ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Couple quick QU questions  (Read 1462 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Couple quick QU questions
« on: September 10, 2019, 10:33:16 AM »

I've got a gig coming up on a QU-16 and I've never been on one before.  I figured it would be fastest (and probably more complete info) if I put up a post here since I know there's users of this console range around here.

First, looks like no offline software for it right?
Second, as part of this gig I want to multi-track the lines.  Is this as simple as a USB connection between the console and my macbook pro computer?  I'm planning to track into Logic, any special drivers needed or is it all native and easy?  Third, for mult-tracking I'm assuming that I'll have to patch direct outs to a USB interface - any gotchas or other tips to make it an easy task?

Thanks, appreciate all the knowledge y'all have floating around.
~Erik

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Couple quick QU questions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 01:44:12 PM »

The QU will show up as a native sound device on the Mac and tracking on Logic is native and easy to do-just pick the channels you want to record.

I don't know of any offline software.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:48:54 PM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 01:57:13 PM »

No offline editor, but d/l the QU-MIX app. The app is laid out pretty similar to the desk and all available parameters are present. Correction, in demo mode maybe not ALL parameters are available, but it'll still give you a pretty good idea of the workflow.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 02:28:03 PM »

In theory, David's iOS Mixing Station app has offline capabilities.

Note: I have never used it.

Make sure the DO's are picking the correct point (post preamp) it is a global setting.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 08:56:09 PM »

It would be a good idea to do a backup multitrack recording via the QuDrive.  You are able to record via both the QuDrive and the USB-B port at the same time.  A 32GB USB 2.0 stick, formatted on the QU, should do the trick.  Bring a couple of the sticks as the QuDrive is a bit finicky when it comes to USB sticks. 
You can visit the Allen&Heath Qu Forums to find a list of compatible USB drives. 

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 02:21:19 PM »

It would be a good idea to do a backup multitrack recording via the QuDrive.  You are able to record via both the QuDrive and the USB-B port at the same time.  A 32GB USB 2.0 stick, formatted on the QU, should do the trick.  Bring a couple of the sticks as the QuDrive is a bit finicky when it comes to USB sticks. 
You can visit the Allen&Heath Qu Forums to find a list of compatible USB drives.

For multitrack recording on via the USB "qudrive" the Sandisk Extreme USB3 works well.

For general stereo board mix recordings the Kingston Data Traveler series works well.

I'm sure there are others but I know those do work in my Qu mixers.

As mentioned before you can use them you do need to format them in the mixer, that menu is in the set up utilities menu.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:25:31 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 10:12:08 AM »

For multitrack recording on via the USB "qudrive" the Sandisk Extreme USB3 works well.

Unfortunately, they don't make it any more. The replacement 3.1 version doesn't work at all.

A&H's inbuilt recorder is awkward and poorly designed. There's no real-time clock in that board, so it can't timestamp the files. This makes an absolute mess if you arm and disarm tracks along the way. It names every file basically the same, each track in its own directory, but the file names are incremented independently, so the names don't line up across takes. It makes all 18 directories, regardless of how many you arm. It doesn't transfer the track names. It is extremely fussy about drives, apparently sending an unbuffered stream and counting on raw drive speed. At least it's better than QSC's, which records all tracks (in pointless 32 bit) regardless of how many you're using. The SQ recorder is the same as Qu except 96k, which makes many of the problems worse, is less compatible, and doubles the file size.

You're way better off recording to a laptop.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 03:22:28 PM »

I've got a gig coming up on a QU-16 and I've never been on one before.  I figured it would be fastest (and probably more complete info) if I put up a post here since I know there's users of this console range around here.

First, looks like no offline software for it right?
Second, as part of this gig I want to multi-track the lines.  Is this as simple as a USB connection between the console and my macbook pro computer?  I'm planning to track into Logic, any special drivers needed or is it all native and easy?  Third, for mult-tracking I'm assuming that I'll have to patch direct outs to a USB interface - any gotchas or other tips to make it an easy task?

Thanks, appreciate all the knowledge y'all have floating around.
~Erik

I record from a QU24 to Macbook Pro fairly often using Reaper. It's fairly straightforward no drivers needed, the QU shows up as a native interface. The console default is direct outs on channels 1-16, main mix on 17/18. You'll want to specify where in the signal chain you want the direct output to take signal from, that setting is global I believe. I always take "post preamp" which is pre eq.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 10:57:31 PM »

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me.  Hopefully I can report good things back in a week.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 10:57:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 26 queries.