ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UX8800 problem  (Read 2504 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
UX8800 problem
« on: September 11, 2019, 09:43:45 AM »

This was installed by someone other than myself or someone I know over ten years ago.

The ballroom system at my main venue has a pair of AX366 cabinets flown and a pair of SB single 18" subs under the stage.  In the rack is an UX8800 driving the three Crown amps.  Processor takes a main L and R feed from the mixer, and there are six outputs, a pair for hf, a pair for mf, and a pair for the subs.  The AX366 are passively crossed over I've concluded in the mf/hf 8" coax on the large waveguide.

Came in Friday to set up for a concert, and discover I've no hf output on one side, and no mf output on the other.  I look at the processor outputs and discover that those two outputs don't have any input source assigned to them.  Odd, as this unit was installed with a factory setting AFASIK, and I've never been able to access the programming, and certainly can't at this point to re-assign these two outputs with their proper input source.

I kludged the system back together by just moving speaker cable hookups piggyback on respective channels.  The cluster is typically in mono most of the time anyway, so no big deal there.

Had a friend who is able to look at one of these stop by yesterday and hook his laptop up to see if something could be done, and once the Pilot software connected we found that the settings were to no one's big surprise, greyboxed out and couldn't be worked on.

So, is it something that will require me to send it in to EAW for repair, or something that a firmware update will fix-and could be done on site via the internet?  In the meantime, I will dig out one of my Protea processors and swap it out.

I can figure out basic crossover needs via the spec sheet, but if anyone has some more detailed settings for these speakers I can load into the Protea, it would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

John

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: UX8800 problem
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 10:08:31 AM »

We've had a couple of UX8800s, both have done weird things without warning. Usually a firmware update (or "refresh" if already on current firmware) did the trick, then reloading the Greybox settings from EAW for the boxes as required.

In the past, EAW support has been very responsive any time I've had an issue. Last time I believe I emailed [email protected] and heard back within a couple of hours.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:45:54 AM »

As Steven said, reflash firmware and reload greyboxes.

Write down input EQ, delay times, sub to main XO points and levels before you reflash it, then it should just be a matter of reloading greyboxes and entering those parameters.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:14:20 AM »

As Steven said, reflash firmware and reload greyboxes.

Write down input EQ, delay times, sub to main XO points and levels before you reflash it, then it should just be a matter of reloading greyboxes and entering those parameters.

Well, you see that's a problem, I can't seem to get anywhere on this unit where it shows me settings.  I need to RTFM some more, I must be missing something.

John

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:18:25 PM »

Maybe a long shot... there could be a soft/hard reset that can be conducted on the unit.  For example, on the dbx 260, you push one of the buttons n the panel and the same time you turn the unit on.  It asks if you want to reset it - (yes/no).  dbx has a few "resets" depending on which button is pressed at the time the unit is turned on.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 01:10:29 PM »

Well, you see that's a problem, I can't seem to get anywhere on this unit where it shows me settings.  I need to RTFM some more, I must be missing something.

John

If you can access it in pilot  and verify that the greyboxes are in there, you should be able to access the inputs and verify those settings.

A/B/C/D is the inputs, 1-8 is the outputs.

Also, sometimes a UX8800 will repair itself if you push the off button and wait for 20 seconds before you turn it on again.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 01:48:25 PM »

This was installed by someone other than myself or someone I know over ten years ago.

The ballroom system at my main venue has a pair of AX366 cabinets flown and a pair of SB single 18" subs under the stage.  In the rack is an UX8800 driving the three Crown amps.  Processor takes a main L and R feed from the mixer, and there are six outputs, a pair for hf, a pair for mf, and a pair for the subs.  The AX366 are passively crossed over I've concluded in the mf/hf 8" coax on the large waveguide.

Came in Friday to set up for a concert, and discover I've no hf output on one side, and no mf output on the other.  I look at the processor outputs and discover that those two outputs don't have any input source assigned to them.  Odd, as this unit was installed with a factory setting AFASIK, and I've never been able to access the programming, and certainly can't at this point to re-assign these two outputs with their proper input source.

I kludged the system back together by just moving speaker cable hookups piggyback on respective channels.  The cluster is typically in mono most of the time anyway, so no big deal there.

Had a friend who is able to look at one of these stop by yesterday and hook his laptop up to see if something could be done, and once the Pilot software connected we found that the settings were to no one's big surprise, greyboxed out and couldn't be worked on.

So, is it something that will require me to send it in to EAW for repair, or something that a firmware update will fix-and could be done on site via the internet?  In the meantime, I will dig out one of my Protea processors and swap it out.

I can figure out basic crossover needs via the spec sheet, but if anyone has some more detailed settings for these speakers I can load into the Protea, it would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

John

I have experienced some UX8800 strangeness but for me it's usually been when loading files via computer that have been pre-configured offline or transferred from other units. Occasionally there would be some bogus settings so I got into the habit of double checking everything. I chalked it up to Dave Gunness leaving EAW and product development stalling on the UX8800.

Once the settings are loaded to the unit and vetted I haven't had any issues with the units themselves re-configuring themselves.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »

We still have 3 UX8800s and two of those units are and have been solid.

One, and only one of them will occasionally undo its routing from output one. Regardless of what input is driving it, it will power up and make no sound from output one. It's easy enough to reset the routing in the unit without the need of Pilot. Of course, that shouldn't be necessary, but they get through the show. All of the UXs have been through firmware updates and hard resets. This one unit still exhibits this bit of weirdness.

I like what the UXs do for the speakers, but I've never liked having to actually deal with them. Thankfully, these units run only two different speaker rigs and requires only a preset change.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 11:43:32 AM »

We still have 3 UX8800s and two of those units are and have been solid.

One, and only one of them will occasionally undo its routing from output one. Regardless of what input is driving it, it will power up and make no sound from output one. It's easy enough to reset the routing in the unit without the need of Pilot. Of course, that shouldn't be necessary, but they get through the show. All of the UXs have been through firmware updates and hard resets. This one unit still exhibits this bit of weirdness.

I like what the UXs do for the speakers, but I've never liked having to actually deal with them. Thankfully, these units run only two different speaker rigs and requires only a preset change.

Check and verify if the fuzzy unit has a connector on the main board connecting it to the power supply or if it's hard wired. I had a couple of UX8800 go bad on me. Turned out the connector got corroded and caused a small voltage drop, enough to make the unit misbehave in certain situations.  Usually it sorted itself out if you cleaned the connector but sometimes a little soldering was needed.

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »

To add to what Helge said, Eaw has a bulletin on the problem.  I got a copy (years ago) from EAW support.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.