ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there two different "RF Explorer"? The handheld(s).  (Read 1319 times)

Miguel Dahl

Are there two different "RF Explorer"? The handheld(s).
« on: September 13, 2019, 02:52:30 PM »

I'm a bit confused. I see RF explorer here https://j3.rf-explorer.com/ and from RF Venue.

When I google it one of the links I find is something "seeed studio" at amazon. When I click the link it says "by RF Venue". I feel like it's the same, but confusing marketing?

Seeed studio makes them, RF venue sells them, or how does this work?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Are there two different "RF Explorer"? The handheld(s).
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 03:06:33 PM »

http://rfexplorer.com/ is the official page as far as I know. Seeed Studio seems to be a reseller of stuff and an IoT version of the rfexplorer is an option if you want to consider that a legitimate product.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Jon Dees

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 03:06:57 PM »

RF Explorer was developed by some folks using Seeed Studio in Hong Kong, which is a prototyping and small job type entity that helps individuals market their new inventions. RF Venue is a US importer that has pre-configured the RF Explorer with the wide band option and their own computer software.

Buying from Seeed Studio saves $$ but you may only be getting one of the narrower bandwidth configurations, like 240 MHz - 960 MHz. You then need to buy separately a case, a terminator for the antenna, a mini USB cord, and perhaps some adapters or a pad for the antenna socket.

I own this version and have found it perfectly adequate for mic analysis within the specified frequency range.

I'm a bit confused. I see RF explorer here https://j3.rf-explorer.com/ and from RF Venue.

When I google it one of the links I find is something "seeed studio" at amazon. When I click the link it says "by RF Venue". I feel like it's the same, but confusing marketing?

Rick Earl

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »

The RF Explorer has been around for a while.  RF Venue has their custom designed and built version of the unit, with BNC Antenna mount, rubber ducky antenna, better switch cover, black case, etc. But the guts are basically the same.(RF Venue vesion  vs. RF Explorer 3G)   The original uses an SMA connector and has a telescoping antenna for UHF and separate one for 2.4GHz.  I own both but use the RF Venue version more, as it is easier to handle, has better on board software functions and I don't need to keep up with converters or an extra antenna. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 03:18:08 PM by Rick Earl »

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »

Right. So for just a quick overall-scan, to basically look for TV-channels at a site, to get an overview before a job, the seeed studio 240-960 would do fine out of the box?

When on site and set up I just use the G3-units and WSM to do the rest.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 03:24:56 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »

Hi Miguel

Yes, it's slightly confusing. The Rf Explorer that RF Venue sells is a modified unit built to our specs. We’ve added some things that we think greatly saves time when out in the field.

To start, the antenna input is made with a BNC instead of an SMA jack. Also the we did a bunch of testing and came up with a much better antenna for UHF TV band work.  That’s important as some users weren’t careful to use the proper 50 ohm adaptors.

Our unit has a built-in LNA to boost levels for very low level inputs and an attenuator to allow for measuring  transmitters without damaging the front end. Both are switchable in presets

Our unit has 100 preset positions so you can set and quickly recall frequently used setups. Saves a bunch of time manually entering changes.

In addition, there is a high resolution mode that shows up when using our Vantage graphic program for Mac.

The range of our unit is from 15MHz to 2.7G and has a wi-fi mode so you are not just looking at a jumpy screen if you need to check wi-fi.

Hope that helps.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 03:55:56 PM »

Hi Miguel

Yes, it's slightly confusing. The Rf Explorer that RF Venue sells is a modified unit built to our specs. We’ve added some things that we think greatly saves time when out in the field.

To start, the antenna input is made with a BNC instead of an SMA jack. Also the we did a bunch of testing and came up with a much better antenna for UHF TV band work.  That’s important as some users weren’t careful to use the proper 50 ohm adaptors.

Our unit has a built-in LNA to boost levels for very low level inputs and an attenuator to allow for measuring  transmitters without damaging the front end. Both are switchable in presets

Our unit has 100 preset positions so you can set and quickly recall frequently used setups. Saves a bunch of time manually entering changes.

In addition, there is a high resolution mode that shows up when using our Vantage graphic program for Mac.

The range of our unit is from 15MHz to 2.7G and has a wi-fi mode so you are not just looking at a jumpy screen if you need to check wi-fi.

Hope that helps.

Excellent! Thanks for the reply. Now I feel bad about asking about the seeed unit :/

May I ask what you mean by "That’s important as some users weren’t careful to use the proper 50 ohm adaptors. "?

And. I use a windows computer. I only saw software option for mac?

*edit: after reading in another thread. Can I import scan data from the unit into Sennheisers WSM?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 05:06:48 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 06:28:28 PM »

If someone doesn't pay attention enough to use an actual 50ohm adaptor it could throw off the accuracy of the scanner somewhat. I’ve had customers question the accuracy of our unit compared to one of the silver ones only to find out the adaptor they were using caused the differences in the readings.

None of the Explorers will export directly to any of the coordination programs (that I am aware of). So you’ll need a graphics program that uses the explorer as front end and then export the scan as a .csv file. Then you load that .csv file into the coordination program.
Don Boomer
RF Venue, Inc.

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 06:52:04 PM »

If someone doesn't pay attention enough to use an actual 50ohm adaptor it could throw off the accuracy of the scanner somewhat. I’ve had customers question the accuracy of our unit compared to one of the silver ones only to find out the adaptor they were using caused the differences in the readings.

None of the Explorers will export directly to any of the coordination programs (that I am aware of). So you’ll need a graphics program that uses the explorer as front end and then export the scan as a .csv file. Then you load that .csv file into the coordination program.

Ah, I believe I asked poorly. I guess this adapter is just to connect external antennas to the unit? This has nothing to do with just using the stock antenna and walking around and take some scans?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 06:59:35 PM by Miguel Dahl »

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »

Ok ... and I answered poorly so we’re even  :)

Graphic program in this case means graphic spectrum analysis program.

And you are fine to use the supplied whip (assuming it works well in your band of interest) to walk around and take measurements. But you’ll likely get a better, more relevant scan by tapping off your distro and thereby looking at the world through your system's antennas thereby making use of the pattern control of your antennas. Info you get using the little mini whip is likely to be very different than what your remote antennas are capturing. YMMV of course.

So if you are tapping off you need to maintain the proper impedance for best performance.
Don Boomer
RF Venue, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.