ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SM80M versus SM80...SOS use  (Read 5911 times)

Steve Crump

SM80M versus SM80...SOS use
« on: September 01, 2019, 05:46:15 pm »

I looked at other posts here about the SM80M but I didn't find anything that specifically answered this question:
If a SM80M (as opposed to a SM80) is being used for SOS duty for small outdoor shows, typically community events with live bands, bag chairs, in the street less than 600 people (just trying to give a good picture). What would be the advantages and/or disadvantages based on this type use. Another forum member mentioned the SM80M as an option as a SOS and it really peaked my curiosity.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: SM80M versus SM80...SOS use
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 03:02:47 am »

That's how I use them.
I get them high and tilt them down with my Anglers.
Work great!
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve Crump

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 11:21:49 am »

That's how I use them.
I get them high and tilt them down with my Anglers.
Work great!

So, you are using the SM80M for SOS? I see a lot of walk up posts and videos with the SM80 that are boasting about the intelligibility and coherence and what I am wondering do you lose any of those qualities when using the different cabinet design?

Thanks for any insight.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 02:59:01 pm »

The SM80M says it goes lower in frequency than the SM80, but a part of me wonders if that measurement was done while half-space loaded or calculated for half-space loading? They weigh the same and have the same SPL potential, so I am not sure where the extra 60hz of frequency response was created other than perhaps box tuning or perhaps a different way of measuring to make it's intended use more relevant. To me, if the SM80M is everything an SM80 is, it would make more sense to just buy all SM80M's. It can pull double duty and you would have a larger box count of the same type of speaker.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 03:40:41 pm »

The SM80M says it goes lower in frequency than the SM80, but a part of me wonders if that measurement was done while half-space loaded or calculated for half-space loading? They weigh the same and have the same SPL potential, so I am not sure where the extra 60hz of frequency response was created other than perhaps box tuning or perhaps a different way of measuring to make it's intended use more relevant. To me, if the SM80M is everything an SM80 is, it would make more sense to just buy all SM80M's. It can pull double duty and you would have a larger box count of the same type of speaker.

Danley measures their products as they will be used:  subs on the ground (half space) and top boxes in the air (free space).  I'm pretty sure that Ivan addressed this fairly recently.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:54:28 pm by Tim McCulloch »
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Brian Bolly

• A Tale of Two Continents
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 03:46:18 pm »

subs on the ground (half space) and top boxes in the air (quarter space)

Not to be pedantic, but 1/4 space would be considered putting a box on a floor up against a wall, and up in the air would be free space.  The half space description is correct though.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 04:54:09 pm »

Not to be pedantic, but 1/4 space would be considered putting a box on a floor up against a wall, and up in the air would be free space.  The half space description is correct though.

Fixed, thanks.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 05:28:56 pm »

The SM80M is tuned for lower frequency and is a ported cabinet, unlike the SM80.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, VTC, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, OnPoint Audio, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Road Ready, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, Whirlwind, On-Stage, more...

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 05:46:11 pm »

The SM80M is tuned for lower frequency and is a ported cabinet, unlike the SM80.

As well as being ported, I believe the SM80M is also a slightly larger cabinet. I seem to remember Ivan mentioning that the sealed cabinet of the SM80 has some type of effect on the impedance of the cabinet when played at high volume.

jeremy Young

• Audio Production: Live Concerts & Special Events
    • Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 06:13:40 pm »

The SM80M also does not have fly points like the SM80 does, which may be something to consider for a multi-use cabinet.  The other main distinctions are the ported versus sealed cabinets and the bi-amp switch on the M.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
High Efficiency - High Fidelity - High Portability

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 06:13:40 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.