ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Speakers for 30 ft x 50 ft Space  (Read 7520 times)

Matthias McCready

Re: Powered Speakers for 30 ft x 50 ft Space
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 12:37:43 AM »

Appreciate your thoughts and opinions.  Will keep an eye open for SRX 8xx series speakers.  A quick look at Craigslist and Reverb confirms your statement on pricing - even used 8xx speakers are holding their value.  If I was to lower my expectations, what would you suggest as the next best option?  Keep in mind the room is 30'x50', so hopefully that justifies some smaller (and possibly less expensive) mains to be used.  Thanks for your input.
Well you could get one SRX top... but that would neither be stereo nor satisfy your low frequency desires.

I hate to take things in this direction...  :o but maybe a PA system isn't what you need?

Check around for a used pair of Cerwin Vega RE30's, they get VERY loud and they even have a fuse if you push them too hard. They sound better than must PA speakers cheaper than a QSC K. They can be picked up for between $50-400, depending on how hard you look...

If you felt you needed more low end look into a HSU Research VTF-15H MK2. It is a fun sub!  8)

No this isn't PA gear, but I don't honestly think you will find anything that sounds decent in the PA category for your budget.

That is the best I can think of without someone giving away gear, and best of all it is roughly in the budget. Happy wife, happy life  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:53:07 AM by Matthias McCready »
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 01:33:27 AM »

My tiny rig for open mic stuff with filler music is 2 Turbosound iQ8 over 2 iQ15b. That's about $2800 ish from a dealer. I'm on a budget too and its what I chose. YMMV

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 07:06:44 PM »

Appreciate your thoughts and opinions.  Will keep an eye open for SRX 8xx series speakers.  A quick look at Craigslist and Reverb confirms your statement on pricing - even used 8xx speakers are holding their value.  If I was to lower my expectations, what would you suggest as the next best option?  Keep in mind the room is 30'x50', so hopefully that justifies some smaller (and possibly less expensive) mains to be used.  Thanks for your input.

A pair of Turbosound M10's for tops - turn the HF knob on the back down by 1 tick. 

Sub(s) are hard, there aren't any decent self-powered subwoofers, new or commonly used, for under $500.  A powered JTR Captivator 212 is probably the best you'll find. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 04:24:56 AM »

Well you could get one SRX top... but that would neither be stereo nor satisfy your low frequency desires.

I hate to take things in this direction...  :o but maybe a PA system isn't what you need?

Check around for a used pair of Cerwin Vega RE30's, they get VERY loud and they even have a fuse if you push them too hard. They sound better than must PA speakers cheaper than a QSC K. They can be picked up for between $50-400, depending on how hard you look...

If you felt you needed more low end look into a HSU Research VTF-15H MK2. It is a fun sub!  8)

No this isn't PA gear, but I don't honestly think you will find anything that sounds decent in the PA category for your budget.

That is the best I can think of without someone giving away gear, and best of all it is roughly in the budget. Happy wife, happy life  ;)  ;D

Where are you?  If you are in driving distance to Cleveland we have  a ton of used stuff in that price range that is really heavy but would literally pressurize that space.  Some Behringer 18" B series cabinets with redesigned ports and loaded with B&C drivers.  One sub, a couple of  JBL SR tops and two power amps could be had for that price. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dan Erni

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 06:47:03 PM »

Hello all and thanks for the responses and suggestions.  Unfortunately I'm a pretty good distance from Cleveland.

I have Craigslist searches set up for Yamaha powered speakers, K series QSC speakers, EV SX series passive speakers and a few other brands.  I have also been checking out local pawn and resale shops.  Seems like the EV SX speakers are well thought of, but my limited experience using and listening to EV speakers is that they are very bright sounding.  My workshop will have smooth walls, so an already bright sounding speaker might be a bad fit.  I'll post if anything I think might be good becomes available.  I have time (several months) so can afford to wait for the right thing to come up.

Thanks again to all.

Dan Erni

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 06:59:43 PM »

I should also mention my "test" for subwoofers.  My old DJ cabinets had two 15" woofers in each cabinet, powered by a Crest Audio V1500 amp.  The woofers were mounted face out on the front of the cabinet, one above the other, with two ports in between.  The cabinets had angled sides, so the back panel was narrower than the front.  Certainly nothing fancy about them.  They sounded fantastic, with plenty of mid bass and, to my ears, low bass.  They provided physical bass, and bass that seemed to surround and press on your entire body.  One of my favorite songs to play was Alive by Pearl Jam.  There are very low bass guitar notes at 2:27, 2:33, 2:38 and 2:44 that many (most?) people have never heard.  I hope to find a sub that can duplicate or improve on my old ones.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:03:56 PM by Dan Erni »

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 11:44:18 PM »

I should also mention my "test" for subwoofers.  My old DJ cabinets had two 15" woofers in each cabinet, powered by a Crest Audio V1500 amp.  The woofers were mounted face out on the front of the cabinet, one above the other, with two ports in between.  The cabinets had angled sides, so the back panel was narrower than the front.  Certainly nothing fancy about them.  They sounded fantastic, with plenty of mid bass and, to my ears, low bass.  They provided physical bass, and bass that seemed to surround and press on your entire body.  One of my favorite songs to play was Alive by Pearl Jam.  There are very low bass guitar notes at 2:27, 2:33, 2:38 and 2:44 that many (most?) people have never heard.  I hope to find a sub that can duplicate or improve on my old ones.

That's a low E.

41hz

Dan Erni

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 07:35:41 AM »

That's a low E.

41hz

Thanks for this info - I knew it had to be a pretty low frequency.  My old subs would reproduce that note at the same loudness as the rest of the bass notes in the song.  It was about 50% hear/50% feel with occasional rattles from things in the house and lots of air from the ports.

Dan Erni

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 05:08:26 PM »

Based on the low E frequency explained above, I'd be very pleased with subs that are 3 db down around 40 hz and capable of 120 db at that frequency.  I'm looking at some used Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers for the higher frequencies, with a sub/main crossover point somewhere between 80 hz - 120 hz (whatever sounds best in the room).  I think I can get them for around $350 apiece.  I know that doesn't leave much for the sub, but again I can wait a bit for the right bargain to come along.  Any opinions on the Yammies for this particular application?

Matthias McCready

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 03:43:25 PM »

Based on the low E frequency explained above, I'd be very pleased with subs that are 3 db down around 40 hz and capable of 120 db at that frequency.  I'm looking at some used Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers for the higher frequencies, with a sub/main crossover point somewhere between 80 hz - 120 hz (whatever sounds best in the room).  I think I can get them for around $350 apiece.  I know that doesn't leave much for the sub, but again I can wait a bit for the right bargain to come along.  Any opinions on the Yammies for this particular application?

Personally, I feel the DXR is not suitable for music playback. I cannot imagine the DBR being better.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 11:28:57 AM by Matthias McCready »
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 03:43:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.