ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Does the SM58 cause bad mic posture?  (Read 2509 times)

Miguel Dahl

Re: Does the SM58 cause bad mic posture?
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »

I always cringe when someone goes up to the mic and the first thing they say is "can everyone hear me, is this too loud"

I second that. But I'd re-articulate it to "Can you hear me? Is this thing on"? Of course it's on since you grabbed the correct microphone!

And if there's a band setup on the stage, and a speaker walks on stage to introduce the band, who has has received perfectly clear instructions to "use THAT microphone RIGHT THERE" grabs a totally different microphone, bangs it with a his or her hand, can't hear anything in the PA, and after I've found the correct mic to unmute and maybe mute/reduce monitor level first thing that person says is " We finally have some sound! Alright folks...". This goes for me too once in a while, but the first and best thing I've learned from my early "mentor" was that "All people can be idiots, remember that"
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:16:10 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Taylor Hall

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 03:21:52 PM »

Did your demo have any effect on the mic technique when it came time for the presentation?

Most people who give presentations don't like to hear their voice and if given a handheld mic will have it pointing everywhere but at their mouth.

Had a paid "professional" speaker, would not wear any mic and only use a handheld. The mic never really was anywhere near his mouth and was generally held around waist height. A couple times he crossed his arms putting the mic in his arm pit for at least 30 seconds.
All of that was in a big room with a 1000 or so people.

He actually said that he did not like the sound of his voice in big rooms!
Reminds me of a guy we had who brought his own IEM rig and then proceeded to have us reduce his mix level until the fader was literally all the way down. At that point he gave us the thumbs up that it sounded good to him...  :o
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 07:30:20 PM »

Reminds me of a guy we had who brought his own IEM rig and then proceeded to have us reduce his mix level until the fader was literally all the way down. At that point he gave us the thumbs up that it sounded good to him...  :o

Did you mention ear plugs are a lot cheaper than an IEM system turned all the way down!

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2019, 08:06:53 PM »

I've always preferred a flat capsule too, and didn't know how to explain why until now!  You're exactly right, people don't know how exactly the diaphragm is oriented inside that mysterious sphere; I suspect they think the diaphragm is also spherical so you can point your pie hole at any part of it to equal effect.  No making that mistake with my e835s!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 11:40:10 PM »

I've always preferred a flat capsule too, and didn't know how to explain why until now!  You're exactly right, people don't know how exactly the diaphragm is oriented inside that mysterious sphere; I suspect they think the diaphragm is also spherical so you can point your pie hole at any part of it to equal effect.  No making that mistake with my e835s!

That would be an interesting experiment to hand random people a ball grill mic and the same number of people a flat grill mic and see how the mic technique varies.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 08:21:08 AM »

Did you mention ear plugs are a lot cheaper than an IEM system turned all the way down!
I wasn't about to argue since he extended our contract for 4 more events! XD
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 08:21:08 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.