Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Lighting Forum

Bridge two seperate DMX lighting software somehow?

(1/3) > >>

Jerome Casinger:
I have two pieces of software, each one does something well and the other not so well.  Curious if there is a way to "bridge" them.

Software 1 - runs off of a DJ program.  It analysis the songs and builds light scenes that follow the tempo of the song and the intensity, does a good job finding verses/choruses/bridges etc and changing the scenes at that time.  It does a pretty decent job of creating a "custom" light show out of the box really.

However - it does not allow the use of gobos or prisms in moving heads/scanners, lacks effects "all white strobe", gobos on dance floor, haze control etc.

I also have Chauvet Showxpress.  I have created awesome light shows with it when I do band shows, however running lights while doing DJ work can be daunting since you are always moving two steps ahead on selecting and syncing music.  Occasionally however I would like to use the power of Showxpress (lets say for blinders, or a static scene for pre music, or to apply gobos since the other software doesnt allow this). 

They both have their own usb device, so I imagine there is not a way to do this, but with the advancements in software I didnt know if there is a way to make them "work together" or have showxpress sit on top of the reckordbox software so it overrides DMX channels when I click something in Showxpress.

I also am using the Donner wireless system currently to feed the lights.  8 pars, 4 scanners, 2 moving heads, 2 color strips.

Nate Zifra:
While I have never done it, I think what you need is a device like below that has the ability to merge DMX, Artnet or SACN streams. I believe ShowXpress can output Artnet/SACN, but not sure about your other program.

Here is a device that may check the boxes, I'm sure there may be others:

https://www.dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmx2-pro

Paul G. OBrien:
Have you tried using one control system exclusively for color fill fixtures and the other for movers? I do this with some setups simply because I have different things programmed into different controllers and this is the easiest way to combine it all into one show.

Jeff Lelko:
Hi Jerome, in addition to the options that have already been suggested, is MIDI an option?  Software 1 would send MIDI commands based on the music to Software 2 which uses them to trigger various playbacks and whatnot.  In this type of setup only Software 2 would be transmitting DMX.  Hope this helps!

duane massey:
https://www.elmvideotechnology.com/store/dmx-merger-dmg-2x1?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwb3rBRDrARIsALR3XeYMBYhsKH-E_tsy9p0TBjyvPzWMHc0umoUpzPmg8RTPYaAT676W9MsaAhJyEALw_wcB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version