ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Network config - questions  (Read 4629 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Network config - questions
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 09:45:48 PM »

This is technically incorrect. The router's job, most simply, is to assign IP addresses and then forward packets to the outputs that have those addresses connected. You need exactly one router on a network, even if it is isolated from the rest of the world. If you have two computers then you need a router between them. (Yes, it is possible to configure a peer to peer network over a crossover LAN cable, but it would be pedantic to mention that since it's not relevant to the situation.)

Modern routers have much more to do, like wireless protocols, port forwarding, security, yada yada.

I got a certification in this stuff about 19 years ago while I was still in high school so it's possible things have moved on but the basics of how TCP/IP networks work haven't changed.

I have seen Apple devices have a bridge setting. He may be right.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 10:12:59 PM »

This is technically incorrect. The router's job, most simply, is to assign IP addresses and then forward packets to the outputs that have those addresses connected. You need exactly one router on a network, even if it is isolated from the rest of the world. If you have two computers then you need a router between them. (Yes, it is possible to configure a peer to peer network over a crossover LAN cable, but it would be pedantic to mention that since it's not relevant to the situation.)

Modern routers have much more to do, like wireless protocols, port forwarding, security, yada yada.

I got a certification in this stuff about 19 years ago while I was still in high school so it's possible things have moved on but the basics of how TCP/IP networks work haven't changed.

You're mistaken. Get another certificate.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 11:35:19 PM »

Before Scott comes back I'd suggest you take another look at the OSI model. You need zero or more routers on a network depending on what you are trying to achieve. Moving data between computers on Ethernet networks is controlled at the layer 2 level and technically requires nothing more than a hub (although a switch is greatly preferable). Routers are only required to move data between network segments, not within them, and if your network only has one segment (e.g. 90%+ of show networks without Internet access) then a router is optional.

-Russ

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 12:39:40 AM »

I have no clue who you got your network certification from but I hope either you didn't pay much or your didn't pay attention.

Not one thing but every single point in this post is totally incorrect.  Beyond incorrect, it's a fabrication in your mind of how networks operate.

This is technically incorrect. The router's job, most simply, is to assign IP addresses

Incorrect, DHCP servers listen for broadcast messages and send back an IP assignment to the requestor.  A router may or may not have a DHCP service built in for convenience but it has nothing to do with routing.

and then forward packets to the outputs that have those addresses connected.

Incorrect,  a router accepts packets on an interface, which is assigned an IP address, which is usually, but not necessarily, the default gateway for the given network the interface is assigned to.  The router then looks at it's routing table and forward that packet out another interface on the router.

You need exactly one router on a network, even if it is isolated from the rest of the world. If you have two computers then you need a router between them. (Yes, it is possible to configure a peer to peer network over a crossover LAN cable, but it would be pedantic to mention that since it's not relevant to the situation.)

This is a total swing and a miss.  First off you are conflating routing (layer 3 tcp/IP) with switching (which isn't even required) which is layer 2.

A network switch contains a table of MAC addresses attached to each port and forwards Ethernet frames from one port to another based on the MAC address.  A switch has absolutely no concept of what an IP address is.

Crossover cables are not needed anymore.  Any network chipset built in the last decade or more has auto MDI/MDI-X switching.  You can connect two computers with an Ethernet cable and the interfaces will come up. 

port forwarding and access lists have been around since Cisco cranked out IOS 9.1 in 1991 !  I think you are referring to firewall features, which really have nothing to do with IP routing either but are included in most modern appliances.  Today's firewalls pull threat fingerprints from the cloud, perform stateful packet inspection and host of other security functions. 

"wireless protocols" not sure what you mean here either.  Some network appliances have a wireless access point built in.  Wifi is a layer 2 protocol and again, has nothing to do with routing or IP.

Many people use the term "router" to refer to a network appliance that typically contains an IP router with at least two interfaces (LAN and WAN), a network switch, a DHCP server and basic firewall features.  So called "wireless routers" add the access point.  There are many more appliances that are basically egg laying milk pigs.

I would not normally be so harsh but you just had to brag that you had a CCNA.  I was a Cisco Network Academy instructor, helping shape skulls full of mush into network technicians.  I taught for 2 years then was a sub for a few more.  After that I came to the stark realization that teaching is an amazing skill and one I do not possess.  I do however test well and passed my CCIE Carrier on the 1st run.  I failed the practical however due to very poor time management.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 06:21:50 AM »

You use an USB network dongle?

Try this: https://www.windmill.co.uk/usb.html

David Allred

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 09:58:12 AM »

Let get back to what's important... me  ;D ;D ;D.
So I changed all the power settings in windows and bios, and the network section as noted above.  This made no difference with the M-Air Edit losing connection.
I should add that I have not been connecting to the network via wifi during this trial.

I have tried many different things and will note them and the results below.
LAN only:
Laptop 1 - full network - Edit loses connection after time (re-connects manually), Venu360 app stays connected, Belkin Network to USB to serial DR260 software has C++ runtime errors after time.
Laptop 1 - Direct to MR18 (no network) - Stayed connected longer, but still lost connection.
Laptop 2 - Full network - Maintained connection (Edit only).
---

LAN & WIFI:
Laptop 1 - full network - No errors or loss of connection.
---

LAN only:
Laptop 1 & Laptop 2 - Full network - Both running Edit software, L1 running 360 & 260 softwares also - No disconnects or errors over night.

Comments:
Prior to adding the 2nd switch and laptop 2, I always connected to WIFI also.  So this is not necessarily a new problem.
MR18 Edit & adaptor/software for DR260 have issues running LAN only (laptop 1).
Venu360 software has no issues LAN only (laptop 1).
MR18 Edit runs fine on LAN only (laptop 2).
All runs fine if connected WIFI also (laptop 1).
All runs fine if Edit is running on both laptops and no WIFI. 

Edit versions are the same on l1 & l2.  Un-install / re-install Edit on laptop 1?

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 06:30:28 AM »

Usually it is not a good idea to have 2 network connections to the same network, i.e. Wlan and lan when troubleshooting.

Check the metric of the connections. Open a command window, and type: netstat -rn | more

Look for the metric values. There should be 2 of them. One for each connection. The connection with the lowest value will be used for the network. Let us know the values.

Also for the troubled laptop
- os
- lan driver make/type, version, date

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 06:41:52 AM by Geert Friedhof »

David Allred

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 09:08:15 AM »

Usually it is not a good idea to have 2 network connections to the same network, i.e. Wlan and lan when troubleshooting.

Check the metric of the connections. Open a command window, and type: netstat -rn | more

Look for the metric values. There should be 2 of them. One for each connection. The connection with the lowest value will be used for the network. Let us know the values.

Also for the troubled laptop
- os
- lan driver make/type, version, date

Win7 home prem  sp1
Intel 82567LM Gigabit network connection
V- 10.1.9.0
4/7/10

See the image to get the metrics info you need from netstat.
Thanks

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 04:11:42 PM »

Do you have the WIFI on the computer turned on?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Allred

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »

Do you have the WIFI on the computer turned on?

Yes, currently, but see post #15.
Clarify that the wifi on the computer is always on, but wifi on & off in #15 refers to connected to the this audio network vs my homes wifi internet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.