ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speakers and mixer for new installation  (Read 513 times)

Dave Horo

Speakers and mixer for new installation
« on: September 16, 2019, 02:20:50 am »

I'm working on an installation at a church to upgrade their existing system.  This will be used for speech reinforcement only, no bands or music.  Possibly some choral singing, but that would be the extent of it.  The room is about 50' wide x 50' deep x 20' high.  The main speaking position will be about 10' in front of the altar in the center of the room (horizontally), so feedback is a bit of a concern.

The current speaker configuration uses small speakers along the side walls and ceiling but they want to replace those with something at the front of the room because the existing setup is too unnatural sounding.

I have two unrelated questions that I could use some help figuring out.

1. I'm trying to determine the best speaker placement and configuration.  The common approach would be for two column speakers (like JBL CBT or similar) along the altar in the corners along the side walls.  But column speakers have a wide horizontal pattern and I'm worried I'd either be throwing half the energy into the side walls and reflecting it around the room or I'd be angling the speakers in and throwing excess energy across the room.  It would seem to be a better solution to use one column speaker in the center.  That will keep more energy off the side walls and focused on the audience, but I'm not sure that will fly for aesthetic reasons.  You could conceivably use a traditional point and shoot box in the side wall corners, but the walls are all hand painted and they don't want them covered by any box speakers. 

2. No one will be mixing the services and the people responsible for maintaining the system are quite inexperienced.  I need a mixer with at least 10 inputs and 4 auxes.  Something like a Mackie ProFX would get the job done but be quite overwhelming for a novice.  Without going to something fully custom programmed like Soundweb, does anyone make a full-featured mixer that can be set up and then locked down for everything besides mutes and level controls?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
 - Dave

ProSoundWeb Community

Speakers and mixer for new installation
« on: September 16, 2019, 02:20:50 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.