ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anything on DB Tech Opera Unica 12  (Read 1732 times)

Bernard Fernand

Anything on DB Tech Opera Unica 12
« on: September 01, 2019, 11:38:28 PM »

Hey Guys. Anyone try or have the Opera Unica 12 from DB Tech? I saw this speaker out for a while but doesn't see any reviews about it. Specs look pretty good but we all know how that goes. How does it compare to the PRX812 or DSR112? Thanks in advance.

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
Re: Anything on DB Tech Opera Unica 12
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »

Hey Guys. Anyone try or have the Opera Unica 12 from DB Tech? I saw this speaker out for a while but doesn't see any reviews about it. Specs look pretty good but we all know how that goes. How does it compare to the PRX812 or DSR112? Thanks in advance.

Full disclosure, I'm a Db Tech dealer. That said, I've had some limited experience with this speaker. At it's price point, it's a good value. It's lightweight, looks good, has some on board DSP /presets, flexible input options and generally sounds pretty good. I sold a pair of standard Opera 12s (not Unica) to a local musician that uses them for duo gigs (guitar, electric piano, vocals) and he's quite happy with them. I used one as an extra stage monitor with a local rock cover band and it did just fine. I've not had an opportunity to really run it to it's limits, so I can't speak to how well it holds up under those circumstances.

It is what it is.... a plastic, multi purpose speaker. My limited experience with it is generally positive, but I'd suggest trying to get a demo from a local dealer if possible. Depending on your intended usage, it may be exactly what you're looking for. While I believe it's a good value, I wouldn't consider this a "pro" level box.

I don't have any experience with the PRX or DSR boxes, so I can't say how it performs compared to them. My experience with other dB Tech products leads me to believe that it will at least keep up with those other offerings. Db Tech in general, offers a lot of bang for the buck across all of their products. I just don't have enough experience with this speaker to really offer a lot of detailed information. Hopefully this is of some help to you.

I sold a few of the Opera 10s to a local wedding / banquet hall and they are thrilled with them.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:25:08 AM by Gary Greyhosky »
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »

I used one as an extra stage monitor with a local rock cover band and it did just fine. I've not had an opportunity to really run it to it's limits, so I can't speak to how well it holds up under those circumstances.

It is what it is.... a plastic, multi purpose speaker. My limited experience with it is generally positive, but I'd suggest trying to get a demo from a local dealer if possible. Depending on your intended usage, it may be exactly what you're looking for. While I believe it's a good value, I wouldn't consider this a "pro" level box.

It looks like the very wide, down tilted HF pattern is a crossover from the Ingenia series, and I can see the potential benefits in FOH type use.
It could be an issue with monitor usage though, did you find any problems with excessive spill in that situation?
Thanks,
David.

Gary Greyhosky

• Carlisle, PA
    • Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 02:28:37 PM »

It looks like the very wide, down tilted HF pattern is a crossover from the Ingenia series, and I can see the potential benefits in FOH type use.
It could be an issue with monitor usage though, did you find any problems with excessive spill in that situation?
Thanks,
David.

In the single show I used the speaker as a monitor, I did not have any issues. It was used as a wedge with a few vocal channels, some keyboard and a bit of opposite stage guitar in the mix. Loud, but not excessive. Band is about 95-100 dBA on stage. I agree that the asymmetrical horn is not ideal for monitor applications, and it could be problematic in some situations.
Gary Greyhosky
Managing Partner
Alliance Audio & Event Technology LLC

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 02:28:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.