

The reason this is more work than wedges, is because with IEMs, they need to hear multiple more things in their ears, whereas with wedges, musicians can hear most of the other instruments on stage and generally need fewer things in their wedges. It takes more time to do 6 ears mixes than it does to do 6 wedge mixes. This extends the time it takes to get the band/show set up and ready to go.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 04:27:28 PM by Rob Dellwood »

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2019, 04:43:59 PM »

The reason this is more work than wedges, is because with IEMs, they need to hear multiple more things in their ears, whereas with wedges, musicians can hear most of the other instruments on stage and generally need fewer things in their wedges. It takes more time to do 6 ears mixes than it does to do 6 wedge mixes. This extends the time it takes to get the band/show set up and ready to go.
Good point, but, with IEMs you also gain some time by not having to ring out the wedges.  So no option to mix their own from phone/tablet at your venue?
..db

Rob Dellwood

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 05:57:02 PM »

Good point, but, with IEMs you also gain some time by not having to ring out the wedges.  So no option to mix their own from phone/tablet at your venue?

It's possible as we're digital, but only one recent band had the tech chops to be able to actually download and use the software. I had to help them set it up and limit access on their devices to only their mix. That took time to do also. But it paid off, as they did their own tweaks the rest of the way.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 01:33:00 AM »

It's possible as we're digital, but only one recent band had the tech chops to be able to actually download and use the software. I had to help them set it up and limit access on their devices to only their mix. That took time to do also. But it paid off, as they did their own tweaks the rest of the way.
Yup. I’ve done my share of holding hands as necessary to get the app installed, connected, and configured for bands. Well worth the time and effort. It’s reliable and works well. Well enough that a few bands that normally carry their own stage and split now only bring their mics and transmitters when they play our room.  Still, for a first time appearance at our venue I would never complain about being handed a labeled fan out for FOH.
..db

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2019, 01:33:00 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 24 queries.