ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sole Source Vendor?  (Read 3579 times)

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
Sole Source Vendor?
« on: August 20, 2019, 01:08:39 PM »

I just did a quote for a installed sound system for local school.  In the past, when a quote exceeds the amount that requires multiple bids, it has been set out to bid.  This time my contact has ask me if I could submit a letter stating that I am a Sole Source Vendor, in order to not have to send a proposal out to bid.  Has anyone been able to justify themselves as Sole Source Vendor for a sound system installation?
Thanks,
Doug

Scott Hofmann

Re: Sole Source Vendor?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 05:27:01 PM »

Have you specified a product (speakers, amplifiers, etc.) that ONLY your company manufactures or is the authorized sales outlet for? If other vendors can supply the product, you are not a sole source.
Scott Hofmann

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 11:14:40 AM »

Including a service provision where you promise to be on-site within "x" hours of a emergency service call might be enough to qualify you as a "sole source", if nobody else can meet that specification.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 08:42:01 PM »

This time my contact has ask me if I could submit a letter stating that I am a Sole Source Vendor, in order to not have to send a proposal out to bid. 
My impression is that the Sole Source Vendor qualification is not intended as a loop-hole to circumvent the bid process involved with spending public funds.  And with that, it seems common that sooner or later, somehow or another, circumventing due process results in a big ole stink... and somebody's left holding the bag... and the person holding the bag is generally wherever the paperwork trail leads.  And I'm amazed what auditors can dredge-up out of the past as seemingly important and start asking pointed questions.

I'd say that if you submit a Sole Source Vendor letter, be very clear of what you're certain (can prove) that you're "sole source of"... which if it's no-more than "Doug Johnson of xyz location and company and EIN", so be it. 

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 02:40:34 AM »

Not sure about your local rules, but under the FAR, response time will not justify you as a sole source vendor without additional justification.

Generally, the contracting officer should have to run a "sources sought" solicitation before getting authorization to issue a non-competitive sole-source award. FAR requirement is "(6) A description of efforts made to ensure that offers are solicited from as many potential sources as is practicable, including whether a notice was or will be publicized as required by Subpart 5.2 and, if not, which exception under 5.202 applies."

All these rules are set up to foster competition between vendors, not to stifle it. That being said, people still try to circumvent the fair competition rules with varying degrees of success.

Now if you can get the contract award based on "best value" and not lowest price, you'd be onto a way to differentiate yourself.

Including a service provision where you promise to be on-site within "x" hours of a emergency service call might be enough to qualify you as a "sole source", if nobody else can meet that specification.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 02:40:34 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.