ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to cast audio from console to Google devices. Anyone?  (Read 151 times)

mixerdad

• TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
Want to cast audio from console to Google devices. Anyone?
« on: September 11, 2019, 01:22:48 am »

I've been asked to get the service audio into the bathrooms as well as other parts of the church where visitors may be during the message time. It's easy to get the live audio into a computer, I wonder how I can get that audio from a computer and 'cast' it to some Google boxes. Anyone doing this? Any help would be appreciated!

Scott Kolden
Tech Dir
Discovery Church
Simi Valley, CA

Matthias McCready

Re: Want to cast audio from console to Google devices. Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 09:28:08 am »

I've been asked to get the service audio into the bathrooms as well as other parts of the church where visitors may be during the message time. It's easy to get the live audio into a computer, I wonder how I can get that audio from a computer and 'cast' it to some Google boxes. Anyone doing this? Any help would be appreciated!

In my experience, Google casting devices tend to stop working after several months and are not generally reliable. It can also be difficult to be able to "cast" anything which is not a Google app, such as Youtube or Google Play. It does not tend to like to pass audio for the entire device.

In my mind, this would not be a good solution and would result in some money being spent without reliable results being achieved

If you are wanting audio to go over a network I believe there are easier and non-proprietary ways to do this, but you want some sort of computer or device at each end which would be much more complex and expensive than... wires. Not to mention for a stable networked solution you would want to be wired as well.

--
Is there no way to do this wired? If you have ethernet installed you could do XLR over ethernet or maybe even POE to the speakers.

Matthias

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 02:57:44 pm »

Send a line level audio signal to a powered speaker. If your going to a TV I would much rather that HD-BaseT with an audio injector over any streaming device.

If you wanted to go with something that streams I would much rather look at a raspberry pi on each side with ffmpeg on the transmit side broadcasting to a multicast address and ffplay/whatever receiving from the same multicast address on the other side.

Dante is also an option, there are two channel devices for both send and receive.

Tell us what your exact situation is and we can help you with a solution but you are presenting a possible solution to an unknown problem so people will just blow holes in the current solution not because its bad but because there is probably a more reliable solution that can be used.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 02:59:02 pm »

Also you need to change your display name to your real name. I shouldn't have responded until you do so. It's in the forum rules and on the registration page when you created your account. If you fail to do this your thread will be locked until you do.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 04:48:36 pm »

Also you need to change your display name to your real name. I shouldn't have responded until you do so. It's in the forum rules and on the registration page when you created your account. If you fail to do this your thread will be locked until you do.

This, people. Please, remember the posting rules. We shouldn't be answering any questions until post(s) are in compliance with these rules. If you're not certain if someone is being legit or not, use the "Report to Moderator" link to have someone take a look.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.