ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge two seperate DMX lighting software somehow?  (Read 3725 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
Bridge two seperate DMX lighting software somehow?
« on: September 04, 2019, 11:57:08 AM »

I have two pieces of software, each one does something well and the other not so well.  Curious if there is a way to "bridge" them.

Software 1 - runs off of a DJ program.  It analysis the songs and builds light scenes that follow the tempo of the song and the intensity, does a good job finding verses/choruses/bridges etc and changing the scenes at that time.  It does a pretty decent job of creating a "custom" light show out of the box really.

However - it does not allow the use of gobos or prisms in moving heads/scanners, lacks effects "all white strobe", gobos on dance floor, haze control etc.

I also have Chauvet Showxpress.  I have created awesome light shows with it when I do band shows, however running lights while doing DJ work can be daunting since you are always moving two steps ahead on selecting and syncing music.  Occasionally however I would like to use the power of Showxpress (lets say for blinders, or a static scene for pre music, or to apply gobos since the other software doesnt allow this). 

They both have their own usb device, so I imagine there is not a way to do this, but with the advancements in software I didnt know if there is a way to make them "work together" or have showxpress sit on top of the reckordbox software so it overrides DMX channels when I click something in Showxpress.

I also am using the Donner wireless system currently to feed the lights.  8 pars, 4 scanners, 2 moving heads, 2 color strips.

Nate Zifra

Re: Bridge two seperate DMX lighting software somehow?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 04:21:12 PM »

While I have never done it, I think what you need is a device like below that has the ability to merge DMX, Artnet or SACN streams. I believe ShowXpress can output Artnet/SACN, but not sure about your other program.

Here is a device that may check the boxes, I'm sure there may be others:

https://www.dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmx2-pro

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 07:06:19 PM »

Have you tried using one control system exclusively for color fill fixtures and the other for movers? I do this with some setups simply because I have different things programmed into different controllers and this is the easiest way to combine it all into one show.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:12:12 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:35:17 PM »

Hi Jerome, in addition to the options that have already been suggested, is MIDI an option?  Software 1 would send MIDI commands based on the music to Software 2 which uses them to trigger various playbacks and whatnot.  In this type of setup only Software 2 would be transmitting DMX.  Hope this helps!

duane massey

Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 01:23:43 AM »

I also am using the Donner wireless system currently to feed the lights.  8 pars, 4 scanners, 2 moving heads, 2 color strips.

Slight swerve, but these guys along with a voltage regulator work flawlessly with the donner wireless systems. I have converted all my lights. Just tap an internal dc source to the regulator, measure output voltage and dial in 5 volts, wire up the transceiver, drill a hole and mount the antenna, drill 2 more holes for the led indicator/channel selector switch and hot glue the 2 boards in place. Internal wireless - no batteries to charge or big ass sticks sticking out of the fixture, nice clean look.

Another trick is that the receivers are also transmitters. Using a same gender xlr coupler, hook 2 receivers together, put one on a different color frequency. It will automatically detect the dmx from the first receiver through the xlr and transmit in the new color frequency. Good for extending around corners, long distance, etc.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:27:04 AM by Len Zenith Jr »

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:32:41 AM »

The other software is built into pioneers DJ system.  It's the rb1 dongle that runs off rekordbox.  I will do some digging into this option and we if it may work!

While I have never done it, I think what you need is a device like below that has the ability to merge DMX, Artnet or SACN streams. I believe ShowXpress can output Artnet/SACN, but not sure about your other program.

Here is a device that may check the boxes, I'm sure there may be others:

https://www.dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmx2-pro

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 09:34:05 AM »

That might be were I end up going with this, use the DJ software to handle the pars and showxpress for the intelligent lights. Then atleast it wouldn't be quite so daunting to run lights and keep music going at the same time.

Have you tried using one control system exclusively for color fill fixtures and the other for movers? I do this with some setups simply because I have different things programmed into different controllers and this is the easiest way to combine it all into one show.

Jerome Casinger

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 09:36:07 AM »

I will have to try that and see if they can talk.  I know they both can use an external MIDI controller (I use the launchpad in showexpress) but mebrr looked to see of MIDI from SW1 can trigger SW2.

Hi Jerome, in addition to the options that have already been suggested, is MIDI an option?  Software 1 would send MIDI commands based on the music to Software 2 which uses them to trigger various playbacks and whatnot.  In this type of setup only Software 2 would be transmitting DMX.  Hope this helps!

Mal Brown

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 03:25:50 PM »

DMX Merge from Fleenor ?

Ack!  He wants $1496 for that box...   pass.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:29:51 PM by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 03:25:50 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 24 queries.