ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Power distro for powered subs/arrays  (Read 3072 times)

JR Mulloy

Power distro for powered subs/arrays
« on: September 12, 2019, 06:11:24 AM »

I am thinking about making or buying if it’s out there a power distro for my powered subs/arrays instead of having to run multiple 10ga 120v I could run a single 240v with twist lock L21-30 from my main (motion labs distro) out to each cluster of speakers to this other distro does anyone else run something similar have any pics?

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Power distro for powered subs/arrays
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 09:43:59 AM »

We use exactly what you describe.

Either these for L21-30 to L6-30x3 (they'll build them without the half cheese), or something like this for 20A outs.  They'd probably build the latter one with a pair of 2-pole breakers if you want 208V, but we've never asked.

JR Mulloy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 10:20:11 AM »

I was further looking into this it appears L21-30 would be 3 phase I would need to use L14-30 plugs for 240v from what I’m understanding

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 01:09:34 PM »

JR, what connector do you have as the "out" from your distro that you will be using?  What connector do your powered subs and arrays use?
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »

I was further looking into this it appears L21-30 would be 3 phase I would need to use L14-30 plugs for 240v from what I’m understanding

JR-

L21-30 configuration is for 120/208V 3 phase service and L14-30 is for 125/250V (don't worry about the extra volts) split phase service.

Are your powered subs "universal" with respect to service voltage?  If so you'll find a smaller difference in current demand between 208 and 240V, compared to the difference between 120 and 208.  If you subs MUST have either 120V or 240V but nothing in between, you potentially have another issue to deal with.

So what are you using?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

JR Mulloy

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 08:44:53 AM »

they are just 120v want to do this so I’m not running so many power feeds 2-10/4 vs.4-10/3 runs would be less mess easier cable management is all im looking for

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 12:18:51 PM »

JR, I'm still trying to figure out what you need.

1. Do the powered speakers use a NEMA 5-15 plug?  If so, how many amperes of 120 volt power do you need at each location?  What (and how many) powered speakers do you have at each location?

2. What is the NEMA designation of the receptical you are using on the distro to feed the drops identified above in 1?

3. How far (in feet or meters) is your distro to the furthest drop?

JR Mulloy

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 05:53:04 PM »

They are jbl srx828sp usually 3 per side and rcf hdl20a 4 boxes flying per side

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 06:22:15 PM »

Motion Labs and Lex (and others) offer rack mount distros for L21-30, L14-30, and CS-50 inputs.  There are also industrial/construction "spider boxes" for L14-30 and CS-50 inputs, and various "lunch box" styles to chose from.

All of those would arguably give you a one cable run from your main distro to each side's smaller distro, depending on the expected real world amerage needs for your rig.

Look for UL or ETL certification on whatever you select; it will make the AHJ happier (and also your insurance company).  Buy once, cry once.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 08:02:22 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.