ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Acquired empty JBL AM4212/95 cabinets. What should I load them with?  (Read 2090 times)

Jonny Durango

I acquired an empty pair of JBL AM4212/95 for free. I understand the stock drivers aren't bad, but are nothing to write home about either. Since I'll have to buy something for them anyway, I feel I might as well go for better quality drivers that are designed for a similar cabinet/internal volume/tuning. Can anyone recommend some good options based around a 12" LF driver? I'm far more concerned with sound quality, especially clarity with smooth highs, than I am overall SPL, sensitivity or other considerations. Link to speaker spec sheet:

https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/AM4212_95.pdf

I can modify the front baffle to use any horn/tweeter combo. I'd love to get my hands of a good RCF combo (tt, HD or even ART series drivers).....maybe some newer/better jbl stuff? AM7212? Looks like the exact same cabinet!

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:05:20 AM by Jonny Durango »

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: Acquired empty JBL AM4212/95 cabinets. What should I load them with?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:56:54 AM »

I acquired an empty pair of JBL AM4212/95 for free. I understand the stock drivers aren't bad, but are nothing to write home about either. Since I'll have to buy something for them anyway, I feel I might as well go for better quality drivers that are designed for a similar cabinet/internal volume/tuning. Can anyone recommend some good options based around a 12" LF driver? I'm far more concerned with sound quality, especially clarity with smooth highs, than I am overall SPL, sensitivity or other considerations. Link to speaker spec sheet:

https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/AM4212_95.pdf

I can modify the front baffle to use any horn/tweeter combo. I'd love to get my hands of a good RCF combo (tt, HD or even ART series drivers).....maybe some newer/better jbl stuff? AM7212? Looks like the exact same cabinet!

Thanks in advance!

If the original passive crossover network is still in the cabinets, then go with OEM drivers and just restore to factory spec.

If not, use the OEM flare and experiment.

Have fun!

John

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 02:13:55 PM »

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/AE%20Series/AM4212,95-WH.pdf

crossover was at 1.3 k   24 db if the crossover was in cabinet. 

I converted and loaded some old EV cabinet no crossover so made Bi-amp with speakon 4.  Works great and Sounds Great to many. 
Worth the rebuild with JBL Oem or going better if you can afford.  Ditch the crossover and go Bi-amp with DSP to tune. 

horn is rotatable  great option on 90 x 50 horn pattern. 

Jonny Durango

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 06:07:47 PM »

Well interestly enough, although the "seller" said they were completely empty, I had a look inside and they're actually loaded with "Sound Barrier" drivers....SBD-20T 350w 1.5" compression driver in the horn and SBD-1260 260w (???) 12" lf driver...even has a 1.6k eminence crossover. I get the distinct feeling that these will sound like finely tuned dog crap, but I'll give em a shot and go from there. I'm going to try eventually upgrading one to 7212 components and comparing them side by side (may have to get a better woofer.....what's up with 260W???). A friend also has a pair of stock AM4212's that I could throw in as a "control".

Bob Stone

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 09:49:16 PM »

Are these really worth sinking any money into? Is going to cost more than a few hundred dollars to properly load them up and then what?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 10:29:29 PM »

Well interestly enough, although the "seller" said they were completely empty, I had a look inside and they're actually loaded with "Sound Barrier" drivers....SBD-20T 350w 1.5" compression driver in the horn and SBD-1260 260w (???) 12" lf driver...even has a 1.6k eminence crossover. I get the distinct feeling that these will sound like finely tuned dog crap, but I'll give em a shot and go from there. I'm going to try eventually upgrading one to 7212 components and comparing them side by side (may have to get a better woofer.....what's up with 260W???). A friend also has a pair of stock AM4212's that I could throw in as a "control".

Sound Barrier - that's why it sounds broken!  ;D

http://jblproservice.com/pdf/AE%20Series/AM4212,95-WH.pdf

The schematic for the passive crossover is in the PDF file.  If the cabinets still have the original HF waveguide you might be able to restore them.  Otherwise consider it a project box and have fun!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonny Durango

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 03:23:33 AM »

Sound Barrier - that's why it sounds broken!  ;D

http://jblproservice.com/pdf/AE%20Series/AM4212,95-WH.pdf

The schematic for the passive crossover is in the PDF file.  If the cabinets still have the original HF waveguide you might be able to restore them.  Otherwise consider it a project box and have fun!

They do have the original waveguide/horn.

As you guys have mentioned, I considered if they're even worth messing with. Here's my thoughts. To restore them to AM4212's, it's really not worth messing with. But the higher end AM7212/95 appears to use the EXACT same cabinet, 90/50 rotatable waveguide, and crossover @ 1.6k. For not much more $ I could grab a 2262 and 2432 and have a much nicer speaker that might actually be worth messing with. Obviously it would still say AM4212/95 on the outside, but it would effectively be an AM7212/95 on the inside with an eminence xover....you can even buy "upgraded" JBL copy xovers using high end components on eBay for $60 (probably a waste of $).

I think this is the route to go. If I can get the drivers for around $600, I'd say that's a pretty solid deal for an pair of AM7212's, even with much lower resale value due to.....y'know....not ACTUALLY being 7212's ;)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 08:21:13 AM »

They do have the original waveguide/horn.

As you guys have mentioned, I considered if they're even worth messing with. Here's my thoughts. To restore them to AM4212's, it's really not worth messing with. But the higher end AM7212/95 appears to use the EXACT same cabinet, 90/50 rotatable waveguide, and crossover @ 1.6k. For not much more $ I could grab a 2262 and 2432 and have a much nicer speaker that might actually be worth messing with. Obviously it would still say AM4212/95 on the outside, but it would effectively be an AM7212/95 on the inside with an eminence xover....you can even buy "upgraded" JBL copy xovers using high end components on eBay for $60 (probably a waste of $).

I think this is the route to go. If I can get the drivers for around $600, I'd say that's a pretty solid deal for an pair of AM7212's, even with much lower resale value due to.....y'know....not ACTUALLY being 7212's ;)

If you're set on making 7212 cabinets out of them, just build the crossovers yourself.  There is someone on  ebay with three OEM used crossovers to the 7212/26 version at about $60.00 each which isn't a bad price, but they aren't for the horn configuration in the /95.

Madisound, Parts Express, Solen in Canada are three good sources for passive crossover parts.

Best regards,

John

Jonny Durango

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »

If you're set on making 7212 cabinets out of them, just build the crossovers yourself.  There is someone on  ebay with three OEM used crossovers to the 7212/26 version at about $60.00 each which isn't a bad price, but they aren't for the horn configuration in the /95.

Madisound, Parts Express, Solen in Canada are three good sources for passive crossover parts.

Best regards,

John

Hey John, the Eminence xovers currently installed actually look to be of high quality, and an EXTREMELY simple circuit....just a couple inductors and a few axial caps. I'll probably keep them, especially since I'll most likely be biamping them anyway and using external/digital xover/DSP/EQ. They'll be in one of our rehearsal rooms at my recording studio and mostly used for bands to jam and work out songs before hitting record. I mainly want to make sure there is excellent clarity and detail, not so much worried about massive SPL (the room is only about 20x20). For this reason I may even go with the 2206 lf driver, which most people seem to prefer over the 2262 from a quality and sound quality standpoint, the main advantages of the 2262 being that it's approximately 3dB louder and much lighter (neither of which benefit me). The relative freq response of the two is almost identical, with the 2206 being a little flatter. I guess it will come down to what I can get my hands on for a reasonable price.

Anyway, thanks very much for the help!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.