ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Higher End SOS - Low Weight with High Quality and Output (JTR, Danley, Fulcrum)  (Read 20289 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

I've carried TH118's upstairs with two guys before... One man using the built-in handles on the top back going up the stairs backwards.  The second man has the bottom front of the cabinet.  Pretty easy to handle if necessary.  A bottom handle like the Yorkville PSA2S has would make things easier.

The TH118XL being taller probably makes the process easier too.

Jeff
The TH118XL has a handle on the bottom and on the kickback plate between the wheels
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

For weddings and awkward jobs (I have done booze cruises), I simply add crew to the bill.

As far as resale of the JTRs... are you buying to resell, or buying to use. After you pay them back, what difference is the resell price?

I had no trouble selling my Growlers when they no longer fit my needs.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound

I don't have any, but I'm looking hard at the DB Technologies IG3T or IG4T for this type application.  I can't pick which model I want.  I have heard them both, and other users give them raving reviews.   The IG4T is 40 lbs., and the IG3T is less than 6 lbs. heavier.  My other DB gear has been rock solid with visiting engineers always commenting on how good the T12/S30N combo sounds.  Most say its as good as anything they have ever mixed on and really mean it.

Another good choice among many.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge

Hi Rich,

If pattern control at a distance and consistent off-axis response are considerations, the boxes with larger horns would be my first choice.

The Danley SM96 doesn't go as loud as the SM80, but it has a wider horizontal pattern and goes about an octave lower.
With a yoke, tilt angle is easily set to get sound on the audience.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Robert Lunceford

I don't have any, but I'm looking hard at the DB Technologies IG3T or IG4T for this type application.  I can't pick which model I want.  I have heard them both, and other users give them raving reviews.   The IG4T is 40 lbs., and the IG3T is less than 6 lbs. heavier.  My other DB gear has been rock solid with visiting engineers always commenting on how good the T12/S30N combo sounds.  Most say its as good as anything they have ever mixed on and really mean it.

Another good choice among many.

I have a pair of SM80 and a pair of IG4T. The dbtech are not in the same class as the Danleys. I was hoping they would come close as I love the convenience of active speakers. The IG4T is a nice package with great features but the SM80 is a far superior speaker.
The op should take a look at the new Meyer UltraX40.
52 lbs, active, lists for around $5600

Douglas R. Allen

I have a pair of SM80 and a pair of IG4T. The dbtech are not in the same class as the Danleys. I was hoping they would come close as I love the convenience of active speakers. The IG4T is a nice package with great features but the SM80 is a far superior speaker.

When you say " Far superior " could you explain in what way? The Ease data shows a single IG4T to have 2 db's more output and greater extension and smother response. For the price of a single SM80 before the cost of a proper amp with internal/external processing and cables needed for the setup to run it you can pick up 2 IG4T's. The correct comparison is 1 SM80 to 2 IG4T's a side if the cost is properly factored into the comparison.  Unless you know where I can get 2 Sm80's, power amps and cables for $3000?
   In the ease data below you'll see a single SM80 upper left corner. A single IG4T bottom left corner and a pair of stacked IG4T's just to the right of that. I'm sure the SM80 is a fantastic speaker but it does come with a cost as everything does.

Kindest Regards;
Douglas R. Allen

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:52:05 AM by Douglas R. Allen »

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...

When you say " Far superior " could you explain in what way? The Ease data shows a single IG4T to have 2 db's more output and greater extension and smother response. For the price of a single SM80 before the cost of a proper amp with internal/external processing and cables needed for the setup to run it you can pick up 2 IG4T's. The correct comparison is 1 SM80 to 2 IG4T's a side if the cost is properly factored into the comparison.  Unless you know where I can get 2 Sm80's, power amps and cables for $3000?
   In the ease data below you'll see a single SM80 upper left corner. A single IG4T bottom left corner and a pair of stacked IG4T's just to the right of that. I'm sure the SM80 is a fantastic speaker but it does come with a cost as everything does.

Kindest Regards;
Douglas R. Allen

Isn't it fairly obvious?  The SM80 with it's synergy horn flare vs a skinny direct radiating cabinet with four 6.5" lf drivers...

Frequency response curves aren't the only thing one should rely on, and this would be an example of why.

Best regards,

John

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.

I did a classical concert in a small venue the other day using a pair of Clair Brothers Kit12 with subs.

Not bad at all, I'd put them in the top five 12"/horn category I've used lately.
I have no idea if they're loud enough for your application.

Rich Riotto

Those Meyer UltraX40 look really sweet.  Great design to get sufficient LF from a dual 8.  Since we already have the K3 power amps, I think they might be a bit out of our price range, (even with dealer discount) and we can get better value from a high end passive.

I looked quite a bit at the IG4T, and even though I haven't heard them, I think they might be too similar to the NXL24 which I thought were a bit weak.

As for the question about re-sale, I always think of purchased gear as an asset, and re-sale value (equity) as a component of ROI.  Particularly, as the needs of the business have changed over time, I've always seen a lot of gear turnover.  At one time, we had four systems out at once, lots of bigger gear, etc.  Granted at this price level and market, we're not talking about a huge difference.  Also, I guess the point of this whole purchase is to find a long term "forever" (for lack of a better word) system...where at a reasonable price point, the re-sale becomes less of a factor.  It's good to know that you didn't have an issue selling the growlers.

Best,
Rich

Douglas R. Allen

Isn't it fairly obvious?  The SM80 with it's synergy horn flare vs a skinny direct radiating cabinet with four 6.5" lf drivers...

Frequency response curves aren't the only thing one should rely on, and this would be an example of why.

Best regards,

John

Thanks John;

Your informative and experienced reply made all the difference to me. I'm glad to know Ease Data supplied by the speakers own manufactures shouldn't be considered neither should the price. Certainly when the cost of the SM80 is more than 2 times overall the cost of a IG4T that is not a consideration that I would look at. Then again should Danley like to put their money where their mouth is and send me a speaker and amp so I could measure and hear them I'd be more than happy to and eat crow after if need be!  ;)  I'm waiting for a UPS truck to drive up now.....

Kindest Regards;
Douglas R. Allen   

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.