ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Speakers for 30 ft x 50 ft Space  (Read 7523 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Powered Speakers for 30 ft x 50 ft Space
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »

What's the actual purpose of this?  Is this just a workshop setting to get some music for personal enjoyment out of it?

Your desire for 'concert quality sound' should come with the realization that concert quality sound really isn't all that great.

Compression drivers are great at moving air great distances, but the actual sound quality isn't all that awesome.  Looking at getting some reference monitors might provide you with a MUCH, MUCH better listening experience.

I know I love my JBL SRX stuff, but there's no way I'd use those speakers for personal listening!
Brian Jojade

Dan Erni

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 07:22:54 PM »

What's the actual purpose of this?  Is this just a workshop setting to get some music for personal enjoyment out of it?

Your desire for 'concert quality sound' should come with the realization that concert quality sound really isn't all that great.

Compression drivers are great at moving air great distances, but the actual sound quality isn't all that awesome.  Looking at getting some reference monitors might provide you with a MUCH, MUCH better listening experience.

I know I love my JBL SRX stuff, but there's no way I'd use those speakers for personal listening!

Would be for personal listening.  I did this with my DJ equipment nearly 20 years ago and enjoyed it greatly.  I agree that my 5.1 surround sound home system with subwoofer provides a more accurate listening experience, but at much lower max volumes.  I equally enjoy the higher SPLs and bass "experience" from a system with larger amps and drivers.

Dan Erni

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 07:24:32 PM »

Personally, I feel the DXR is not suitable for music playback. I cannot imagine the BXR being better.

I'm looking at the DBR10 speakers and don't have any leads on the DXR or BXR series you mention.  Any thoughts on the DBR series?

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »

Right now I'm leaning towards two powered 12" two-way mains and one or two 15" or 18" subs.  Just not sure how available good powered speakers are.
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking at powered? You may find that the "personality" (dynamics, EQ, crossover/drive/port distortions when pushed, how your power amp goes into clipping or limiting - I could go on...) you enjoyed as a DJ will not be accessible with the canned processing in any reasonably priced powered speaker. These sonic traits will be neutered.

In other words, if you want control over, to be able to use, these "bad" things to create your  signature sound, then you will be disappointed with budget powered tops. Powered subs are similar, but less so. Try using a Kosmos-type LF generator to liven up old recordings that had no real bass, and you will find that the powered sub's built in DSP will filter out most of it.

It is not about sonic accuracy; it's what do you want it to sound like.

I recommend borrowing an Sx300, as they can be had for cheap at *rhymes with cheesy* in nearly new condition. You will hear an abundance of clarity (you referred to it as "bright") and pretty satisfying bass. This is as close to a "full-range cabinet" as I've experienced at this level (my level, my opinion, of course). Add sub to taste. Be prepared, as the Sx300 will easily keep up with a dual 18".

-Dennis
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:33:45 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Dan Erni

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 07:14:37 AM »

I was leaning towards powered speakers because they seem like a good value compared to the price of two passive speakers plus a separate amp, and would tidy up the install a bit.  My workshop will be dusty, so was hoping to find powered speakers that don't have a fan.  However, you raise a good point though about desired sonic inaccuracies.  There is a pair of SX100s about 70 miles south of me for $200, and a pair of SX500s about 3 hours north of me for $450, so certainly in my price range.  I'll see if I can get over to listen to one set of them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2019, 07:14:37 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.