ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dry audio track from publishers  (Read 2865 times)

Andy Bumpus

dry audio track from publishers
« on: September 17, 2019, 11:40:44 AM »

We sometimes receive "dry" audio tracks (choir accompaniment) from certain publishers that sound like the old am radio.  What effects should I start with to liven them up a bit?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: dry audio track from publishers
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »

We sometimes receive "dry" audio tracks (choir accompaniment) from certain publishers that sound like the old am radio.  What effects should I start with to liven them up a bit?

If you want help you need to follow our rule on real, verifiable names as disclosed at signup.  If "Andy Bump" is your real name then apologies, but put a space in (not a requirement).

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Andy Bumpus

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 02:50:46 PM »

If you want help you need to follow our rule on real, verifiable names as disclosed at signup.  If "Andy Bump" is your real name then apologies, but put a space in (not a requirement).
Sorry to have offended.  I admit I did not read the fine print, so I missed that.  Andy Bumpus is the "real" name.  Anyone care to comment on the "real" topic?

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 03:34:05 PM »

Sorry to have offended.  I admit I did not read the fine print, so I missed that.  Andy Bumpus is the "real" name.  Anyone care to comment on the "real" topic?

Not until you obey the rules and correct your name.  AndyBump does not equal Andy Bumpus.  Details matter in audio engineering, they matter in life, and they matter on this forum.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 02:12:36 PM »

Hi Andy,

This seems like one of those rare instances where inserting "aural exciter" or "sonic maximizer" processing on the input channel may help.  They generally attempt to add artificial harmonics to the source signal to simulate a wider frequency response.

If the dynamic range is too compressed, you could try inserting an expander to give it more apparent range, but it's tricky and might not sound natural.

If the tracks are mono and you're mixing in stereo, try splitting the signal to two input channels, pan them hard left and right, and experiment with delaying one side by 5 to 20 milliseconds.  This can sometimes really work well.  If you can slightly pitch shift or detune one side, it can get huge sounding.  Just don't make it extreme or it'll make everything else sound out-of-tune.

These delay and pitch tricks can sometimes have amazing results, even with limited bandwidth from the source.  BTW, they are the basis of flanger and chorus effects, so experimenting with those is also worthwhile.  Beware, though, that all of this can be very destructive to the signal if the stereo mix is summed to mono.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:31:36 PM by Jason Glass »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 02:46:04 PM »

A few questions.....

- What format and media are you playing the tracks from?
- What device are you playing them, make and model.
- How are you connecting that playback device to your mixer/sound board, we need the type of connectors in the signal path.
- What kind of mixer do you have make and model?

You AM radio sound may be the result of improper connections between equipment.

I assume you other audio inputs sound good in the system.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 02:46:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.