ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: PC audio to sound desk  (Read 7049 times)

Philip Ridout

PC audio to sound desk
« on: August 31, 2019, 07:00:54 AM »

Hey guys,

In our church we have a projection pc which we need to get sound to the sound desk. Currently somebody has run a 25m 3.5mm jack cable, but it sound terrible! What would be the best option to improve this?

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: PC audio to sound desk
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »

Hey guys,

In our church we have a projection pc which we need to get sound to the sound desk. Currently somebody has run a 25m 3.5mm jack cable, but it sound terrible! What would be the best option to improve this?

3.5mm jack via short cable into a stereo DI Box then cover the main distance with XLR (mic) cable to the desk, or USB output to an audio interface and use the interface's balanced outs to feed the long cable to the desk.

MikeHarris

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 11:14:57 AM »

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 12:50:43 PM »

Hey guys,

The best way:

https://www.radialeng.com/product/usb-pro

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 04:05:41 PM »

The best way:

+1!

I own and use both and the Radial unit gets used both first and most often.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 12:49:45 AM »

The best way:

For sure!  I once compared a Radial (forgot the exact model) to the Rapco LTIBLOX.  It was unreal how awful the other device sounded.  It was just another data point in the "Radial only" conclusion I've come to over the years.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 08:16:56 PM »

For sure!  I once compared a Radial (forgot the exact model) to the Rapco LTIBLOX.  It was unreal how awful the other device sounded.  It was just another data point in the "Radial only" conclusion I've come to over the years.

I think there's more going on than just the interface.

With a USB class-compliant interface you're bypassing the $0.29 headphone amp chip and DA converter and that is where the improvement comes from.

I used a Radial SB-5 and, using my ears, decided the Peavey USB interface gave a better output quality.  Not bashing the Radial product as it works as advertised - it's the source that was better.

Edit ps - I see you're not directly comparing the USB and 3.5mm TRS outputs, just overall perceived quality of the devices.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 09:20:48 PM »

With a USB class-compliant interface you're bypassing the $0.29 headphone amp chip and DA converter and that is where the improvement comes from.

100% this.  The brand and model of the hardware is far less important than the signal flow topology that the devices use.  There is simply no "better" way than computer>DAC>balanced line level amp>XLR or TRS line output.  One can nitpick the finer points between similar devices, but they're all vastly superior to any headphone level to line level conversion.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 07:38:35 AM »

Hey guys,

Are you plugging the audio cable directly into the computer or picking the audio off at the projector?
Is the sounds terrible sound hum and buzz or weak thin sound or a combination of both.

All the mentioned DI box or USB audio interfaces are the way to do it right.

That said is the cable your connection to the computer via the 3.5 tip ring sleeve / stereo plug going to a 1/4 inch tip ring sleeve plug that is plugged directly into a 1/4 input jack on your mixer?

If so a big part of the terrible sound your getting most likely is coming from the phase cancellation by connecting a stereo source to a balanced input connection.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 07:11:38 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 11:14:57 AM »

If so a big part of the terrible sound your getting most likely is coming from the phase cancellation by connecting a stereo source to a balanced input connection.

+1.

Good thing to rule out.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 11:14:57 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.